Struggling Authors 3,674 members · 25,231 stories
Comments ( 3 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 3

In one of my stories, one of my characters is obsessed with a real world fandom and she commonly makes references to it. In a later episode/chapter, she ends up singing a song that is a direct parody to a song featured in the fandom.

My two questions are this:
1. How can someone put music into a written story? For what I have so far, I'm thinking maybe it's possible to just post the link to the YouTube video of the song my character is parodying as well as put the lyrics below it since it is supposed to fit right into the story as if it is visual media, but I am not so sure if that's the best way to go about it. Would it pull readers out of the story? Would it be asking too much of the readers to go out of the fimfiction app to have to listen to a song they may never have heard before? Would they not quite grasp the moment at all and be completely lost with what it means? (More than one question here but you get what I mean)

2. I do recall something in the official rules for this website that you aren't allowed to post lyrics to a real song or something like that. Would posting the YouTube video link in a story even be allowed in the first place since the song might even be copyrighted?

Lots of questions here. I write my stories as if they are written representations of an already-existing visual media and would love to figure out how to make a musical number work within a purely written story.

If you want a good flow without distracting the reader midway, put that link in the author's notes, either before or after the chapter.

Usually, I don't click on any links since I am relaxing and want the silence rather than deal with external websites. Especially an advert heavy youtube.

Maybe if your parody lines are your own, not regurgitated completely from the music, you might be okay.

7863284 The rule is that if story approver googles any part of your text, there should be 0 results. So, popular songs in the story have no place.

But you can just produce original work. I literally linked to a Youtube video in my novel:

, but it's perfectly fine because it's original. One cannot copyright strike oneself.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 3