Halo and Ponies 947 members · 193 stories
Comments ( 7 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 7

BattleTech & Halo two different franchises that are vastly different from one another with both being popular in their own ways. I always loved the idea that these two franchises should somehow meet one another with few ideas of my own how thing should happen. I wont go into heavy detail but it would involve the star league in exile somehow ending up in halo universe due to a cosmic string/fragment that would interfere with the Kf-drive and send them plunging into haloverse.

But I like to hear what you think about halo and BattleTech crossing over with one another and how you would do such a thing. I am a big fan of both genres and love to see these two genres coming together somehow. How would you get the two universes crossing over one another? Would it be something in halo end up BattleTech or would it be the other way around with something from BattleTech in halo? Is interested to see how some of you might crossover the two universes

(if this is the wrong thing to post in forum please let me know. I just enjoying hearing peoples ideas about crossovers)

Okay thought wouldn't hurt to ask. I delete this later on today

I can see BT ending up in Halo, as the KF-Drive of BT literally folds space-time and hops dimensions. It's possible a catastrophic misjump could displace a jumpship/ warship in a completely different dimension.

That being said, it's possible for the reverse as well and pretty much everyone would scramble to acquire even a UNSC frigate, much less a ship like a covenant carrier. Though I feel that, despite fractious and feudal nature of BT, they would stand a good chance of winning against the Covenant.

I have toyed with the idea of a BT-Halo-MLP crossover at one time, but just haven't had the time to go beyond a concept

I always had idea Star League stranded in haloverwe 200-300 years before events of human-covenant war and remade the star league

It's an interesting, but very complicated crossover, because in many ways they are polar opposites in what they are good at.

Battletech/Mechwarrior is insanely powerful in land combat, but almost laughably retarded in terms of space combat.
Halo is the opposite, its ground combat is mostly conventional with a few exceptions, while its space combat and warfare is insanely powerful and capable.

This stems from a gameplay decision on the part of BT very early on, to minimize space warfare capability so that they Battlemechs could be the stars of the show. Thus even at the height of the Star League, BT space power and capabilities are numerically small by ridiculous limitations placed on the universe and a complete misunderstanding of manufacturing capability.

Halo on the other hand, its space manufacturing capability and potential is quite developed and space industry is extremely able and flourishing.

For BT space power is centered truly in its WarShips, but these are few and far between and apparently its impossible to build new ones, reverse engineer existing examples or even come up with new ideas. Isolated cases do exist, but they are few and far between and by the current timeline of BT, the number of Warships somehow barely reaches 100 and 50 of these ships are held by the Clans and most of these are remainders of the StarLeague Era. You get to see a really ridiculous picture here.

Also its the method of space travel. The Kearny-Fuchida space engine is insanely power hungry and Fusion power generation in the BT universe has not really advanced since the fall of the Star League. Furthermore the KF drive is only really usable in the nadir and zenith of a solar system, a point several AU from the "top" and "bottom" of a star system in which gravitational forces allow for relatively stable translation. Also most WarShips can only do 2-3 jumps in quick succession each of no more than 30LY, at which point they must spend up to weeks if not months recharging their KF drives using a combination of the Fusion Reactors on board and the huge solar sails that take hours to deploy and bring back in.

It's possible to use KF drives outside of these points in several places other than the Nadir and Zenith points, but doing so is extremely dangerous and primarily used by pirates, hence the name "Pirate Points".

Compared to Halo, which is much simpler and far more effective Slipstream drive. Pre-War and for a large part of the War, KF drives are technically faster than Human Slipspace, being able to cover up to 90ly in 2 jumps, and Human Slipspace only being able to do 1.8ly/day on average. But post-War and with some Covenant and Forerunner tech equipped, Slispace leaves KF drives in the dust.

One area of interest however is weapons. UNSC uses only Missiles and Coilguns, which in BT terms means Naval Missiles and Naval Coil Light and XXL for some of the MAC Cannons. But BT has many other options, Naval Cannons (which are plasma ignited), Naval Lasers and Naval PPC's.

Its unclear how these would translate into Halo terms, but they would offer the UNSC certain interesting option in space combat. However BT being such a "Hard" Sci-Fi it has to my knowledge only one device that could be classified as a shield. A Particle Dampener, which is somewhat effective against PPC's, but useless against anything else.

It's an interesting cross-over potential and there are many areas in which BT is superior to Halo, but it must be considered alongside the areas where they are insanely inferior to Halo.

There those are my more than 2 cents.

Appreciate it, the only way I see the btech universe able to stand a chance in space if they manage to reverse engineer the unsc tech or come across cache of forerunner technology. Innersphere was able to create technology in less than five years to able to combat the clans, I like think they able to adapt pretty well. Anyways I appreciate your two cents.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 7