The Lunaverse 2,571 members · 202 stories
Comments ( 85 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 85
GreyGuardPony
Group Contributor

Those who have been paying attention to both the Brainstorming and Writer's Workshop threads, are probably aware that I am currently writing The Lunaverses take on The Running of the Leaves, as part of a competition against the nearby Hoofington.

It has been decided that Hoofington is where all of the OCs of Lunaverse fans/writers live. And as we have Ponyville and Hoofington throwing down in both a race and a prank war, well...I still need more. Especially earth pony OCs, as the Hoofington Cast is really skewed towards unicorns right now.

It should be noted, however, if your OCs are really out of the tone of the Lunaverse, I'll take their base concepts and re-write them to fit the Lunaverse better.

So, your author/reader OCs. Give them to me!

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

For reference...

Stormy Squall!

Special Talent: Creating big rainstorms. Less skilled when subtle weather is called for.
Job: Hoofington weather manager
Hobby: (self-perception) HERO OF EQUESTRIA! (everypony else) Being a nuisance.

Stormy Squall is what happens when you tell an overly imaginative foal at far too young an age that they're descended from one of the most famous pegasi in history, and also let them know that they actually look a rather lot like that pegasus. Her ancestor? None other than the legendary Commander Hurricane himself, one of the founders of Equestria and one-time leader of nearly the entire pegasus tribe (as well as a common ancestor for about 7% of it - he was an, ah, "prolific" stallion in his day)

Stormy claims that she didn't let the knowledge go to her head. This is sort of true, in that she doesn't expect pegasi to bow at her hooves or anything. Having said that, she does have a tendency to be...let's charitably call it enthusiastic. In her mind, she has to live up to the standards of her heritage: defeat monsters! Defend the meek! Direct the winds! Face every challenge and overcome them with the greatest of ease!

Sure, she's stymed by the fact that there aren't very many monsters in Equestria, that the meek don't need much defending thanks to a very open culture, that the winds can only be directed so much without conflicting with the weather of neighboring towns, and that her greatest challenge faced in life so far is the drudgery of paperwork. And maybe sometimes that gets to her a little bit. It's not like she did any permanent damage to those windmills. And yes, she was aware the whole time of the fact that they were windmills, not giants. But wouldn't it be far more fun if they were giants?

In short, Stormy Squall is the kind of pony who will make a mountain out of a molehill, not out of panic or overestimation of a situation's importance, but rather because the mountain is far more fun to climb.

La Vallett1
Group Contributor

3606446 Well, I guess I have to make one just for Lunaverse Hoofington.

Name: Codeine.

Tribe: Earth Pony.

Special Talent: Understanding and mixing medicines.

Cutie Mark: A pestle and mortar.

Occupation/Profession: Compounder.

Traits: Helpful, loyal, good at his work, likes to read (he visits the library in most of his spare time), intelligent.

Flaws: Strong inferiority complex, lacks social skills, clumsy.

I had much trouble trying to name him, so if you want to change it, do so.:twilightsheepish:

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

Might also be helpful to play around with GeneralZoi's pony creators. Version two or version three, whichever you prefer.

(I prefer version two)

La Vallett1
Group Contributor

3606589 Maybe tomorrow when I use the PC. Right now I'm on my tablet. Very slow tablet.:ajbemused: And my younger bro is playing Civ 5 right now and at war with the US as Shoshone.

So, yeah. Tomorrow.

La Vallett1
Group Contributor

3606589 Btw, are there compounders and pharmacists in the Lunaverse?

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

I'd certainly think so given the effective tech, Carrot Top can probably do a fair job of filling in if Ponyville doesn't have it's own.

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

I've used the term "apothecary" to mean basically the same thing, mostly 'cause I think it sounds more old-timey.

La Vallett1
Group Contributor

3606605 There were pharmacies in the 19th century though.:applejackunsure: But if you would like me to change it to 'herbalist' from 'compounder' then I might do so.

Alchemystudent
Group Contributor

Name: Story Teller

Cutie mark: A stack of books, meaning his special talent is telling stories.

Coat: Blue

Mane: light sea green

Race Pegasus

Job: Owner of the Treebrary bookstore ( now renamed the Treebrary memorial bookstore). He enjoys spending his time reading books; however, sometimes he gets too caught up in reading the books that he forgets his customers. He also likes to read the books out loud to himself in weird voices or to the foals that visit. He wears glasses because he is farsighted. The books that are stored in the bookstore also seem to be weirdly titled: Where Loyalties Lie, Fallout Equestria, Immortal Game, and other such books. He also likes ti write stories, though he hasn't published any recently.

