Rainbow Dash 4,158 members · 7,326 stories
Comments ( 16 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 16

How do you think Rainbow Dash would feel about a nihilist or nihilism in general?

Confused then angry then tough love.

Jondor
Group Admin

She would eat ALL the Arby's.

HapHazred
Group Contributor

7505426 About a nihilist? Kinda depends on the nihilist in question. There are a lot of different ways people apply nihilistic philosophies into their lives, often without really consciously thinking of it being nihilism, not to mention nuances to the philosophy itself. She probably wouldn't have time for a gloomy 'nothing matters so I'm going to stay indoors' teen, but unless they actually began talking about philosophy, she might get on fairly well with a nihilist who sees the lack of any kind of inherent meaning as empowering or liberating (for example; there are other ways to interpret nihilism). Certainly Dash doesn't need people to have super altruistic philosophies to get along with them; she got on pretty well with the likes of Gilda and Lightning Dust, even if they did fall out at times (or permanently...). Not much reason why a nihilist with the right kind of attitude wouldn't also fit that bill. She wouldn't have much time for anyone trying to convert her to any kind of philosophy, though, and a guy walking up to her and telling her his thoughts on nihilistic philosophies would probably be a very poor introduction to the topic for her.

Nihilism, the philosophy? I'm not sure she'd really care that much. If she got the same kind of broad, hand-wavey introduction most people get to it initially (that nothing matters) she'd probably think it kinda sucked, and I somehow doubt she'd put much effort to look into it past that point. I don't think talking philosophy is really her thing.

I should note that this is a very, very handwavey and gross approach to nihilism, but look, all philosophies are really complicated when you start getting into them and nobody here has time for an essay. If I dumb it down, my apologies.

No, no way, absolutely not, nope on a rope.

I find it interesting that Starlight Nova is starting these threads in multiple groups, then not commenting on the threads to continue the conversation.

HapHazred
Group Contributor

Philosophies that aren't nihilism: 'We are more moral and ethical! We believe in right and wrong having meaning!'

Also Philosophies that aren't nihilism: 'Kill it.'

M'kay fam.

To be fair, "kill the person arguing with you" is a pretty surefire way to end any argument you find yourself in, whether the other person is a nihilist or not.

HapHazred
Group Contributor

7506764 Ends the argument in about the same way as flipping the table ends the chess game, sure. : )

Of course to the nihilist the chess game didn't matter, but I'm not sure it really makes the guy flipping the table a better player, y'know?

Cryosite
Group Admin

It's been this way for awhile. And they're always such shallow, low-quality posts too. It's like Starlight Nova is just a very bored person and is trying to attract similarly bored people into wasting time with low-effort forum activity instead of finding something actually entertaining to do.

Interesting. I was just thinking, apropos of nothing, that combine the stereotype and the reality and you get ... Cupcakes! :pinkiesmile:

Comment posted by Twilight sparkle565 deleted May 7th, 2022
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 16