Friendship is Magic: the Gathering 250 members · 46 stories
Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4

In honor of Magic's 20th anniversary this year, Wizards of the Coast just announced "You Make the Card 4."

Click this link to vote for the card you want to create.

The first vote will decide what type of card will be made. The options are as follows:

Artifact: These colorless permanents represent powerful magic items.
Creature: These spells summon magical monsters or people who battle on your behalf.
Enchantment: These spells remain on the battlefield, warping the nature of the conflict.
Instant/Sorcery: These are spells that have single effects and then go to the graveyard. We've collapsed these two options together for now. If these types win, we can decide whether the card is an instant or a sorcery later in the design process.
Land: These cards lay the foundation of a deck's mana base. Lands can have special abilities that are deceptively powerful because they don't take up a "spell slot" in a deck.

I personally voted for an Enchantment, as we haven't made one of those as a community yet. Enchantments are harder to destroy than artifacts or creatures. Enchantments often have powerful effects which can't be easily replicated by instants, sorceries or lands.

Creating a new Land card would be my second choice. Lands are often just as difficult to destroy as enchantments. The main problem that I have with Lands is the challenge that comes with balancing the card. Wizards needs to be especially cautious with the lands they create, since they can be put in any deck and don't require a mana cost.

I could see a Land card getting the nomination, as it would allow them to make a card which everyone could include in their deck, regardless of their deck's colors.

Be sure to let everyone know which option you voted for, and why.

I voted for Artifact, because I'm a sucker for Artifacts. However, I can see any of the options being good.

I voted land. But I'm up for designing anything.

I also voted for enchantment, simply for the sake of completionism.

Fun fact: Until its actual name was determined, Forgotten Ancient was codenamed "Mr. Babycakes." I make a point of calling it that even now.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 4