Friendship is Magic: the Gathering 250 members · 46 stories
Comments ( 10 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 10

Well, it was a close race, but enchantments carried the day and eked out a narrow victory. This was due, in part, to folks like Inkwell Looter, who made arguments to help drum up support for their cause.

The next question before us is, what color should the enchantment be?

The voting won't begin until April. In the meantime, WotC wants us to discuss amongst ourselves what color we want to see.

I mainly play Commander, so I'm trying to decide between white or red. (Since those two colors need more support; especially in the card drawing department.)
It would be nice to get a color-shifted version of Enchantress's Presence in white.

That would fit nicely into my Zur the Enchanter, Uril the Miststalker and Bruna, Light of Alabaster decks.

I will admit that does seem like a waste. We should use this space to design something totally new. Maybe something similar to Kavu Lair in White.

My recommended change for the white version of this card would be where it triggers on creatures with power two or less.

As for red, it desperately needs card drawing. Mono red decks would greatly benefit from a red version of Overwhelming Instinct.

Attacking with a suicidal swarm of goblins would never feel more rewarding.

These are just my initial impressions. We still have weeks to decide what the card does. I'm just saying we should vote for either white or red, since those two colors seem underdeveloped when compared to the rest of the color pie.

I'm going to argue for red for two reasons:

1. You Make The Card has yet to make a red card.
2. Red gets hilariously ridiculous enchantments. Just imagine what sort of madness we could come up with! :pinkiehappy:

YMTC4: Color is up

I'm being selfish and voting red. My Thraximundar EDH deck needs more cool red stuff. I mean, of my important enchantments, only 2 of them are red, while I've got a bunch of blue and black ones. And I've only really got one important non-enchantment red card, and that's Squee. (Well, okay, I've got Volcanic Fallout, too... and I spend red mana on Kher Keep... and then there's Thraximundar himself...)

I don't really want red card draw at the moment (though I know it would be good for EDH); my Thrax deck already has problems decking itself just between the blue/black/artifact draw sources I've got. I've used Compulsion to go through my entire deck in a single game... thrice.

One of the things people are talking about in the EDH forums of MTG Salvation is getting an enchantment that replicates the effect of Torpor Orb and/or Linvala. That would probably need to be a white card, though, with Linvala, Humility, Humble, and Soul Sculptor as precedent. (OTOH, Sudden Spoiling is black, Snakeform is blue/green, and Turn to Frog and Ovinize are both blue. Unglued also has Fowl Play in blue.)

That would fit nicely into my Zur the Enchanter, Uril the Miststalker and Bruna, Light of Alabaster decks.

:flutterrage::twilightangry2:
All of my hate, Bronystories. All of my hate.

(Then again, I was just talking about my Thrax deck, which is a stax build... Maybe I shouldn't be talking.)

Well, it's going to be black. Darn. I'd voted for red.

Still, next step: Aura or non-Aura?

I voted non-Aura, since global enchantments can allow for all sorts of Johnny-tastic shenanigans. Still, if ever there was a color that could work Spellweaver Volute-style weird Auras, it'd be black...
Well, black and blue, obviously. And maybe red...

Oh, you get the idea.

I can swing with black. My Thrax deck is still black, even if I'd like to have a larger red presence. :twilightblush:

I'd also like to see non-Aura, and I suspect most people will as well. Unless the aura has a recursion ability like Rancor, or an ability protecting the enchanted permanent like Totem Armor, Auras are just asking to be 2-for-1'd.

Ethan writes about the fact that "global enchantment" isn't actually a thing, and all I could think of was "... aww, we can't vote for World Enchantment? I wanna kill off people's Nether Voids and Concordant Crossroads! :fluttercry:"

My Thrax deck is still black, even if I'd like to have a larger red presence.

So I'm assuming the two enchantments in your StaxThrax build are manabarbs (boo, lol) and stranglehold?
Chaos Warp probably feels bad that it didn't get mentioned over volcanic fallout (though not everyone enjoys random effects, but hey: it's EDH). I know that feels over red. My Starke of Rath EDH deck would have really like some good enchantments to go with all the artifacts he's running.

Anyways on the topic of the Black enchantment, I'm pretty sure black won just so that it would be open to almost any design space. In the back of my mind though I feel that people just want to design Necropotence variant 20a-1 or the like. Hey, that's cool, as long as the card is better than phyrexian etchings (which is still at least ok in EDH) it'll be welcome.
Therefore I'm pretty sure that global enchantment has this one in the bag. Even though personally I'd go for an enchant player, to design something that WOTC would never design themselves.

No Manabarbs; that's more for punisher decks, not stax. I mean, if my deck is playing according to plan, I'll have a bunch of lands while my opponents won't have much of anything, and Manabarbs doesn't help in that situation.

The red cards in my Thrax list at the moment are:
Aether Flash
Shattering Pulse
Volcanic Fallout
Into the Core
Squee, Goblin Nabob
Honden of Infinite Rage
Vandalblast

(And of course, He Who Paints the Earth Red, but that's a given)

I don't really have room for Stranglehold, tbh, and I don't need Chaos Warp (Capsize/Cyclonic Rift fill that role just fine, as well as Pithing Needle in some cases, making my opponents sacrifice everything, and counterspells like Forbid -- this is a deck where I've legitimately hit Liliana of the Veil's ultimate).

My black enchantments are:
Tainted Aether
Lethal Vapors
Phyrexian Arena
Night of Souls' Betrayal
Honden of Night's Reach
Bitterblossom

The deck has a lot of creature hate. Besides Thraximundar, there are only 4 cards that are actually creatures, and one of those is Phyrexian Metamorph, which more often than not clones a noncreature artifact.

Now, next week is submissions for rules text. There's a decent chance that they're planning on putting this card into a core set, so it can't be too complicated. Hmm...
~~~~
Super Awesome Anti-Shroud
Enchantment
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player chooses a creature he or she controls. Destroy that creature. If a creature is destroyed this way, that creature's controller loses 1 life.
~~~~

No, I'm not trying to make an answer for Sigarda at all! :ajsmug:

Yeah sounds good. I mean there is lots of room for tweaking EDH decks. I just assumed manabarbs as Stax decks are prone to be mana rock heavy and therefore less reliant on their lands like most decks. (Here's looking at you, AZUZA :twilightangry2:)

But anyways, back to the topic at had, how likely does a necropotence variant seem with all the Grislebrand hate showing up lately? Do you think WOTC will come out with another: "we apologize for that, sorry bros" bit because of all the enabling he's doing in Legacy? If he got more popular in standard would it be a concern for limits on design? Thoughts?

I hope we don't get a necropotence variant, TBH. It would probably end up either worse than Phyrexian Etchings or better than GriselBANNED, and I really don't want to waste a YMTC on something like that.

Ideally, YMTC will result in something unique, like Crucible of Worlds did. Now that was a good YMTC, and an effect you really can't get anywhere else.

Vanish Into Memory and Forgotten Ancient aren't quite as unique as Crucible, but they can't exactly be replaced by anything, either. Sure, there are other cards that blink, draw cards, or play with +1 counters, but not quite in the same way as the other two.

Rules Text Submissions are up until 0000 (Eastern) on Thursday!

One submission per person, US/CA only. If you use any keywords, you're limited to evergreen keywords.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 10