Victims of Magnum Opus Dissonance 147 members · 195 stories
Comments ( 7 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 7

One of the trends I've seen editing on FIMFiction for years is that the works that people tend to be proudest of are their longest, and often the least interesting or punchy. They get so caught up in over-planning or over-wringing stories that the result is a huge slow-paced mess.

So what if what you thought was your true masterpiece is actually your worst work, because despite having the most lofty aspirations for it, you actually just screwed up your own creative process?

Well, there's just one way to find out! HIRE A SAMURAI
Correction: Get a reviewer.

Someone who can and will praise your work if it's inspired, but will also viciously tear it down if it's bad. I created this thread both for people to discuss this idea, and to potentially meet up with critical reviewers who could help them dispel any myths about their own work, and help them resolve that dissonance.

Unless their supposed masterpiece actually IS a masterpiece. In THAT case, there's just no hope for you.

Well, since no one has been kind enough to respond, I guess I'll at least say something. I don't suffer from this particular problem myself as my writing style is awful a bit more off the cuff. It would probably help anyway as the stream of consciousness crap I put out is riddled with errors butt not for the over thinking of it.

Also, editor groups are around.

The fics I'd consider my best stories mostly have very low view counts, but I am still pretty sure they are genuinely good by the thumbs up/down ratio.

For example — and I'm probably tempting fate here — Fluttershy Takes Manehattan has a 53 upvotes and no downvotes. My most popular story has approximately fifteen times as many viewers, but less good ratings.

5312982 This would be more for reviewers, not editors. Furthermore, it's specifically for authors who fit into the motif of this group; they have a magnum opus that is overlooked, and less impressive works that are over-exposed. If the work in question is really so good, they're going to want a reviewer who will help them try to get it exposed, I suspect.

That having been said, thanks for the reply. It does seem the idea didn't gain any traction here, though I figured people would at least want to discuss the foibles of writing a giant fic that turns out to be a waste.

5313018 Consider your fate thoroughly tempted; I'll read and review that story.

Just because one doesn't plan doesn't mean one's work is lacking, sir. I thought I had a good idea with one story, took time to edit it and to watch for any major mistakes and it barely gets off the ground. I throw together a twisted comedy of errors and it shoots off like a rocket.

5313773 I'm not sure what the first part of your comment is responding to. It wasn't my intent to claim that a good story could not be written spontaneously...

In any event, I am familiar with the whims of popularity on FIMFiction being rather inclined towards 'silly and short'.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 7