She's not an OC, but I'd like to nominate Bluenote / Beauty Brass, since I haven't seen her much in the Lunaverse and it would be fun to see how her L!verse counterpart differs from G&C2's C!verse version.

That version walked through the Running of the Leaves with a pair of fillies, which probably (if unfairly) gives you a bit of an idea about her character. Some might call her lazy, as she has a tendency to cut corners at times, and she has a passion for good food.

GrassAndClouds2
Group Admin

3606650 : To be fair, she walked through it while leading some foals on a nature tour and even providing a delicious picnic lunch. :-)

Hmm, I'll give it a shot. Sounds fun. Lets see...
Night Glider
Age 21
Half Thestral (Hides bat wings under cloak. Looks normal otherwise.)
Cutie mark is a sharp feather dipped in ink
Likes to write, read and spend a lot of time exploring in the dark.
His job is to create stuff to help promote other ponies work. But he hopes to someday write a novel.
He is stubborn yet usually calm. Tends to be a bit of a pushover. His curiosity will usually land him trouble a lot. Always willing to help out a friend.

I don't have an OC, per say, but I do have a roleplay character, which may or may not be altogether helpful.
I'll copy and past her info here from my group's campaign wiki, if it's of use:

Akasha is... well, theatrical. How many actors have you met? She's a bit too much like most of them. If she's enthusiastic, she's exuberant. If she's sad, she's despondent. If she's angry, she's infuriated. While not unaccustomed to hard living and not getting everything she wants, she still frequently seems to think she can do anything. Sometimes it's admirable, other times she merely seems deluded. Rarely does anyone have a truly unkind word to say about her, though. Oddly-enough, her frequently over- exuberant attitude is rarely the first thing you'd notice about her. That'd more likely be the pipe and the odd smoke emitting from it. Akasha's primary means of bringing food to her table is that of a performer and storyteller. A talent at which she excels. Whispering tales and secrets with such earnest conviction one sometimes forgets they could ever be fabrications. She weaves her words as she weaves her smoke, tendrils of the dark vapors cascading into another, twisting together and blossoming apart to create anything she can imagine. Great monsters, huge and terrible, to something as small as a breezie or less, hundreds if needed. Sometimes she even sets up great bonfires, and breathes her pipe smoke into the inferno to craft the smoke into castles and giants far above. She's not known to ever be without her pipe, wisps of smoke twisting around her in innumerable patterns and shapes, obeying her whims even without the theatrics and reflecting the thoughts and desires of the chain-smoking zebra. The smoke, for its part, isn't bad-smelling. A bit like burning pine and nettles. If asked Akasha generally replies it's zebra alchemy and, respecting a magician's secrets, most leave it at that (and get a bit of their own animated-smoke pipe stuffing for their interest).

Blue-green eyes and a fairly dark grey, even for a zebra, coat with darker stripes that complement the tendrils of smoke idly twisting about her very nicely. Her mane's composed of white and black and "styled" not altogether unlike a mop. Her tail has a bit of a messy braid that quickly undoes itself not far from the base.

While she wears jewelry from time to time, especially for a performance, her only consistent adornment is a necklace with many colorful, eclectic, irregular beads. If asked she'd admit that while many of the beads bring memories of places, people, moments, stories or jokes, many more are simply very pretty.

...also, in case it matters, I roleplay her as a rhyming-all-the-time zebra.

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

Hmm, that is weird (about the pictures).

Why is it a .gif? And have you considered using a different image host, like tinypic?

Thestrals don't exist in the Lunaverse (they were kind of de-canonized before Faust made her post confirming their existence, and we decided to stick with their not existing rather than trying to force them in somewhere). Would you be peeved if Night Glider were just a pegasus?

...what .gif? It's a PNG.
I link the pictures right underneath where they are supposed to of shown up.

I've tried a couple hosts already so far. I'll see about using tinypic.

Edit: Tinypic worked.

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

Huh. I tried to open it and it was a .gif for some reason...

RK_Striker_JK_5
Group Contributor

3606446 I don't think I can get one done this weekend. Can I submit one monday, please?

It was a png on my computer, then I thought it was still a png when I uploaded it. Tinypic seems to have turned it into a jpg, though, so maybe it was the hosting service I was using.

