Crossovers 7,372 members · 10,960 stories
Comments ( 14 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 14

...is that whenever a pony gets sent to a sci-fi universe, be it Halo, Mass Effect, Dead Space, whatever, they seem to understand the technology around them in less than a week.

I call bullshit.

Take Twilight for example. Sure, she may be one of the most intelligent and magically-talented unicorns in existence, but even she would be completely and utterly baffled by anything that is more technologically advanced past the 1900s.

Equestria is a place where steam/magic powered trains are the most advanced thing there, where swords, spears, and box formations are the norm in the military. So, she would be lost a sentence into the explanation of how something like a spaceship works. Even trying to explain how the thrusters on the back of the ship work would leave her confused.

[I'm not saying that the ponies are stupid. I'm simply saying that they're ignorant. The difference is this:

Stupid: Lack of intelligence or common sense.
Ignorant: Lack of knowledge.]

876074 Even though you may say this, some people get used to things quicker than others, be it a pony or a human. See, if the first hovering car came out, you'll probably be like "Oh, that's cool!" But then, when the first automated vehicle is produced in Equestria, people will think that that is the norm. Ponies are just colorful, friendlier-versions of humans (not implying that all humans aren't friendly). But yeah, I agree with you- it's a lack of realism. But then again, what can you do, right? :ajsmug:

I agree it is bullshit. They have a close to mid 19th century way of living so how could it be possible to figure out how to control a rocket or anything pertaining to the 20th and 21st centuries.

876074 Because magic.

:rainbowlaugh:

Comment posted by Tibbles deleted Apr 13th, 2013

I reckon that if you give Twilight access to Wikipedia for a week, she'll be able to figure stuff out, but yeah, for the rest of them, it would just be inexplainable magic stuff. At least, it would for the first couple of years, then they would start picking things up.

But the culture shock would still be pretty nasty to them.

876096 Which Doctor is your avatar?

876074. Actually, Twilight may understand more than we see, after all she DOES have a working brain scanner she used on Pinkie..

And also, some people in life get used to new technology quite fast, so it's obvious that ponies could too.

Furthermore, I actually could see Pinkie being a tech whiz if she ever got sent to the 2000's based on her character's personality and actions. After all, it takes a sharp mind to build a flying bicycle just to talk to certain ponies.

Comment posted by MrDenim deleted Apr 13th, 2013

Fourth Doctor. The reason I chose him is because he is the greatest one. He has the most story arcs and you can see yourself actually getting along with him unlike the stuffy third one who wears that magician outfit all the time.

876105 ... Alright I'll be honest, you made me chuckle a little bit there.

876090 You can tie the authors of the stories that OP used as an exmple and beat them with a sock full of wood screws until they change their story.

Well, we don't know the full extent of Equestrian technology as of yet. Yes, towns like Ponyville wouldn't be out of place in a medieval fantasy, but Manehattan looks so much like late 19th, early 20th century real world Manhattan, and let's not forget that ponies have DJ systems and devices reminesincent of early computers. While I still agree it would take a little longer for ponies to understand scifi-level technology, it may not be that much of a stretch for all we know.

I would like someone to determine the level of technology that Twilight has in her basement.

"Science."

Won't have to explain crap to them.

BRILLIANT!

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 14