Adventure 1,218 members · 3,006 stories
Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6

Alright everypony, well, right now I'm at a point in my writing where I'm nearing Derpy's training with the Order of Extraordinary Ponies (basically the Batmareverse's equivalent to the League of Asssassins). Right now I'm just covering her early training, nothing too advanced, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask if any of you have any suggestions for ponified-names of martial arts? If I have to use the real-world terms for some, I will, but I figure there has to be some good ponified versions out there, and maybe some of you can come up with some names that I haven't. For example, Chengar Qordath has his Krav Pega in place of Krav Maga in his Winningverse, so, how 'bout the rest of you? Any suggestions for ponified versions of Tae Kwon Do, Judo, Muay Thai, Karate, Boxing, Jujitsu, Ninjitsu, etc.? I'm open to any and all suggestions and would love to see what any of you can come up with!!!

I know Apple Bloom mentioned Kung Fu once in an episode.

Just rechecked that clip and it was karate, not kung fu, but thanks very much for the reminder! Now I know that karate at least is canon so perfectly acceptable to use if I can't think of an alternative name! :twilightsmile:

No, Apple Bloom claims to know kung fu in The Show Stoppers. She does briefly try karate during Call of the Cutie, though. (Notably, Rainbow Dash is apparently a black belt karateka.)

Also, holy crap, Apple Bloom knows kung fu! I have to make sure to remember that.

Hoof-jutsu, Equido (Equidae and Judo), and MCC (Modern Cavalry Combatives) are some ideas. Haute École is a classical performance in equestrianism that I think makes a good martial arts name. It means 'high school' according to wiki. Buzkashi, also called Kokpar, is a sport similar to polo from Central Asia. There is also Gymkhana. That's an English competition for riders on horseback (especially children of ponies). There's a Native American variation called O-Mok-See or Omoksee.

Hope that helped. :twilightsmile:

I just had a vision of Apple Bloom flipping Scootaloo. Don't know why... :pinkiehappy:

Hmmmm... Puns on martial art names are a bit difficult. I remember that Xenophilia, even though it's mostly a romance fic, had some references to martial arts. However, instead of using established names the author made up the styles. The unicorn's form of martial arts was the Silent Way, earth ponies had Rolling Earth, pegasi had Vortex Style. In short, cool-sounding and slightly cheesy names.
Soooooo, yeah... that's an option :twilightsheepish:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6