The Writers' Group 9,298 members · 56,449 stories
Comments ( 43 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 43

Every picture tells us a story.

Sometimes we don't like the ending...

Sometimes we don't understand it.

- The Cheshire Cat (American McGee's Alice).

'You're a Wizard, Frodo'

- Professor Charles Xavier (The Elderscrolls V - Return of the Jedi)

I got these on my user page.

"The meaning you infused into a story is a pointless exercise; just write what you feel is right for the story and let the crowd try to give meaning to the fact there was a crow in the scene, despite the fact you simply liked the bird."
~Anonymous
"Knowledge is knowing that the tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad."
~Brian O'Driscoll
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, rather than to speak and remove all doubt."
~Abraham Lincoln
"With suffiecnt thrust, pigs fly just fine."
~Anonymous

Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."

~Captain America

A pictures worth a thousand words... so a few white lies shouldn't hurt.

~Rhett and Link :P

"Well, to be fair, I did have a few gadgets he probably didn't, like a teaspoon and an open mind."

"There's no point in growing up if you can't be childish sometimes!"

"Courage isn't just a matter of not being frightened, you know. It's being afraid and doing what you have to do anyway."

"All over the world, fools are poised, ready to let death fly. Machines of Death, Morgaine, screaming from above, light brighter than the sun. Not a war between armies, nor a war between nations, just death. Death gone mad! A child looks up into the sky, his eyes turn to cinders. No tears, only ashes. Is this honor? Is this war? Are these the weapons you would use!?"

-Guess Who :raritywink:

Owlor
Group Admin

"Do not fear to be eccentric in opinion, for every opinion now accepted was once eccentric.":twilightsheepish:
-- Bertrand Russell

"Monsieur l'abbé, I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write":twilightangry2:
-- Voltaire (attributed)

"I maintain there is much more wonder in science than in pseudoscience. And in addition, to whatever measure this term has any meaning, science has the additional virtue, and it is not an inconsiderable one, of being true.":twilightoops:
-- Carl Sagan

"If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them." :facehoof:
-- Isaac Asimov

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world":twilightangry2:
-- Richard Dawkins

"I'd rather be a rising ape than a fallen angel":rainbowdetermined2:
--Terry Pratchett

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool.":twilightoops:
--Richard Feynman,

"“As man advances in civilization, and small tribes are united into larger communities, the simplest reason would tell each individual that he ought to extend his social instincts and sympathies to all members of the same nation, though personally unknown to him.

This point being once reached, there is only an artificial barrier to prevent his sympathies extending to the men of all nations and races.” :twilightsmile:
--Charles Darwin

"Everything starts as somebody's daydream." :twilightsmile:
--Larry Niven

".Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win.":pinkiecrazy:
--Stephen King

"Fairy Tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten."
--G. K. Chesterton

"Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand."
--Mark Twain

"Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place to train."
--Morihei Ueshiba

"Governing a large country is like frying a small fish":trollestia:
-Laozi

"A European says: I can't understand this, what's wrong with me? An American says: I can't understand this, what's wrong with him?":facehoof:
--Terry Pratchett

"The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before.":twilightsmile:
--Neil Gaiman

Distrance
Group Contributor

Honestly I'm surprised no one has quoted some C.S Lewis since his words have a striking relevance to our fandom and it's message in general.

Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art... It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things that give value to survival.
-- C.S. Lewis

Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”
-- C.S. Lewis

Here; have some Walter Moers quotes. Honestly I think that the man deserves far more attention than he's gotten.

