The Lunaverse 2,571 members · 202 stories
Comments ( 27 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 27
Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

It's that time of year ago when all the ponies out there gather together to celebrate the founding of Equestria, its Hearth's Warming!

As with the previous challenges the stories although set in the Lunaverse are non-canon and the consequences don't matter any story which is passed by the moderators is acceptable.

As always try to have fun and the challenge is open to everyone regardless of how little or how much you have written so it's a good place for first time writers to start with no pressure (I started with the February Hearts and Hooves Challenge, although I prefer not to think about my entry any more).

The closing for the event is the 25th although stories can be published at any point between now and then and I'm not going to bite your head off if you're a day or two late, its a busy time of year after all.

The general theme is (if you haven't guessed) Hearth's Warming, however, I'm suggesting a sub theme as well, family. Its the time of year for family to get together even if they can't stand each other for the rest of the time because although it might be cold outside (depending on what hemisphere you're in) love and friendship keeps you warm inside.

Some random family based suggestions if anyone is interested: -
* Corona and Luna (and maybe Cadence) call a truce for one day
* Trixie visits her family or they visit her
* Home with Bon Bon and Lyra
* Castor Cut and Dinky
* A Raindrop's family Hearth's warming (we may not have much, but we have each other)
* Hearth's warming on the farm with Carrot Top and family
* Puissance spends time with her children and grandchildren
* Twilight's first hearth's warming back with her family (they'll have to come to the library)
* Cheerilee alone for Hearth's warming? (Or are the foals her family?)

Happy writing!

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

And to quickly post my own story for the challenge

I'm hoping to publish the sequal to Pinkie and Bluie entitled Pinkie and Bluie Twoie: A Pinkie and Bluie Hearth's warming.

Pinkie Pie and Blueblood decide to spend the holiday together but when they find out that neither of them have spent a proper Hearth's warming with their family they set out to try and get their families together. Is one house big enough for both the Pie's and the Bluebloods?

2311147I'm probably going to get slapped for not knowing this but...Who the heck is Caster?

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

No slapping will take place here, possibly some tickling though

Castor Cut is Dinky and Sparklers father, Ditzy had an affair with him when she was young (see the excellent Family matters), Dinky's never actually met him and I thought that Hearth's warming might be a good time for them to get together.

2311256Ohh. :facehoof:Why did I not remember that? Anyways, nice concept for the event and I wish all the writers out there the best of luck!

:pinkiehappy:Merry Christmas, and Happy Hearts Warmming!

I had to think really hard to remember if I'd ever seen any story in any universe that featured Dinky and her biological father... and then I remembered that there was one a while back where a deaf Stallion and a Type 3 or 4 Derpy were Dinky's parents.

Castor Cut meeting Dinky would certainly be original.

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

I've seen one of two where Doctor Whooves is her biological dad, although most times she's adopted in that situation.

DagaYemar
Group Contributor

You have no idea how excited this makes me! Pinkie and Bluie is one of my favorite stories on this site! I can't wait!:pinkiehappy:

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

I'm a little nervous about getting it done in time and for it living up to the success of the original, but here goes.

Lev the Lurker
Group Contributor

A hard working family of Amish-ish rock farmers meets a family of...well, Bluebloods. Oh my, what delicious chaos :pinkiehappy:

I just hope May Bell (Castor's wife) doesn't show up. We don't need mirth ensuing.......

I Thought I Was Toast
Group Contributor

This reminds me... I need to start on There's Snowpony Here But Me at some point... And Banding Together Again... And I need to finish Half and Half... Yeah... I think I'm gonna pass on this one so if I do write it goes to the actual episodes I have planned... Maybe I should actually start There's Snowpony Here But Me given the time of year? Nows the perfect time of year to draw inspiration for a story that has liberal amounts of snow...

GrassAndClouds2
Group Admin

2312314: What are those stories again?

Hmmm I really want to write an angsty 'Luna is alone at H'sW, thinking of her sister' story but also a 'Cheerilee accidentally lets her students know that she'll be alone for the holiday and they sneak attack her w/presents or a party' story... :pinkiecrazy: down this road lies madness

I Thought I Was Toast
Group Contributor

Half and Half (or Half Arrogant, Half Crazy, All Trixie Lulamoon as it is properly called when not abreviated) was the one I've already started where Trixie messes up Luna's duplication spell causing her to split into two incomplete halves. One of which has all of Trixie's personal rules, inhibitions, and expectations causing her to be a nervous wreck too afraid of the consequences of her actions to do much of anything, and the other of which lacks all these things in such a way as to make her carefree and reckless on Lulamoon levels.

Banding Together Again was based on the idea that the equivalent of Woodstock or some other event was going to occur and Cheerilee needed to get her old band back together to perform after years without practice. Musing on where exactly the story would go ranged from simply a journey to find everypony to the event possibly taking place in Ponyville and Cheerilee trying to prevent the corruption of Ponyvilles youth (The joke that comes to mind is censoring all the songs by having them yell BEEP for any inapproriate parts or a parallel of that one How I Met Your Mother gag where Ted Refusing to directly claim that he or anyone he knew did drugs and instead calls it eating a sandwich, then having the foals ask naive questions about it...)

