Struggling Authors 3,680 members · 25,267 stories
Comments ( 5 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 5

So I'm attempting to write about a unique pairing that has never been done before on this site. These two individuals clash with one another, so it stands to reason that they're considered strangers to each other in the beginning of the story. Over the course of a blatant setup of them being stuck in a room together, the two have a conversation and begin to learn and appreciate one another to the point where they leave on a uplifting note of them being acquaintances/friends. To help sprinkle a bit of that good vibe, I thought that it would be nice if they exchange their names at the end of their ordeal instead of having it in the beginning. This made me wonder, should I give out their names to the reader before that exchange?

The readers will know who they are regardless if they read the description/tags, but the fact that the two individuals is a him and a her makes this setup seem possible.

I basically want to express that a sign of a bond was formed between these two that entered a room as strangers and leads them into leaving that room as friends over the course of a single conversation. Having their name spoken throughout the story and ending the tale with "My name is..." seems like it wouldn't leave a powerful impact on the reader as it would with the characters.

You could use the initials of their names as stand ins or call the guy 'John' and the gal 'Jane' throughout most of the text. You know like 'John Doe, Jane Doe'

I think you can make it work using pronouns and other descriptions, like "stallion" and "mare," assuming they are both ponies. I'd try it that way, as it could make the story more impactful.

I'd say it may depend on if the story would be from one of the two character's points of view. if it is, the POV character's name could be revealed right away but the other could be referred to by pronouns until they say their name.

Or, they could exchange names right away, then start calling each other with a nickname or shortened version of their name (I.e. "Twi" in the case of "Twilight") as a sign that they are becoming good friends.

7684941 If they're canon characters, you should name them at the beginning because some readers have schizophrenia and can actually hear the character's voice in their head while they read. But they need to have a name at the beginning.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 5