The Writers' Group 9,298 members · 56,447 stories
Comments ( 14 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 14

I have been writing for about a month or two, but the one thing that always bothered me was when you want to say, 'Everypony" "Nopony" etc. So that brings me here, which does everyone here think the spelling should be? Should it be typed as "Everypony" or "Every pony"? Is it a matter of preference? I've seen both in stories, but what would be more commonly used? This has just really been messing with me for a while, and I want it to stop! :unsuresweetie:

I think most prefer everypony, just because it's closer to 'everybody'. The fact is that is 'every pony' has the same direct meaning as 'everypony', which isn't so much the case with 'everybody' and 'every body'.

Everypony and nopony. They're replacing the words everybody and nobody, which are single words.

900833 I go with everypony, as it is intended as a direct replacement of "everybody" or "everyone". Same with somepony etc.

"Everyone" (Everypony) may be replaced with, "Everybody" and "Every one" may be replaced with "Each person". There's some examples here.

Hope this helps!

Regards
Ferlathin

Ps. Grammar. <3

Welp, everyone answered that, so...

900833 everypony seems to be the convention.

What an ironic title.

There's a difference between 'everypony' and 'every pony'.

The first refers to a number of ponies in a group collectively.
"Everypony ate the cake and got sick." This would mean all ponies in the group ate the cake, and all got sick. You don't have to ask if pony A or pony B ate the cake and got sick; everyone did.

The second refers to a number of ponies in a group as individuals.
"Every pony who ate the cake got sick." This differentiates between those who ate the cake and those who did not. Here, you have to ask if pony A or pony B ate the cake to determine if they got sick.

Everyone has already answered this. Everypony and nopony replace everybody and nonody same with anypony and somepony.

Technically, the proper form is "errpone."

900866 This is correct. One is a group reference, while the other is more specific.
Rules of grammar still apply, but it does throw you, at first.

Grammar*

Since the basic question has been answered, it's 'everypony' except when referring to groups that lack ponies; for example, if you're talking about the Mane Six plus Spike, you'd say 'everyone.' Because apparently ponies are racist. :trollestia:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 14