Adventure 1,218 members · 3,006 stories
Comments ( 10 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 10

I'm trying to write a fic, and I was hoping to include a lot of unique creatures along the journey. As we've seen before, Equestria is filled with "mythological" creatures, such as dragons, hydras, manticores, minotaurs, griffons, etc. What other kind of legendary animals might be in Equestria? I've composed a list of some that may be possible (including those that have been witnessed):

Changeling

Chimera

Cockatrice

Diamond dog

Dragon

Dragon, Earth (Lack of wings, Ex: Spike)

Gargoyle

Griffon

Hydra

Jabberwock

Manticore

Minotaur

Phoenix

Salamander, Fire

Spider, Giant

Stymphalian bird

Succubus

Taraxippus

Werewolf

Wolf:
Dire
Timber

Wyvern

Are there any others that you can think of? Your help is much appreciated.

One of my stories is going to feature a hippogriff. I think of them as rare kind of pony/griffin half breed.

Crocodile
Wolf:

These aren't exactly mythological.

1346547 I answered you in the EHS (Equestrian Historical Society), and I'll say it again here.

I know from the comics that there are Chupacabra, vampiric Jackelope, and pony-eating plants, and trolls. Then, if you need other monsters, you could try harpies, saurians, coeurls, and pony-shaped golems.

Are we just dealing with land creatures here? If not, there are these and others:

Krakens, Sirens, Gorgons, Wraiths, Basilisks, Centaurs, Harpies, Banshees, Ogres, Great Eagles, Trolls, Drakes and demons.

Good luck with your story :twilightsmile:

1346672 DEEEEEMOOONSSSSSSS! :pinkiecrazy:

1346547 Sea ponies, flutter ponies, ursa minor, ursa major, Cerberus, sea serpent, draconesus, the Smooze and liches are a few mythologic monster I can think of.

1346957 I actually used this initially, but I wasn't satisfied, so I came here. But thanks anyway.

Why bother ripping from traditional mythology? You can always make up your own. It does encourage some creativity and figuring out things. They can also help keep the tone and mythology of your story.

Demons for example can mess with your story. Demons are often tied into the religion they represent, particularly Christianity.

The show does it from time to time too, the changelings we saw in the show are not the same changelings as in Irish myhtology. They don't snatch and replace baby ponies.

Oh, and regarding dire wolves: they are not mythological, they were real. They are "just" extinct.

If you are really desperate for creature ideas, you can also always try the crazier Cryptozoology sites as well.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 10