The Writers' Group 9,298 members · 56,449 stories
Comments ( 8 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 8

So, I've been having a few thoughts on critique lately. Why? Because I'm in a situation where I am obliged to offer quality critique on as many as six short stories a week, in a serious setting. Partially related, I am a StarCraft 2 commentator, and as part of the "job" (if you can call it that) for the organization I am with, us commentators need to make weekly vlogs. Mine for this week covers the subject of offering criticism. Since I talk mainly about creative writing, I figured I may as well share it here.

Please forgive the quality. I've had this webcam for about eleven years, and I'm too cheap to buy a new one. It's the sound that's important, which is good quality. I hope you guys find this useful.

omg.

You sound like a commentator.

I agree completely. Some say there is a fine line between coming off as a douche or showing the author(s) ways to improve. I think that when you critique something, go into like you want to improve it.

'Oh, I should have that as a capital letter!' or 'That sentence runs on forever...'

Another thing i usually aim for is to be honest. :ajsmug: Say that you don't like their work. Like you said, be positive.

Turn "This is complete crap!" into "I'm not a fan of (story basis) but I did notice a few grammar errors. You have great skill in description of expressions/scene/etc. Best of Luck!" Making a simple change like that in a critique can mean all the world to a developing author. Many on this site will probably nod their heads at this.

Awesome shirt by the way! :ajsmug:

There's a difference between disliking a story for it's concept and disliking it for the errors it has. Basically unless the spelling errors are a rea problem they aren't enough to make me thumb down. Overall you should usually try to explain what you don't like as opposed to posting "This story sucks!"

733003 Overall, I agree.

Your message here is "Criticize, don't hold back, but don't be a duche about it. Try to maintain a positive attitude and encourage the individual to keep going."

Even "harsh" criticism, if done tactfully, is a positive thing.

However, the other person - how they REACT to criticism - reveals more about that person than it does the critic or the critic's criticism. If the criticism is genuine douchebaggery, it is the victim's job to realize it and ignore it. It's his job to let that angry critic choke on his own anger. Anger is a poison you drink and expect the other person to die.

The real question I think you're wanting to ask is: "As a critic, how do you respond to people who don't take criticism well?"

Tuv

Being a critic is part of being an editor, when you give a critique on a story, you are editing it. You don't have to like a story to edit it, it doesn't have to be good, and it doesn't need to have the potential to be good. But, if you don't go in legitimately wanting the story to be better regardless of all that, you are just being a jerk.

Being nice and 'constructive', and I don't like using that because it has lately seemed to just imply being nice instead of helpful, is important for a lot of authors. Mental state is integral to writing. Even then, though, the goal of (solicited) editing is to make the story better.

"You are bad at commas" isn't the same as "You are bad at commas, here is a better way of using them". The key is actionable critique, you have to give something specific that can actually be changed.

I'm glad you guys found this useful. You can tell I was tired when I made this post, because I spelled "critique" incorrectly, and now I cannot correct it. Gah, that rustles me.

That actually raises a good point. However, those who cannot face proper critique should not be in the writing field. Bear in mind I'm saying "proper" critique. The first sign of a bad author is unwarranted rage toward legitimate criticism. I always take the time to respond and invite discussion to well done critique, as that's a big part of what being a writer is about.

Yeah when I do get critism, I also like getting examples on how to fix things. Although perfer private message for spelling corrections but that too much work Some have this mindset of " Oh i'm harsh casue I have standards not my fault they are higher then yours "

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 8