Struggling Authors 3,677 members · 25,252 stories
Comments ( 12 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 12

In trying to make this group somewhat organized for the better of us all, I have decided to make the "Group Announcements" thread a permanent thread for new rules and systems (e.g., a new set of folders). To indicated a new rule or system, the words in parenthesis will change, along with a new thread post that begins with very large letters.

If you think the new rule or system is good, upvote or leave a comment; if not, then downvote or leave a comment.

I leave a comment.

It keeps things organized but it's not like I'd make the time to check every so often. I think just making a thread to announce changes and linking to the original thread would be best. It'll give a notification while still keeping everything in one spot.

981601 I do as well! Gee, we sure have plenty of common interests. :ajsmug:

I am posting here to let you know that you had my attention for a short period of time.

Alekusu-san!

Maybe you could, idunno, save the useful advice given on the threads to be deleted.
Granted, this sounds like the group that's most likely to get all the stupid questions but the advice given in response to said stupid questions may prevent said questions to be asked again and again.

You had my attention, and then you lost it.

I like your thinking.

Personally, I actually would rather have a question asked again and again then opt for "well look at these bunches of threads to see if your question has already been answered" (to me, that defeats the whole purpose of a forum and feels quite heartless). But if enough people want permanent threads, then I will have to comply.

I just read that one other thread after posting here.

It is good thinking to keep the group humane, but some threads can at times get extremely insightful replies as I've experienced on the Writer's Group.
Just my two cents; save the outstanding answers somewhere but not so people can just be redirected there.

The thing about advice is one peace that is helpful or insightful to one writer may not be so for another. But I do agree that there are a few gems that come up that may not appear again for a while. The trouble is deciding which is which.

My initial thoughts would be to have some sort of thread dedicated to outstanding advice. To make sure that this advice is a gem, we would install some sort of system to filter between the standard and above standard. The problem would be what type of system.

We could go with something purely democratic to decide what advice stays. The problem is, this puts inexperienced authors on the same level as experienced authors, which may cause some of the more common advice that is new to the inexperienced to crowd the thread. (That in and of itself is not a bad thing, but since the purpose of the thread is to save gems that are likely not to reappear, it does not bring it closer to its purpose.)

We could have a more oligarchical system where the more experienced authors decide what advice is worth keeping. That way the more exceptional advice gets caught in the filter while the more common passes through. The problem is measuring experience WHILE NOT measuring success or popularity, which is based more on luck than knowledge. I was thinking along the lines of number of words written as a measure of experience. I know this is crude, but it is the only idea I have. If you can think of a better system, I'm all ears (er- eyes).

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 12