Rainbow Dash 4,158 members · 7,326 stories
Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6

So, in 2, 4, 6, Greaaat a lot of people were more inclined to call Twilight out for making Rainbow Dash teach cheerleading, as it was something she wouldn't normally do.

But are we forgetting what started the whole Fluttershy "yay" thing? What Rainbow Dash was doing (or trying to do) the first four times Fluttershy said it?

To make Fluttershy scream her lungs out

I do remember, which is part of what makes that episode so bad. We know Rainbow Dash knows the value of cheering. We know she's coached Fluttershy to do it. She came off as horrifically out of character in that episode, in my opinion.

Twilight's manipulations were something I barely noticed since I was so appalled by Rainbow Dash's characterization from start to almost-finish. I think people are right to call Twilight (or the characterization of her doing it) out though. It wasn't a lesson Rainbow Dash needed to learn since we know what an energetic personality she is. She carried the flag for Cloudsdale to the Equestria Games. She knows the value of "cheering" and in coaching others to do it ("Flight to the Finish").

And frankly, since the episode took the time to show us the friendship school's buckball team lost...Rainbow Dash may have actually been better suited to coach the team after all, or even coach Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie on how to coach, given her known level of experience.

But then again... Rainbow Dash wasn't very successful in getting Fluttershy to cheer as loud as she wanted. Except... Fluttershy did cheer like that when Rainbow did the Sonic Rainboom.

Jondor
Group Admin

All of this.

The writer of this episode was probably handed an early crib sheet for Rainbow's personality and wrote the plot without any consideration for previous episodes. A lot of the S8 and S9 filler episodes suffered from this problem where they either felt like they should have happened several seasons earlier or take place in an alternate timeline where certain episodes never happened.

Certainly Rainbow would be a bit upset over not fulfilling the role she wanted, but if she were characterized properly, she could have put her talents and expertise to great use instead of moping the whole time. Which probably would have made for a better lesson overall as well. Instead we get a cheap Flanderization and a budget moral. BUY OUR TOYS!

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6