Scootaloo 2,575 members · 3,273 stories
Comments ( 3 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 3

So, I'm laying the groundwork for my sequel to The Secret Life of... Scootaloo. But I got to thinking. What do folks want to see in a Scootaloo story? What makes a Scootaloo story good, not just popular? And what's the best Scootaloo story you've read, and why is it the best? Just trying to write the best fic I can. Thanks for your feedback.

V/R,

Dreadnought

I wouldn't worry too much about other works. The best thing is to write with passion and care. Then you will have a fiction worthwhile. Personally I'd like to see scootaloo find a way to fly despite of her obvious lack of being able to use her wings but that's just my thoughts on it.

What do folks want to see in a Scootaloo story?

I guess that depends on the type of story. In general, though, good characterization is pretty important: Scootaloo needs to actually behave like Scootaloo, even if (or perhaps especially if) you're taking her out of her normal comfort zone. So, she has a vulnerable side that she doesn't want to show anypony, tries to be cool but has an immature idea of coolness, and let's things get to her more than she is willing to admit. At the same time, she has a very positive and cheerful personality, and is very determined to achieve her goals.

Adorable Scoots is always nice, but keep in mind that she's rarely adorable on purpose. Sad Scoots generates sympathy but she will pretend to be tougher than she is. She's a girl who, most of all, fears showing weakness.

What makes a Scootaloo story good, not just popular?

Good writing, same as with any other story. Sorry, but that's the only answer there is.

There's all sorts of ways to gain popularity but writing a "good story" is the real magic: It's skill and cleverness and insight and heart. It's understanding how stories work. Make the readers interested, make them wonder, make them worry. And then, give them what they want, even if they didn't realize they wanted it.

My personal recommendation is to figure out the theme of the story and keeping it in mind. Make it the basis of your plot.

And what's the best Scootaloo story you've read

Hm, hard to tell. I kinda want to say No Longer Lost by KiroTalon. Maybe because it's one of the few fanfics I've read multiple times. In fact, I think I may have read it four times total.

and why is it the best?

I honestly don't know. I don't even remember being particularly impressed by it in the technical sense, I just kept coming back to it for some reason.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 3