“In my profession it isn’t a question of telling good literature from bad. Really good literature is seldom appreciated in its own day. The best authors die poor, the bad ones make money — it’s always been like that. What do I, an agent, get out of a literary genius who won’t be discovered for another hundred years? I’ll be dead myself then. Successful incompetents are what I need.”
-- Walter Moers

“Stealing from one author is plagiarism; from many authors, research.”
-- Walter Moers

“Ordinary folk prefer familiar tastes - they'd sooner eat the same things all the time - but a gourmet would sample a fried park bench just to know how it tastes.”
-- Walter Moers

"Those who are heartless once cared too much."
-- Anonymous

“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
-- Kurt Vonnegut

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."
-- Plato

speak the truth, even if your voice shakes.
-Susan Sarandon

‎"You're a Wizard, Frodo."
- Professor Charles Xavier (The Elderscrolls V - Return of the Jedi)

"Be excellent."
~Dennis Ahern

"Do you know what happens when you assume? You make an 'ass' out of 'u' and 'me.'"
~Paul Homer

"Why? Why not?!"
~Raymond Gonzalez

"Do you know the difference between a man and a boy? A man takes responsibility. A boy makes excuses."
~William Bozzone

"We're gonna go through them like shit through a goose!"
~Kyle Egan

"The greatest nation is imagination."
~Fred Rogers

The first four are from teachers of mine. The next is a former teammate. The last is my role model.

"Give a man to fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime."

-Unknown

"I sell propane and propane accessories."

-Hank Hill

"Anything less than immortality is just a waste of time."
-Bender

"I do not claim to know everything, just more than you."
-myself

"If you do not shut up, I will beat you to death with one of the locals."
-Me playing Silent Hill 2, listening to Eddie whine. I fucking hate that guy.

Good ol' pukin' Eddie. Now HE was a real american hero.

"Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?" :pinkiecrazy:
"Potestas Est Aurum":scootangel:
"Man muss nur versuchen, es noch einmal zu denken." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe ("All intelligent thoughts have already been thought; what is necessary is only to try to think them again.") :twistnerd:

"Whether spiritual or scientific, we see truth through dark-tinted glass. Without faith, we might not so much as rely on the sun to rise. Even the most thorough experimentation or a lifetime of experience can leave room for error or uncertainty. We all press on regardless, and some of us try to connect with whatever cosmic truth exists, hoping that, by a power beyond ourselves, we can understand and prepare for whatever end will come."

“The purpose of faith isn’t to make bad things go away, at least not usually. In my experience, it’s been more to give reason for suffering and strength to grow from trials.”

"A man can accomplish anything when he realizes he's a part of something bigger. A team of people who share that conviction can change the world." – Phil Coulson.

Gar taldin ni jaonyc; gar sa buir, ori’wadaas’la. – Nobody cares who your father was, only the father you’ll be.
- Mandalorian saying. Star Wars franchise.

ThatWeatherstormChap
Group Contributor

"I would have never called him that if I knew... You don't... You don't call retarded people 'retards'. It's in bad taste. You call your friends 'retards' when they're acting retarded."
- Michael Scott

"Those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter."
- Bernard M. Baruch

3598909 You should watch yourself. :twilightsmile:

“A man or a woman who is a medium or a necromancer shall surely be put to death. They shall be stoned with stones; their blood shall be upon them.
~Leviticus 20:27”

“If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.”
- Oscar Wilde

"Optimism through stalwart skepticism is a defect not everyone is lucky enough to be cursed with."
-Dave Strider, Homestuck

"This doesn't look easy. But I bet it is!"
-Homer Simpson, The Simpsons

298630 Some of the greatest quotes I've heard are:

"Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country." John F. Kennedy's innagural address, 1961

"We cannot say to ten percent of the population, that you can't have that right." John F. Kennedy's speech on civil rights.

"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies. It takes even greater courage to stand up to your friends." Albus Dumbledore, "Harry Potter and The Sorcer's/Philoposher's Stone"

"We're not gods. We don't decide who lives and who dies." Superman, Injustice: Gods Among Us

"A strong man stands up for himself. A Stronger man stands up for others." Ben, Dreamwork's "Barnyard"

"Truth is the glue that holds government together. Not only our government, but civilization itself." Gerald Ford's remarks upon entering office.

