Friendship is Magic: the Gathering 250 members · 46 stories
Comments ( 5 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 5

Does anyone here have Magic Workstation?

Because I am looking for someone to play against to try out the new versions of my decks.

For all, who do not know Magic Workstation, it is a free deck builder with a free online 1on1 play function.
It also has every cards till Gatecrash, though the Gatecrash cards without pictures.

I hope, someone has it, 'cause I would really like to test the decks against a good deck, before getting to cards.

It certainly looks interesting. Do you know if it comes with all the MTG cards? It said it only had some sample cards in the description.

Otherwise, I think I might give it a go.

897947 you have to download the library with all cards separately, but it is the first link of the extra stuff in the download page

Im thinking about it want to try my paradox hydra deck against someone

The download for MWS doesn't include the card database; IIRC it's for legal reasons. However, you can download the master database separately (as well as the images).

MWS is, in theory, Shareware. However, the actual development on the program has pretty much ceased, so it's more like Abandonware; even if you want do pay to get rid of the banner ads, you can't really. That said, there's a large enough community surrounding it that you can still find people to play, and the master database still gets updated.

Pictures for cards are just appropriately-named JPG files in a folder for the set. You can use the cropped image (and MWS will show the picture and draw the border and text itself), or a full image of the card (MWS will only show the picture). Cropped images only really works properly for regular cards; if there's any changes to the border (split cards, DFCs, miracle, etc.) or if the card art breaks out of the frame (planeswalkers), it'll look better if you use a full scan. (Actually, I forget now but I think the program may have support for cropped images on split cards.)

MtgBr.com has a download link for MWS itself, the latest masterBase (up to GTC), and both full art and cropped pictures for nearly every set (including Gatecrash).

MWS doesn't handle DFCs, Kamigawa flip cards, or the Commander format very well, and any card with more than two types of counter on it (in addition to +1 or -1) will be difficult to keep track of (there are a handful of other cards that are difficult to manage, such as Scroll Rack); the program supports simply adding a "counter" to a permanent, plus "notes" (which won't show more than a word or so on the card itself due to space constraints), plus you can modify a creature's P/T. Just like in paper Magic, everything in MWS is completely up to the players to manage; there isn't even a separate area for the Stack.

I haven't used MWS in months, but I know there are a lot of people online who prefer Cockatrice to it (I can't speak to it personally, having never used Cockatrice). I do know that the guy who made Cockatrice and hosted the primary matchmaking server received a C&D letter from Hasbro back in February, and fully and finally closed down his operations a week ago. That said, there are alternative matchmaking servers for the program, and there are download mirrors as well.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 5