FlutterDash 2,595 members · 1,424 stories
Comments ( 37 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 37

What would the name of their foal be? What cute and adorable, or awesome name do you think would fit? Filly or Colt? Earth Pony, Pegasus, or Unicorn? And don't say they can't have one!
Source

I think first we'd have to settle on a theory for how ponies choose their kid's names in the first place; I've read multiple theories based on some sort of precognition because how else could their names possibly suit their talents so well? Then we can talk about what they'd name their foal.

Or we can just fool around, I guess. Fine, if I'm fooling around, I think Fluttershy would want to name her kid after an animal in some way, while Rainbow would insist on something that sounded awesome. Maybe Redtail, like the hawk. Or Phoenix Down, that'd be a badass name, especially if she went into emergency services. Ooh, actually I really like that; Phoenix Down, the pegasus who saves ponies from death!

If Pinkamena Diane Pie is anything to go by, yes, some ponies do indeed change their name.

Meadow for a filly, Blitz for a colt come off the brain immediately for me.

I also don't think it matters what tribe the goal is, though a Unicorn might make things interesting for them. A Pegasus like them would be a parental trade off, if they'd be a strong flyer like Dash or an ok one like Shy.

I want to bet an earth pony goal will wind up a cross of Shy and AJ in terms of personality.

Given that they're both from Cloudsdale, it seems pretty unlikely that either would have unicorn or earth pony blood. In fact, it would stand to reason that being a pure-blooded pegasus would be very important to Cloudsdale residents when it comes to choosing a partner, because having a unicorn or earth pony foal would necessitate moving out of the city.

Not pictured: Dash's parents about to burst into the room with vuvuzelas.

Ugh, IDK. I need to write a story about it. :facehoof: My best Fluttershy kid name is Sour Apples, but that's a FlutterMac kid.

Ugh, IDK. I need to write a story about it.

*Whispers* Dooo iiiiit!

6098317 Awww, so cute! I'd assume they'd have a pegasus foal, though it had been proven in the past that two ponies of the same type do not automatically produce another pony of the same type.

I think they would have a pegasus foal, or maybe two. I think two would be better, with two filly or one filly and one colt.
RainbowShy(or maybe FlutterDash, but I think RainbowShy is cuter), Fusion, Flowerheart, Rainbowheart, Angeleye, Wingie and Butterfly for filly(or fillies).
Blitz, Stormy, Bravie, Hawk, Dasher for colt.
And I think one foal would be a calmer, cuter, kind one, like Fluttershy and a brave, competitor, loyal one, like Dash. But I think both of the foals would get something from their moms both, but example one would be more likely Fluttershy, with a 40-20% of Dash.

Pegasus filly! (via some secret spell that Twi will pull out cuz she's such a good friend)

I'd go for Melodic Spectrum as a name, if the lil one takes more from Shy; or Airheart Breeze, if the lil one takes more from Dash

(i bet dash would go full on dad, complete with dad jokes and a sudden love for outdoor grilling; don't judge me, i've gushed over the summer 76 skin)

Dash's (and Flutter's) parents were so terribly written in their respective episodes that I can't believe the writers are considered "professionals". Celebrating mediocrity would cause Rainbow Dash to be the exact opposite of how she is. If you don't have motivation to be great, you will NEVER be great. Her parents gave her literally ZERO motivation to do ANYTHING (celebrating last place gives WHAT motivation to get better?). There is absolutely no way in fucking hell that she could be who she is with parents like that. These writers can't write backstory worth a fuck. Take any professional sports player ever. Their parents are the ones that push them to excel (and coaches on top of that). If there's nobody to push them in that direction, they literally will not move anywhere.

Can't have a colt unless one of the parents pass down a Y chromosome. Since neither Fluttershy nor Rainbow have one, a colt would be impossible.

6118371 Agreed on Flutters parents. But Dash was always chasing the wonderbolts. She knew what she wanted. I can see at first being gratified, then embarrassed by her parents, then actively avoiding them. It still works.

Flutters though... I can't see it. She has an aggressive side. That had to come from somewhere.

Comment posted by Skylight77 deleted Sep 18th, 2017

How about the fact that it gave her the confidence to perform better? There's one thing that really affects Rainbow's performance, as well as most other people, including Fluttershy, that allows them to perform really well in an activity. 2 examples are in the Sonic Rainboom, and Hurricane Fluttershy.

The Sonic Rainboom, during the competition, Rainbow performed worse in the actual event than when she was training. With everypony cheering on Rarity and not Rainbow Dash, it took a blow to her confidence and made her perform worse. (Until Rarity's life was in danger.) For Hurricane Fluttershy, when Fluttershy was up to test her wing power, she performed naturally until she started hearing nearby giggles, laughing at her. That really took a blow in her confidence and made her slow down to a 0.5 wing power. Do you think she would've continued if Rainbow and her animals went cruel mode and told her that was absolutely terrible?

