The Writers' Group 9,298 members · 56,449 stories
Comments ( 20 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 20

So you've finally finished your pony masterpiece. It's done. After all the brainstorming, procrastinating, and tear-shedding you've persevered through, it all went down to a groundbreaking conclusion. However, you may feel as if it needs something at the end to help emphasize its conclusion. A song perhaps; one that fits the fic's overall theme and tone perfectly like it's the final piece of the puzzle and you're feeling accomplished in the end. Not only are you emphasizing the story's end, you're also giving the readers that movie-feeling, as if they saw this fic at a movie theatre and at the end, when they're presenting the music, everyone's appauding in satisfaction like it was all worth it.

What do you ponies think?:duck: Is adding credits music to fics an excellent idea that should be shown in fics everywhere; or is it a downright horrible idea that should be killed with fire?

I think it's a solid idea, as music is used constantly as a medium for messages that simply can't be conveyed through words. It invokes numerous emotions that a writer wouldn't be able to draw out on their own.

If the writing is done in tune with the song, it serves as a double whammy for a romance, or a heroic pick-me-up for a war story. Music helps writing a lot, so long as it's used right.

Credits music is certainly something to chase.

It's a very, very good idea in my humble opinion, because not only does it add a nice memorable tune to the end of your fic, but it also expresses your, the writer's, perspective and emotion of their fics ending. It's a nice way of communicating a message and emotion to your readers as your tale comes to a close. You can change it's entire meaning if you choose the right music, or you can make your readers think about it for that little bit longer.
It gives your closing that little bit of oomph that you simply wont get if your fic simply fades off into silence.

Well, that's what I think...

Distrance
Group Contributor

I experimented with that once. Not necessarily as credits but in the beginning to listen to as you read. Now, in hindsight, I could of picked a better song, but I didn't really see anyone have a problem with it. It isn't something you HAVE to listen to while you read. Rather, it gives you the option to completely engross yourself in a fan-fiction according to what the author intended the feel of the fiction to be.

497784>>497794>>497796

Amazing feedback you guys! I can see it now, at the end of a romance fic, the author's going to put Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up" song at the end. And then here come the downvotes 'cause they just got RickRolled at the end of an amazing romance fic.:rainbowlaugh:

That'd butcher the mood faster than Cheerilee killing Belle.

497779 I'm experimenting with putting music throughout my fiction with my story Daring Do at Forty Fathoms Deep. It's been received very well, and it plays to my writing style as I often write a scene (or read one) with a particular set of music playing. It does give it a movie feel and with my fic, it's been well received, by those who read it.

497779 I think it has it's uses in some fics. Just make sure you don't go overboard though.

497779 I would love to place some good music in my main series when it's finished, but I have no idea how to do that. I want to use my own, not someone else's.

I like my credits music, especially if it emphasizes the point of the ending.

Been doing that with every multichapter fic since day one! It not only gives the readers something to leave off on, but makes you feel like you've done something spectacular. It makes you feel like you did a movie and makes you think back on your experience with fondess.

Well, you can try.

So... We need to unlearn everything we have learned. And do. Because there is no try. Yoda says so. I believe the green puppet! :pinkiecrazy:

More seriously...

For myself, yes. Nightwish: Last Ride of the Day
[youtube=IYCjArvHr_I]

For my readers: Go find your own appropriate ending credits music. What I like isn't going to be what you like. Probably. Also, after you've read the last, tear jerking moments of a story1, the last thing you probably want is Nightwish waiting for you.

1. Not actually written yet.

3370911 I place my links to Youtube music as a first comment for every chapter. I have over 30 of them on one of my chapters.

As for my original music, I plan to take my guitar in my hands and make a Youtube video. I imagine it will be the most embarrassing thing in my life. :fluttershbad:

I think your idea is a great one! As others have said, adding some credits music to the story can certainly give it an added impact as far as the emotional themes go. I can't tell you the number of times when I've read an amazing story and heard certain themes playing in the background (at least in my own head). :raritywink::pinkiehappy::yay:

497796 571452
I totally agree! I have background music primarily from the two original sources of my crossover fic, MLP:FiM and Bio-booster Armor Guyver, scattered throughout my story to highlight character or plot moments. I even use one opening theme and one ending theme from both, again to highlight the crossover nature of the fic. It's part of my own, similar creative process of matching music to scenes since I tend to imagine things cinematically before written word. Readers don't have to listen to it if they find it distracting (one of the common complaints leveled at integrating music into fics, in addition to inappropriate choices), but since I can't picture the scenes without it I'd feel remiss if I didn't add it in (particularly because Fimfiction, unlike Fanfiction.com, gives us the ability to do so). :twilightsmile::derpytongue2::rainbowlaugh:

497779 I listen to music when I read fics lol

I think I listen to the wrong music though...

Just realized this thread is literally over a year old lel

Sometimes, all it takes is a great end credit song to elevate your movie fic.

I actually used them to set the tone for an experimental fic and actually got a number of reviews thanking me for tuning people into great songs, which wasn't really the point, but oh well.

To me, it would be a great idea and a punctuation to the end of your movie fic.

3371206 can i get bonus achievement points for reviving this ancient thread?

3372324 I'm a drummer, so making music is not the best idea for me.

3373092 You should be given the title Thread Ressurector :3

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 20