Struggling Authors 3,674 members · 25,212 stories
Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6

So, most characters on this site are your typical earth pony, pegasus, or unicorn. Perhaps sometimes you'll get an occasional batpony or alicorn OC, but I want to do something new. What is the craziest hybrid possible in the world of My Little Pony (cannon species please.)

I need some ideas about what species to make a certain character I want to write about and even what they look like/abilities. But mostly species! Things like Changelings, Kirins, Griffins, Seaponies, heck, even one of the comic species at this point! Tell me what the most interesting hybrid to you would be (yes they can be part pony) I would love to hear your ideas!

Kirin/Alicorn hybrid. This came from one of the stories I read:
https://www.fimfiction.net/story/533367/misplaced-wings

That's only I could think of

Ok, I can think of a few:

• Hydragon: hydra x dragon. They are basically a dragon with 4 heads, all of which are sapient and have distinct personalities. They can breathe fire too. A force to be reckoned with within the dragon society. However, due to their origin, they get discriminated a lot, to the point they become hateful and hostile. Would make for an interesting story when one of the heads befriends a pony.
  • Sirendigo: siren x windigo. An absolute terror, they hide in the sea, catching ships going through by inducing negative emotions and conflicts with their songs, then feed on those emotion and use the power to freeze the entire sea around the ships, turning it into their breeding ground.
  • Smoozony: the Smooze x pony. Basically a pony with the ability to turn their body into slime. Depending on which direction you want to go, they can either struggle to maintain their form which would play for comedy, or they can master the transformation and become a superhero, basically a pony version of plastic man.
  • Kirinix: kirin x phoenix, most likely through magic fusion. Whenever they are angry, they burst into flame and burn into a crisp, then get reborned. Constantly getting poked into anger by their friends for laugh. However, depending on their anger, the power of their outburst could be very strong, perhaps to nuclear level. And thanks to the ability to reborn from that flame, could allow them to pull off some miracle fight against the enemies.

As a side note, I'm totally thinking Twilight could have some kirin blood in her.

A Kirin able to resurect themselves actually sounds very interesting and would make for an interesting story. This would basically make them immortal

Manticore/Pegasus: Big flying cat pony with scorpion tail. Prone to aggression, below average intellect (but not outright retarded, think Derpy or even Dash) and able to kill easily while craving meat...probably shunned by society, especially as while manticores are somewhat sapient, it'd be pretty taboo to mate with one.

Timberwolf/Earth Pony: Much like above, but with nature powers and less lethality, and may start out earth pony, but half transform from being mated. Big source of angst.

Bunny/Pegasus: All the problems with instincts and intellect, no lethality, and easily scared etc. Plus they would need to eat some of their own poo. Would be a hassle and get them shunned by most ponies, while they can't live with bunnies either.

Dragon/Unicorn: Jack of all trades, master of none. Can't do complex spells or fly very far or melt iron, but has flaming gas out either end that'd require fireproofing a lot. Also wouldn't fit in to either society, too impure for dragons and too fire-prone and big and generally destructive and deadly (accidentally killing their buddy by sitting on or sneezing/burping/farting/etc at their buddy would happen likely more than once by teen years, Spike was special because Twi was a powerful unicorn) for ponies.

One thing I'll caution you is that sometimes authors can try to make their OC an interesting species in order to make up for them being a boring character. Don't sleep on 'normal' ponies, my story has an entire subspecies of wolfponies and many of my favorite OCs are actually bog standard unicorns. you can do a lot to make a 'normal' pony unique, especially with Special Talents/Cutie Marks.

As far as interesting hybrids, I have one from one of my fic ideas that has never seen the light of day, although it's more a monster than a character:

Changego (placeholder name) the unholy offspring of changelings and windigos: Like windigos, the changego feeds on hatred and other negative emotions, but unlike the windego it is much more personal. The changego will target an individual that has a lot of hatred in their heart and transform into the object of that hatred, drawing power and sustenance from the target's hatred, terror and despair.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6