Humanized Ponies! 3,473 members · 5,606 stories
Comments ( 16 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 16
MLai #1 · Apr 14th, 2019 · · 1 ·

If you visit Equestria Daily (or randomly search MLP on Google), you may have seen this.
You know those large detailed figurines of anime girls from Japan, of various age-ratings? EQG is getting the treatment. Depending on the actual physical product, this is probably the only time in my life I'm buying a set of these...

(Goddammit Japan, don't you dare pass over Sunset...)

Saw these a while back, badly want them. A shame I'm way too broke to spend money so frivolously! I'd love a Sunset too, but doubt she's popular enough.

I have my doubts about the humanized Rainbow Dash: the skin tone seems just too much for her, even as a tan though don't think I'm racist, either way; if anything, AJ and Twily should've had was she's having now.

MLai #4 · Apr 15th, 2019 · · 1 ·

Actually, seeing RD in deep tan made me realize it's a no-brainer, and I was surprised I never thought of it before. Because of course she would be very tanned; she's under the sun literally all the time. If you're thinking "Even a deep tan isn't that deep unless you go to a tanning salon", well it's actually an Asian thing.
(1) Asians can achieve that deep a natural tan, though most Asian women actively avoid it.
(2) The sun in a tropical region literally feels like a laser beam, compared to being outside in a temperate zone like N America. I felt physical pain the first time I got off the plane under that sun. So yeah, you TAN.

So according to Japanese mindset, of course AJ is less tan (but still more tanned than anyone other than RD), because she's white (no ethnic ambiguity with AJ), and she lives in a temperate zone (USA). So even if she's outside a lot she'll only get the lame tan white ppl get, LOL.

And Japan doesn't have any Indian immigrants, so nobody would think to make Twilight dark. In fact they take one look at her pony manestyle and they think "traditional Japanese nobility". That Indian fan concept is wholly American in localization.

In all fairness, I never said anything about nationality whatsoever, nor did I imply that Twilight is Indian either...

Whatever floats your boat, but I like discussing interpretations of the EQGs. I'm just commenting about what I've seen as popularized fan interpretations over the years. There was a period when human Twilight was depicted as Indian (as in India), I guess as a way to emphasize her studiousness. It was a pretty good spin... but being familiar with the hime hair style... just like the Japanese, I can also only see her as that. And it fits her elite background as well.

We're talking about these high schoolers, right...? Either way, I was thinking of Twilight as more like a dark skinned Dutchwoman instead.

Huh, I had to look up "Black Dutch" on Wikipedia. Okay, we mentally interpret what we're more familiar with or what strikes our creative fancy. We all know EQG purposefully technicolor'd the characters' skin tones in order to remain ethnically vague, for the viewers to inject their own ideas. For example, Sunset has widely been interpreted as Latina, which I can see as valid because the show obliquely implied it at some points, though I always saw her as a redhead (cuz obvious reason).

Why would Sunset be Latina...?

I guess because she dressed somewhat like one in a couple of scenes, and her "skin tone" suggests a richer complexion.

What was her attire...?

Lots of the more outlandish ones when the girls "pony up" and the one she wore for the Dance Magic video. I guess they look like Mardi Gras?

Like this, right?

Yeah, like that. In the end though, any debate regarding their ethnicities is meaningless. Because they all act "All-American". That is, they don't lapse into other languages, they don't eat any ethnic foods more than anyone else, specific holidays/ religions/ dress/ customs are all non-existent. Sunset is no more Hispanic than she is Spanish than she is Irish, etc. Same goes for the rest.

Complete tangent: I f'ing love the MLP/ EQG songs in Castilian Spanish. I don't even speak Spanish, but somehow my ears can tell the difference and decide on a favored dialect.

OMG!! THESE ARE SO ADORABLE!!!

I’d definitely buy the Rainbow Dash figure when it’s released!

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 16