"Friendship is like peeing yourself. Everyone can see it, but only you know the warmth it brings"
-Anonymous

There's a difference between a philosophy and a bumper sticker.
-Charles M. Schulz

You can’t stop something until you take away its reason for being that way.
-Velvet Remedy

"Loose electrical connections or mechanical fastenings have caused numerous derangements of electrical equipment."
--from NTSB report mar0202

"All is strange and vague. Are we dead, or is this ohio?"
--Animaniacs

"God may love the weak, Glenna, but he respects the strong"
--Edmond

"Michelle, i don't regret this. However, i both rue and lament it."
--Futurama

"No cause is lost as long as there is one fool left to fight for it."
--Pirates of the Caribbean 3

"There isn't a man alive a woman can't persevere into the grave."
--Raise the Titanic

Melaka: "HE SET HIMSELF ON FIRE"
Urkonn: "Maybe he was cold."
--Fray (Joss Whedon)

"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without an accordion."
--Jed Babbin (with apologies to my French friends)

Applejack: "Then, this is our fault. We three tribes. We brought this blizzard to our homes by fightin' an' not trustin' each other. Now it's destroyin' this land, too."
Twilight: "And now our bodies will become as cold as our hearts all because we were foolish enough to hate."
--My Little Pony

"No war in the history of the world has equalled this conflict in mere stupendousness. In number of nations actually engaged; in its reckless abandon of human lives, destruction of wealth and the treasured creations of the ages; in titanic battles and sieges; fury of martial combat; prostitution of every known achievement of science to death-dealing devices and instrumentalities; in its subversion of the civilizing processes of morals and mind to justify the extremities and perversions of racial and human passions; in the overturning of law and order; and in the undermining of human confidence in the higher institutions of society, it stands naked and alones in its saturnalia of destruction."
--the circle of knowledge (19291), regarding the European War (WWI)

Dusk offered her a pleasant smile and a polite bow. “M'lady Gale, I am afraid I must leave thy pleasant company. It is often said that absence makes the heart grow fonder.”

Gale glowered at the stallion. “Then let us hope that I might spend the rest of my days growing fonder of thee.”

From The Lunar Rebellion by Chengar Qordath

"Someone once said that 'when seeking revenge, dig two graves.' Stupidest quote ever, revenge is AWESOME!" -Maya (Borderlands 2: Sir Hammerlock vs the Son of Crawmerax)

"That's why I love hanging out with you guys! Why shoot something once when you can shoot it 46 more times!" - Urdnot Wrex (Mass Effect 3: Citadel)

How about a few of my favorite quotes from my writings:

"Anything imaginable is possible." - Gareth Caldor

"Because someone has to." - Maythlar Cantaren

"Always I am trying to see whether or not something can be done. I never think, never stop to wonder, whether or not it should be done." - Soamra Lanor

"Being a hero isn't just an honor, or a title; It is the responsibility of those that have power, to help those who do not." - Martholo Cantaren

3601086 you quoted mass effect :pinkiehappy:

Four of my favorite quotes are:

Oh that a man's reach should exceed his grasp, else what's heaven for-usually attributed to Robert Browning

There's nothing so close to God on earth like a general on a Battlefield -Joshua Chamberlain

Prayers for the wicked must not be forsaken.
Do you think she deserves it?
They are not for her, they are for me.-Thane

That's not your conscience talking, that's your ego.

"I know my apprehensions might never be allayed, and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Myst, The Book of Atrus - Rand and Robyn Miller with David Wingrove

3599356 I watch myself like a conceited monkey watches itself in a mirror. :trollestia:
I'm just trying to do what Jesus would do.

I watch myself like a conceited monkey watches itself in a mirror. :trollestia:

3601719 I did more than quote Mass Effect, I quoted Wrex!

“The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it. You either have to laugh or cry. I prefer to laugh. Crying gives me a headache.” ~Marjorie Pay Hinckley

“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.” ~Dr. Seuss

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.” ~Albert Einstein

"And so... I love my dad." ~My older brother, when he was a little kid.

"You! ...are an American hero." ~My preteen sister. She's crazy. :trollestia:

"Even in literature and art, no man who bothers about originality will ever be original: whereas if you simply try to tell the truth (without caring twopence how often it has been told before) you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed it."
- C.S. Lewis

“You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching, love like you'll never be hurt, sing like there's nobody listening, and live like it's heaven on earth.”
- William W. Purkey

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 43