The Writers' Group 9,298 members · 56,449 stories
Comments ( 10 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 10

So I find myself at a bit of a crossroads. At the moment, I am working my way through writing a story. This story takes a lot of liberties with history and origins for things: thusly, the "Alternate Universe" tag has been applied. However, it also features humans, begging the obvious question concerning the "Human" tag. However, this story most certainly does not involve humans in the manner of the horrifically common HiE variety. Instead, it handles things in a rather unique way.

A superb analogy would be the universe of Middle Earth from The Lord of the Rings. A hobbit could grow up in the Shire, and spend their entire lives there, without ever becoming aware of the larger world of Men that exists outside. Similarly, in my universe, a pony could grow up in Equestria completely unaware (due to the country's isolation) of the much-larger, human-controlled world that exists beyond the country's borders. Indeed this is the truth for the vast majority of Equestria's citizens. These are very much "fantasy" humans as well, with no similarities to modern society or real life history (although they are in fact technologically advanced). Equestria's history is intertwined with human influence from time to time, but they are by and large separate species and states.

So perhaps you see my problem. The "Human" tag may be justified, but I don't want to form any pre-conceived notions in the mind of a potential reader. (I know I personally tend to avoid fics with the "Human" tag on them.) And since we take such a novel approach to the question, is it really necessary, especially since "Alternate Universe" has already been applied?

Thoughts?

I know I personally tend to avoid fics with the "Human" tag on them.

As a humanized writer, that seems like a terribly bad approach to ignoring fics.

As for the human tag? I'd say you need to go ahead and take your lumps like a man--it's the same principle as using character tags for semi-important protagonists. It's part of the world you've created, and so you need to tell people a bit about it with a glance.

This just made me think of a question of my own:
If you had elves and dwarves, would that call for the Human tag even if there are no actual humans?

But to answer your question: The Human tag is for stories that feature humans, in any form. Also includes anthropomorphizied ponies.

You could put a note to that extent in the description.Also, as long as none of the humans have a primary role in the story you could be justified in leaving out the 'human' tag - yes there are humans in the story, but they're just there.

The way I understand it, the [Human] tag applies to all stories that involve humans in any way whatsoever (with the exception of crossovers). That covers human in Equestria, ponies on Earth, humanized/anthro AUs, and AUs where humans play a historical role (seems most relevant here).

Ask Wanderer D about this. I usually just chat him up with confusion about tags. Heck, with Crossovers, you don't need a Human tag.

I say it all depends on the extent of human/pony interaction. Do they play an integral part in the story? If so, yes. If they're there but not hugely important, you might be able to get away with not using the tag. Using a Human tag because they're mentioned a few times seems to me like using the Comedy tag because you make a few jokes here and there. Only use the tag if it's an overarching theme. The way you describe your story it sounds like you might end up using it, and even if they're not huge, best to play it safe and use the tag.

In any way whatsoever is right.
Yes, some people attach a stigma to it, but maybe this business is proof that you should quit applying that stigma?

A lot of people come to Fimfiction to read about ponies, and they don't want humans in their stories. That's just something you have to accept, same as how a grimdark writer will have to accept that a lot of people don't want to read about grimdark ponies, or a comedy writer won't be appreciated by purveyors of serious fiction, etc. etc. There's no such thing as a story everyone likes.

On topic: I do believe it's if there's any humans at all, same as if you use the "sex" tag if there's any sex at all.

A lot of people come to Fimfiction to read about anthro 2nd person clop

Fixed that for you. :ajsmug:

But, yeah, I understand that there's no such thing as a story loved by everyone, it's just irksome knowing that some don't even bother to spare a glance on certain works.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 10