The Writers' Group 9,298 members · 56,449 stories
Comments ( 89 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 89

Let's face it. With growing fandoms like us, there's always going to be crossover fanfics because either people have multiple interests and are curious about what would be the result if their interests combined with their other interests, or are just simply curious themselves. There have been plenty of excellent crossover fanfics, such as Halo: On The Wings of Angels, and some of them seem to really fit together quite nicely. However, there are always going to be some that either loosely fit or just don't fit at all, such as PewDiePie vs Toby In Equestria.

So, for people who are just starting out on a crossover fanfic or are just starting out in general, you should really be careful about your ideas. Ask yourself "Can it be possible?".

I'm not asking for crossover tips. What I'm telling you to do is give me some crossover ideas that will definitely not work. So, got any?:duck:

Distrance
Group Contributor

Charles Manson in Equestria

Twilight Saga Crossover

Bobobobobo bobo. Oh wait...

Since I just saw it on the front page.

Top Gear US.

Top Gear UK would be passable. But the US version, the one so reviled as it's without vigor or entertainment? Go die in a pit of snakes.

Ghandi in Equestria.

It's a touching story. Once upon a time, a pacifist entered the land of ponies. Through non-violence and mellow conversation, they quickly learned to love and tolerate him without any form of personal conflict whatsoever.

The end.

Thomas Covenant in Equestria. Getting him to Equestria would be no problem. Having him in Equestria would be rather more of an issue...

Gandhi might actually object to the way Equestria functions, especially with regard to the way Equestrians completely control their natural environment. He wasn't some emotionless buddha either, he had a pretty powerful temper at times. A realistic Gandhi-in-Equestria might have him attempting to overthrow the government through a campaign of civil disobedience and the creation of parallel institutions, in order to replace it with something more "naturally harmonious".

499259 :rainbowlaugh: Wait a second...now I'm getting inspired. He could face off against Lord Fowl (Gilda) and Fluttershy could be a Forestal...

Yeah, that's the trouble with this thread. I personally expect it'll serve more as inspiration then anything else. :twilightsmile:

Sad thing is that that isn't a crossover idea I invented for this thread. I jot down every weird plot idea that occurs to me in a document if I remember, even if I don't think I'll use it, and that was in there. (Though in no greater detail then I gave.)

There were other crossover ideas in there, but I don't think, for example, that a Mary Poppins crossover counts as a bad crossover idea. (She'd be a great foalsitter for the CMC. And "Cutie Mark Crusader Chimney Sweeps! Yay!")

I'm of the opinion that EVERY crossover idea is bad, unless you can prove to me that you're fully aware of WHY every crossover idea is bad. People as talented as Paleo Prints know why things are bad, so they're capable of writing a good Dr. Who crossover, for instance.

On the whole, though, like guns, explosives, and rather pointy sticks, crossover story ideas should be kept far away from the masses for the safety of others.

That's exactly what I'm trying to do, inspire new writers with this thread by giving some advice on choosing a subject to do a crossover with!:twilightsmile:

Well, I may as well go over a few other crossover ideas, good and bad, then.

Dragonriders of Pern. I have no idea how that would work. Ponies riding dragons would be very strange, especially with Spike in the mix. And humans riding intelligent ponies would take things in more of a Heralds of Valdemar direction. Which is another series that'd be difficult to cross over. (And now I'm picturing Rarity trying to redesign the Heralds outfits. :raritystarry: )

Chronicles of Amber. Fitting the series into the universe is easy, because the royal family of Amber can walk to anywhere they can imagine, which includes Equestria. The trouble is that to do things right, you'd practically want the mane 6 to be of the royal family of Amber.

And if they were, well, almost everyone in the royal family of Amber is Machiavellian, scheming, and practically untrustworthy by definition. The rule there is that you are safer trusting a total stranger then a family member. Which is totally antithetical to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

Ones that are more likely to work:

Harry Potter. It's been done, but there are still good ideas left. Having Hermione miscast a spell and end up in Equestria has plenty of room for amusement as her and Twilight talk shop.

Or, one of my absolutely cracked fanfic ideas: Dobby in Equestria. There'd be plenty of entertainment just watching him talk with Fluttershy, not to mention if he met up with Trixie. Just imagining the way that conversation would go is highly amusing. And he'd obviously get to Equestria the same way most HiE fics start..

Doctor Who crossovers have been done many times, but I haven't seen Scootaloo as his companion yet. :scootangel:

Anyways, anyone who gets inspired by these odd ideas, feel free. I left out any ideas I'm actually working on. And most of these are bad ideas, anyways. :twilightsmile:

Doctor Who crossovers have been done many times, but I haven't seen Scootaloo as his companion yet.

[beat]

THAT'S FUCKING BRILLIANT.
I mean, it's sorta off by the show's canon, unless Scoots is older than 11 by the time of the story, but man, that would be pretty nuts.