GreyGuardPony
Group Contributor

Not bad! A town always needs their apothecary/drugist after all!

Also nice. I totally picture him setting up a booth at the festival to sell some of his books, and then immediately being swooped upon by Twilight Sparkle.

I like this idea! Totally for using alternate versions of alternate Mane!Sixes in the Lunaverse. I do have a great deal of fun playing the alternate universe shuffle. :twilightsmile:

Gotta echo RDD on this one, as much as it saddens me that thestrals aren't canonical in the Lunaverse. Would you accept a pegasus as a substitute?

While I am totally fine with Hoofington getting a zebra (every town gets issued one at its founding :derpytongue2: ), I probably won't write her rhyming, just because its rather...tricky to do at times. :twilightsheepish:

Natch. :twilightsmile: Go ahead and submit him/her whenever you get the chance RK. I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

Not writing her rhyming is perfectly fine. It's really just more a party trick of mine.

Emeral Bookwise
Group Admin

I'd be all for seeing Bluenote / Beauty Brass, show up in the Lunaverse at some point, but Hoofington probably isn't the right place, since she's not an OC.

Still, as musician she's a good character to keep in mind for a future Lyra and/or Octavia fic.

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

Ok, here's mine.

Thorny Talon

Thorny is a researcher from the university of Houhynym who arrived in Hoofington the better part of a decade ago to study the flora and fauna of the Everfree. He spends about half of his time collecting samples from the Everfree often camping out for weeks at a time and the rest writing up his findings. He can be extremely forgetful and seems to be oblivious to almost everything which doesn't relate to his job. Of which he is often obsessive about.

His special talent is surviving dangerous plants and animals which is just as well given his job.

Thorny is married to a local builder, Rosie Rivet an extremely large and gregarious earth pony mare. She began to court him not long after he arrived in town and they married not to long after that. There is a running joke around town that Rosie didn't actually tell him they were getting married and he hasn't actually noticed yet. In truth he truly does love his wife he's just not very good at showing it in public, and yes does forget about her just a little sometimes. Rosie is ok with her husbands 'business' trips into the Everfree, it keeps him from getting under hoof and absence does make the heart grow fonder after all. She can't help worry just a little if he's gone to long though.

They have a single child, a daughter called Sprout. She wants to grow up to be just like her father but both of her parents agree that she is much to young to go with him, a fact she disagrees with. She is a very active child involved in several sports and clubs at school. She is very personable and enthusiastic about almost everything.

I'll toss this guy in the ring if you want to use him:

Can't say that I've thought hard enough to have come up with a name or backstory, though.

GreyGuardPony
Group Contributor

Ahh! SophieCabra, I'd recognize her work anywhere.

Especially since I got her to draw my OC too. :pinkiehappy:

3607254 Haha, yep. Saw her mention having a few open commission slots on twitter a month or two back and managed to snag one.

thatguyvex
Group Contributor

I don't really have an OC per se, just my avatar, but I can whip up a simple backstory for him I suppose, if you need random background ponies for your story.

Name: Wordsworth
Race: Unicorn
Cutie Mark/Special Talent: A pen drawing a curving line, representing his fondness and talent for creative flights of fancy and an obsession with recording everything in text.
Occupation: Self employed chronicler of everything that exists and a lot of things that don't. Some might refer to him as a "homeless bum" as well, but really, that's just a matter o semantics.

Wordsworth is a drifter who left his middle-class family in Manehattan to see the world and, in his own words "Travel the world to document its infinite splendor, tragedy, and comedy with the immortal power of ink and paper!" He goes from town to town making it a point to talk with everypony he meets, because to him everypony has a story to tell, and he's the pony to immortalize it in his ever growing collection of haphazard notebooks. Aside from collecting stories from others he also is prone to creative fancies himself and will write down any old idea that flits through his head; his notebooks filled with dozens of short stories inspired by his travels.

As his talent is in creativity more than craft his writings aren't quite the kind suited to mass publication, and instead he makes bits either by selling short pieces to local newspapers, or by dong any odd job he can get his hooves on. That or relying on the old standby of dumpster diving. You'd be surprised what ponies will throw out that's perfectly edible!