There's Snowpony Here But Me was the sort of Frosty the Snowman meets the Grinch meets Weeping Angels idea. Dinky and the foals accidentilly bring a Snowpony to life with a magic hat (Possibly Quartermoon the Magnificent's old hat or something... Maybe just something Twilight and Trixie were working on) . It tries to have some mischievious fun with the town, but no pony really gets it's there, or if they realize it they're really creeped out by the fact it only moves when no one is looking at it. Its heart becomes cold and it begins to purposely try to scare people since it doesn't seem to be able to do much else. The town gets ready to stop it. And then Dinky realizes what it really wants is a friend causing its heart (and the head the hat was magically frozen to) to melt and grow three sizes that day.

I have an Idea (I'm just not sure how to pull it off or write it though).

The idea, is that Corona finds a magical barrier at the north pole. Wondering what it's hiding, she tries to destroy the barrier. Only instead of destroying it, she passes through it and finds that she isn't exactly Corona anymore (she basically is made sane while inside the barrier, as she act and look like pre-Corona Celestia would. She'd still have all her memories as both).

She'd then meet 3 elves (of the warcraft type, all of them would be female though. Mainly, because the other died before the magic of the barrier, and be told what happened to her when she crossed over.

She then finds out that since the "Deliverer" has been phased out of the holiday of Hearth's Warming legend, his magic (and theirs') is fading away, and will vanish at 12 am on Hearths' Warming Day (the barrier will go down as well, meaning she will go back to being the insane Corona when it does).

After hearing this, Tia has a choice: Go to ponyville in her current form using the last of the elves' magic and save the life of a being she herself never believed in, and convince ponies that hate her to believe in him too. or go back to being Corona. She'd only have a few days to convince them before this happened. (mainly it'd give a writer a chance to show what the worlds' Celestia is really like without the insanity, and give a preview of how she could be handled after she is finally free of corruption).

Mainly, The Deliverer is the problem. I'd imagine him as Santa Claus, just physically younger (about 30ish), but aging due to his magic fading away. Yeah, the means he'd die if she failed.

It would give Luna some hope that Corona can be cured permanently, and restore some faith in Corona, that even though she and Luna are fighting, things will work out (even though once she's Corona again, she won't remember what really happened).

the other problem is why she'd not have the dragon or Zecora with her.

I just don't think I'm that good of a writer, so I'm not sure if I could pull it off.

Well, I didn't say it was a good idea. The point of it was that the Celestia side of Corona knew she was wrong with what she is doing as Corona and has a chance to to explain what happened to make go off the deep end.

The magic of the Elves and the Deliverer is suppose to be power by belief in the magic of the unknown. It can make the impossible happen, but only at one time of year (contrived, I know, but how else do you make Corona "not" Corona with the EoH? Discord?). Like I said, even if she succeeded, she'd still have to become Corona again.

Beside, the wonderful life plots and A Christmas Carol plots do get old after awhile.

I just thought it'd be interesting to see how a town that Hates her as Corona would react to her being nice and not calling them morons and traitors, or claim that they'd all been brainwashed by Luna.

And I never said it should be cannon. To pull it off you'd have to be a better writer than me (that's not hard, just read the fic I'm writing. I have grammatical and spelling errors, and I'm still scared I'm going to screw up the characterizations at some point. yeah, I don't have much confidence in my own writing abilities).

Anyone know if there have been any confirmations on Pokey's family? Like, if he has any siblings or other things like that.
I have an idea for a hearth's warming story with him. I don't think there's been much done with him, but I was wanting to get any cannon facts straight.

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

No, we don't know anything about Pokey's family.

I think you can expect your first entrant on the seventh or eighth. I do have some questions about how do post the story though, since this would be my first one.

I think I can figure out how to get it onto fimfiction, but I'm not sure about how to make it show up somewhere in the lunaverse. So, what do I need to do after it's actually posted on fimfiction?

vazak
Group Contributor

There should be three buttons at the bottom of the story 'box', it's the same 'line' where the character tags show up on the far right. The middle button is the folder button, you basically just click on it and it asks you to pick a group to submit it too.

Also, be careful with word docs, they don't copy paste well into fimfiction.

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

I'm fine with the first story being that early although you may want to delay it a bit to let things get a bit more festive.

I'll PM Rainbow about creating a folder for the Hearth's Warming stories.

Vazak's method works fine although you can also go to the folder in question and click the add story button then select your story.

I'm fine with the first story being that early although you may want to delay it a bit to let things get a bit more festive.

Good point. I think I will wait, in that case.

Thanks, I'll make sure to go over it once or twice before submitting it.

vazak
Group Contributor

Vazak's method works fine although you can also go to the folder in question and click the add story button then select your story.

You can!? :pinkiegasp: :facehoof: Hours of frustration wasted :twilightblush:

No problem. The least I could do all things considered. :scootangel:

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

If you want someone to look over the story I'm happy to lend a hand, my spelling and grammar isn't great but I might pick up on any of the more obvious problems.

I don't know if you use it but I find google documents copies over well.

I think I'll take you up on that. I'm more worried about getting the characterizations right though. Specifically, Trixie and Pokey.
Now to figure out how Gdocs actually works...

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 27