Thanks!

And, yeah. the age would be off, but that could be worked around. I still remember the vague idea I had on how it would start.

I was figuring it'd be a good opportunity to use the old orphan!Scootaloo trope. There's a big storm, and while she's looking for shelter, she finds a blue box sitting there. She slips inside, starts exploring when she realizes it's bigger outside then inside, and the Doctor takes off before he realizes she had wandered in.

From there, the Tardis has it's usual navigational difficulties, and it could go anywhere. Of course, it'd be even more amusing if Scootaloo found a stash or two of Nitro-9 in the Tardis, hidden away back when Ace was his companion. (If you aren't familiar with the Sylvester McCoy era Dr. Who, Scootaloo + high explosives is really all you need to know. :scootangel:)

Ooh! Ooh! Here's a bad idea! :pinkiecrazy:

Lord of the Flies crossover: All the foals in Cheerilee's classroom got stranded on an island with no adult supervision... :applecry: :twistnerd:

A Clockwork Equestria.

Atlas Shrugged would be both magnificent and awful choice for a crossover.

I've tried to do a crossover with Something Wicked This Way Comes. It wasn't well received for some reason.

"Manos": The Hands of Fate. With Luna playing Torgo, the mane six in place of the misguided family, and The Master is implied to be Celestia.

...wait, I put too much thought into this for a bad crossover idea.

-Tricondon

Dalek x Fluttershy shipping? Is it even possible that this will work? (non-clop of course)
kinda already started it but...just want to see what people thought of it.

498629 Got another one, One Flew Over the Griffon's Nest.

503524 Celestia Shrugged?

I've been working on one, but am having trouble with it...

Celestia dines with Captain Jas. Hook. Not the title, but the story...

...Crossover with Peter and Wendy...

Yep...

MLP and Warhammer 40k I would think. Cause W40k is just... so OP, I don't see how anything in MLP could possibly... you know what I mean. *shrug* :ajbemused:

Showmare Trixie
Group Admin

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem.

.....Actually that could probably work really well.
Just make Twilight the lead character.

The Foundation series. Twilight Sparkle predicts the fall of Equestria through psychohistory. Celestia, naturally, banishes her to the moon, where Twilight starts a colony to write an encyclopedia.

Um, yes, definitely a bad idea...

Sten from Dragon Age Origins in Equestria. He's a stubborn ass who hates magic. He'd last twenty seconds before he realized Princess Celestia was technically a mage, tries to kill her, and get's launched into the sun.

Ponies of Gor

Equestrian Gladiators.

Pet Sematary. Featuring Sweetie Belle and Opalescence.

Alien vs Predator vs Care bears.

This would make Momma Fluttershy look like a kid's bettime story.

Darkwing Duck.

Luna gets to play Darkwing Duck, as "the terror that flaps in the night". Gosalyn, the little orphan girl with spirit Darkwing adopts, is clearly Scootaloo, and as a pilot, Launchpad's position could probably be filled by Rainbow Dash.

Worst crossover idea ever?

~I am Better than Your Foals~

A Maddox in Equestria Story

Spike the Dragon's Home Run Derby

Command & Conquer: Crystal Empire

Trying to do a crossover with Monty Python or that anime "The daily Lives of High School boys". I have a real hard time imagining Ouran High School Host Club working either.

I've seen a Command and Conquer crossover. It wasn't good.

Ralph Nader and the Power Rangers join forces to defeat the Changelings and their Native American allies!

... actually, if you replace Changelings with Hester Prynne from the Scarlet Letter, you've got the rough outline of one of my high school English papers. Oddly, I didn't get an A.

Cabot?

[youtube=Gp1RTGZxBTw]

Write a crossover with Diablo. Make it epic and awesome. Then have the mane six just nuke the Lord of Terror with the Elements and go home. The end.

http://kaction.com/badfanfiction/

heres an awesome little site that generates such crossover ideas.
just take its suggestion and apply it to pony

My Little Pony: The Masquerade is Magic

Twilight = Tremere
Rarity = Toreador
Applejack = Venture
Rainbow Dash = Brujah
Fluttershy = Gangral
Pinkie Pie = Malkavian

Princess Celestia = Antediluvian (or equivalent)

Adolph Hitler in Equestria.

Short story: ALL PONIES GET COOKED.

Nice.....

There are no bad crossover ideas, only hilarious crossover ideas written badly.

To tell you the truth, I've never read a crossover in my life. :twilightblush: But now that I think about it, I don't think there's any crossover that can't be done well. It just depends on who writes it and if they know what they're doing, I guess (In other words, anyone but me). :twilightsmile:

Pony Sematary.
Oh yeah I went there:pinkiecrazy:....and if when I write it it will be my GREATEST...FAILURE IDEA EVER

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 89