Wordsworth is cheerful, perhaps to the point of irritation, and nosy to the extreme, often lacking any sensible notion of personal space or social shame. He is the kind who can go up to a complete stranger and striking up a conversation, asking personal questions that most people would hesitate to ask even close friends. Sometimes his relentless friendliness and amiable aura wins others over, other times it just makes him a pest. Either way Wordsworth doesn't seem to take it personally if he's given the cold shoulder or rebuffed, he just grins and moves on to his next victim...er... friend.

Currently he's probably spent a few months in Hoofington, taking up a side job or two while doing his usual routine of gathering stories and either making friends or annoying those he meets. Any word of an event like the Running of the Leaves will instantly tickle his "Story Sense" and draw him to it like a moth to the flame, pen and notebook ready to write.

Emeral Bookwise
Group Admin

Aww... such a sweet couple. I love that it was Rosie who courted him. It's good to see that in our gender neutral Equestria the female can take on the dominant role in a relation. I also like the joke about him seeming to have never noticed getting married, though I do wonder how ponies that indulge in such opinions explain his daughter; one might think he'd have noticed that if nothing else. :raritywink:

Speaking of his daughter, probably a good thing that the Lunaverse is different than the show without Zecora living in the Everfree and Apple Bloom's habit oof visiting her. Otherwise it'd probably much harder to convince little Sprout that she's too young to take fieldtrips with daddy. :scootangel:

I was hoping you'd have an OC to submit. I must say though, he and Clover seem like they could make the perfect couple.

3606883 Sure, I'm cool with that.:twilightsmile:

thatguyvex
Group Contributor

Indeed, but then that's in part by design on my end. :rainbowlaugh:

GreyGuardPony
Group Contributor

*raises an eyebrow*

Hmmm.

*makes a note of that*

Emeral Bookwise
Group Admin

No problem. I made that avatar for you after all, so you for all intents and purposes you more or less have her "father's" blessing, such as it were.

So do we have to be a certified L!verse author to contribute an OC? Cause I've been toying with an idea for one lately.

GrassAndClouds2
Group Admin

3607809 : I don't have an OC, so you can just use my slot, if you want.

GreyGuardPony
Group Contributor

That's okay. The grass on the ground and the clouds in the sky can count as your OC! :rainbowwild:

Emeral Bookwise
Group Admin

Author or not, you're a regular on these forums so I'd support you contributing an OC for Hoofington. Though really, I'd say anyone can contribute an OC as it's ultimately up to GreyGuard who all to include.

3607840 Oh, wow I wouldn't want to take your spot in the team. If anybody here gets an OC it'd be you. I'll put mine up and see if it would fit but if you come up with an idea later I'd much rather you have it.

I would be fine with just a mention in passing or something.

3607862 That's true. Ha, it feels kinda odd to be considered a 'regular' at anything even if I do check these threads a little too much. :pinkiecrazy:

3607840 - not even a musicpone? This needs rectifying! (Although I'm really bad at coming up with OCs too. ^^)

GrassAndClouds2
Group Admin

3607866 : Well, maybe 'spot' is overstating it. I don't think we actually have a hard limit. Rather, I meant to say that even if we did, I don't have an OC, so there's room for more (like yourself).

Fizzy Orange
Group Admin

Sadly mine is already accounted for :p

Don't forget folks, we need some Earth ponies (and some Pegasi too, for Stormy's weather squad!). Hoofington is also a farming town after all.

Emeral Bookwise
Group Admin

Accounted for, but as I've said elsewhere, we can work that into the plot. We can say that he's originally from Hoofington before moving to Ponyville. Even play it up with the others suspecting him of being a spy.

Apologies for the night of a thousand comments but I finally finished the work on my oc here.

Looks kinda small in the preview, that's unfortunate. Anyway, as for a bio:
Name: Stone Spring
Cutie Mark/Meaning: A cracking rock, signifies how she will steadily work at a problem until it is solved
Job: I suppose she could do some work around Hoofington, maybe patching up houses or roads. Also open to her being an architect of some kind but idk if that much detail would even come up.
Personality: She is very calm generally but gets rather intense about her interests, which can put ponies off when they aren't accustomed to it. Her serious nature would put her at odds with this kind of pranking contest but at the same time she would want to be there to make sure nopony was injuring themselves unnecessarily. Almost like Nurse Redheart but with less special talent and more mild concern.

