Protect Celestia 1,952 members · 1,766 stories
Comments ( 30 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 30

How do you think Celestia became an alicorn?

Faust, aka word of the show's creator, said she was born one I believe.

She was born a unicorn, and then she drank lots and lots of Red Bull.

She could have been born one, or she could've not.

Dunno, yo.

She was born an alicorn

She was born one, but she was not born in Equestria, which is why she said she's never seen one born in Equestria.

Well, somebody built some assets in Flash Animation, moved them around, and fit them together into working vectors. Voila! Celestia the alicorn.

I would say born but who knows what we will get in the next 2 seasons about her past.

Born, definitely. But to throw in my two cents, there's no harm imaging how such a transformation would've taken place. Maybe she made a deal with Discord as a child, maybe the Gods infused her with the power of the sun before she was born and she had to grow into it, or maybe the Cosmic Existence decided she was worthy of her wings.

Would make a pretty interesting AU origin story, if handled properly.

10/10 :rainbowlaugh:

Born one, definitely. First daughter (to survive) of the Red Queen (if you read iisaw' s Luna Cipher)

They also said it was beyond their understanding, which wouldn't be the case is they were born alicorns too.

They literally say the opposite of that in the episode.

Faust also said Celestia and Luna were the only Alicorns in existence. Plus she hasn't been involved with the show since 2012.

I like to think she was an Earth Pony who found ancient Zebra scrolls and studied them to create a new kind of Earth Pony magic that she then used to defeat a great evil.

I'm with 6328947 on this one; how was she a natural-born alicorn? The lines in the season six premier are this:

Celestia: "The birth of an alicorn is something Equestria has never seen."
Luna: "It is beyond even our understanding."

First, fine 6328496 , they may not have been born in Equestria (need citation, please). But Luna's line reveals that the sisters are completely mystified by the mere existence of a natural-born alicorn. If the sisters had been natural-born, then somepony would have told them about their foalhood - whether parents, caretakers, teachers, or just other ponies who were around for the momentous event - and so Flurry's birth should be surprising, sure, but not so much "WTF?!".

If there is a scene in the show that talks about Celestia and Luna's birth, please remind me. I remember it not... :pinkiesad2:

To risk being repetitive, It is entirely possible that the reason they are so mystified at the birth of an alicorn is because, as Celestia says, it's something Equestria has never seen before. Alicorns used to (and still might be) their own tribe that lived outside of Equestria.
Maybe since Cadence is not a natural-born, her birthing a full-fledged alicorn is the reason behind Luna's line about it being "Beyond their understanding". Because as far as they understood, only Fullborn Alicorns could give birth to another Alicorn.

As for confirmation of whether the two were born alicorns or not, I know that there is a confirmed canon piece of literature that tells of them being natural-born alicorns. Journal of the Two Sisters, I believe it's called.

Yeah, the thing about that is Josh Haber is kind of a hack. He didn't bother checking into established canon on the Princesses.

Canon doesn't say anything about their births, so the only established canon is the book, written by the aforementioned Amy Keating Rogers. The book doesn't really explain where they came from, just that they were already alicorns, were fairly old by pony standards, and did not have their cutie marks yet. As for their lack of knowledge on their own kind, they were trained by Starswirl the Bearded from a very young age, which likely meant they were sent from the land of alicorns without much in the way of any formal training of any kind, much less how little Alicorns are made.

There's no need to call Haber a hack.

The Journal also says the Zebralands are on the other side of Everfree, but the official map shows that not to be the case. Also there's this: https://sta.sh/01cah2m2030e

It can be that line is that since Equestria was founded there was not Alicorns . It's possable that remember in the early years of MLP Celestia wasn't even an Alicorn until later years. So it's could be the title of Alicorn wasn't later but Celestia and Luna were considered just special type of unicorn until the title of Alicorn came out.

If your job is story editor, and you fail to check established sources of canon and just make shit up on the fly, you are a bit of a hack. I'll give him credit for making some interesting storyline, but he dropped the ball.

Secondary canon.

Secondary canon written by one of the show's writers. That's word of god on top of being canon. And in the absence of direct contradiction, it's the only real source of canon at all for their births.

A writer no longer involved with the show, who's book has already been contradicted by the show.

Yeah, that's the thing, it isn't. The wording created an uncertainty, but it would still make sense for beings sent from outside Equestria (and this is not unprecedented, we know of the Breezy portal and the EQG portal, and that's just two. The idea of there being a portal from the alicorn world is not even a stretch) to be surprised when a fully fledged alicorn is born in a place where previously there had only been two ascensions.

Princess Celestia: The birth of an Alicorn is something Equestria has never seen!
Princess Luna: It is beyond even our understanding.

Celestia: Never seen one born here!
Luna: I got nothing, this is weird.

I was referring to the book's statement that the Zebralands are on the other side of the Everfree.

Details about the location on a map doesn't invalidate the rest of the information. Otherwise the entirety of mlp canon can be considered noncanon by virtue of the fact Twilight got Meadowbrook's race wrong.

I didn't say it invalidates everything, just that it should be taken with a grain of salt. The point is there's nothing wrong with speculating about Celestia ascending.

I never said there was anything wrong with it. That's what AU is for. You are free to make a world in which any number of minor details are different. You can even ignore large parts of canon by writing before it was introduced.

Canon in MLP is something that is only paid passing attention to. The individual writers will maintain consistency within their episodes, doing callbacks and bringing up dead plotlines, but expecting them to pay attention to canon as a whole is madness(unless you happen to be a story editor, seriously, he did drop the ball by not checking up on that. We have one book on alicorns, he should have read it), as only we really care about that. There is, as best I can figure, no continuity editor in the show at all. That's why we get wildly different characterizations and new maps out of nowhere. And that's not even getting into the issues of time in MLP.

So, yeah, speculate away, I'm just saying we do have some answers, and they are the best ones we are likely to get. You don't need to pay attention to those answers, however. Not when the show's writers don't.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 30