La Vallett1
Group Contributor

Ok, I have now built Codeine using Pony Creator. I hope this is satisfactory.

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

Also nice. I totally picture him setting up a booth at the festival to sell some of his books, and then immediately being swooped upon by Twilight Sparkle.

I'd assume Twilight won't be allowed out to go to the festival. You could consider running it to be a community service I suppose but I'd think she'd be supposed to not take part in many fun things, it doesn't make it much of a punishment otherwise. Although I could see the Mayor pressuring Trixie to let her out.

I also like the joke about him seeming to have never noticed getting married, though I do wonder how ponies that indulge in such opinions explain his daughter; one might think he'd have noticed that if nothing else. :raritywink:

Thanks for helping me categorise these leaf samples I brought back from the forest but I think you should get back to your family now.

Dad! Did you forget who I am again?

Oh sorry dear I just got a little distracted, these really are quite fascinating.

Well Mom told us not to be late, you told her you'd make your tree bark stew

I told who, what now?

Dad!

Just kidding!

Emeral Bookwise
Group Admin

Heheh.... though I can only imagine how awkward such "forgetfulness" might make bedroom talk with the wife.

I'd assume Twilight won't be allowed out to go to the festival.

Much like any of the rest of the M6, we want to be careful about not over using Twilight outside specific roles. This is the external narrative reason why she's under house arrest in the first place. It provided us not only an excuse to relocate her to Ponyville to use in a recurrent supporting role, but also an excuse to make sure her role is otherwise limited only to the stories where she is most relevant.

As with many things, there could plenty of reason why it might make sense for participating in a social event like the RotL to be part of her community service, but that's not what this fic is about. Rather the RotL is being used as a backdrop for a heated rivalry between two towns. Besides, the RotL is technically held outside of Ponyville, and while Twilight is allowed to roam town with official escort, she's still supposed to otherwise to be restricted to the town's borders baring special travel permission which should be reserved for more important stories so as not to trivialize it. As such, I overall think it's best to just let the narrative conceit of being under house arrest keep Twilight out of this story entirely.

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

Heheh.... though I can only imagine how awkward such "forgetfulness" might make bedroom talk with the wife.

Oh Princess! What am I doing here? I'm a married stallion!

You're married?

Yes, I just remembered, oh, I'm a terrible pony!

Sigh, you're married to me you twit

Oh, are you sure?

Yes! Luna! Why are the handsome ones always so dumb?

Emeral Bookwise
Group Admin

Well... I guess he at least he sort of remembered being married, even if not to whom. :facehoof:

Funny as these skits are though, I'm assuming they are meant for comedic exaggeration, since at least your initial profile seemed to suggest the whole thing about, Rosie didn't actually tell him they were getting married and he hasn't actually noticed yet, was supposed to be a, running joke around town.

GrassAndClouds2
Group Admin

3608644 : Twilight is supposed to be using her ability to leave the treehouse (with an escort) to do community service around town; Mayor Mare specifically mentioned Running of the Leaves back in Magic Tutor as one of those things they hope she'll take part in.

I agree she shouldn't really be active in the prank war*, but I think she should be running the race, in order to help show that she's serious about making amends and doing her community service. We could just write one line about her being in the middle of the pack or something.

* That said, while she shouldn't be pranking, I'd have no objection to someone trying to prank her and getting it reflected back on them with a shield spell or something. Twilight shouldn't be proactive about pranking, but someone throwing a bucket of paint on her only for it to bounce off her magically and splash over the thrower is fine by me. :-)

Emeral Bookwise
Group Admin

Maybe... but this story is about the prank war, and so Twilight's lack of participation in that still makes little enough difference as to not warrant much more than mentioning her presence as a brief aside, and I'm not sure that's really worth the trouble. We don't want to ever inadvertently trivialize the circumstances under which Twilight is allowed out of the library, but going into details about the exact restrictions/expectations of her parole would only be a distraction in this particular story, which has so many other characters and ideas to explore and deserve to be the central focus.

Better to maybe just leave it to each individual reader to decide whether she's there or not. Worst case scenario someone can write a webisode if they feel her absence was a problem.

Besides, with Rainbow being ostensibly in command of the Ponyville prankers, Pinkie doing color commentary on the race, and with AJ providing catering for the festivities (not to mention probably participating in the run to boot). I think that's already enough M6 front and center, that it might be best to ignore the rest for this event.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 85