If you don't enjoy doing something, you're gonna perform terribly at it. For some, that moment when someone is told they were terrible at something, they don't try harder. They quit. For some, when they're told they were good at something, they'll love it and keep performing it. The more they perform it, the better they'll be. Sometimes people learn better from self experiences rather than learning through a teacher. Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, and heck, I think Rarity and Pinkie Pie fit that category perfectly of learning things through self experience rather than being taught.

Fluttershy discovers animals for the first time, instantly understands them. Rarity is embarrassed with her parents, so she didn't learn clothing from them. And Pinkie Pie, she had her first party with her family before she got adopted by the Cakes.

I seriously think people complaining about Rainbow Dash's parents being terrible are just overreacting.

It doesn't work for Dash, though. She would never develop the drive to be like the Wonderbolts unless one of her parents pushed her to be better. Which they wouldn't, because they celebrated every mediocre thing she did. If a child gets a trophy for fourth place, are they going to push themselves to get better? Not really. Not nearly as much as a child that gets reprimanded for a low placement. Children do things when they're younger because they crave approval from their parents. If the parent gives them approval no matter what, then the child will not need to push themselves to earn that approval. And then they won't push themselves at all. But if a child's parents demand better each time, the child will continue to push themselves and striving to be the best to earn this approval. Now I'm not saying her parents had to be overly strict, but SOME structure would have been nice to see. The parents she has would not be conducive to her development.

Just because Rarity's parents don't know much about fashion does not mean they can't support her and give constructive criticism to help her hone her talents. Dash's parents give NO criticism at all, constructive or otherwise. Until it's shown that Rarity's parents didn't support her, they're in the murky field of not really mattering for her development. We know who Dash (and Fluttershy) grew up to be, but the parents they were shown to have after the fact do not support their growth into who they are. We know who Rarity grew up to be, but her parents were not shown to be useless for her growth. That's the difference.

To be frank... She didn't need them. That was why Scoots got to tell them Dash was a Wonderbolt. She just stopped talking to them about her dreams.

It's a little presumptuous to say "no kid could ever do that with parents who celebrated everything." Thing is, when everything is an achievement, there are no achievements. It's the same as getting no encouragement at all. And Dash, with as much natural talent as she she has, would never be satisfied taking second place when she can win first. Scootaloo had the same problem, whether that's from inattentive parents, or no parents, yet look at how much she'd done.

You're correct in saying that some kids are satisfied with a participation trophy, but not everyone. Some kids just have that drive in them already.

Until it's shown that Rarity's parents didn't support her, they're in the murky field of not really mattering for her development.

Sweetie Belle's cooking.

Cookie Crumbles (Rarity's Mom): "I've been giving her lessons. I wouldn't be surprised if she's got a cutie mark in fancy cooking by the time we get back from our vacation."

Not if you understand psychology. You have to realize that Rainbow's personality is something she developed through interactions with others (which is how all personalities develop) so the personality she has NOW is impossible with parents like she's shown to have. Why does she hate losing? It holds literally no consequence, and it NEVER has. She has literally no reason to hate it. Yet she does. Why is she obsessed with being the best? It literally never mattered when she was younger, so why does it NOW matter? Filly Rainbow Dash with these parents would have a vastly different personality than the one we know because the parents would be the first interactions she'd have to shape her personality. Edit: Also, Rainbow is obsessed with being adored by her fans. She craves it. Since her canon parents gave that to her for her entire life (and then she resents them for it) why would she then crave it from everyone else?

You can claim that her natural talent would give her a boost, but without training (breathing techniques, wing placements, proper acceleration, etc.) she would not be able to fly. Just like it takes a long time to learn to run in a marathon and requires a ton of training and prep, she would need those same things. Her parents would be unable to give her the proper training since they have never critiqued her. Everything she does is perfect to them.

Take Sweetie Belle for an example. The first episode we meet her, she burns breakfast in every conceivable (and some inconceivable) way. And her parents celebrate her terrible cooking. This WILL NOT help her grow up to be a good cook. You HAVE to have criticism to show you what you're doing wrong and help you find out what to do better. Without that criticism, you'll wind up like Sweetie Belle. She gets praised for her cooking, despite the fact that she can't cook. This is the same problem that Rainbow would have had. No critiquing from her parents would stunt her development and she likely never would have learned how to fly, let alone fly as well as she does. Innate talent only does so much. You still have to have the basics down and you still have to have criticism to fix your mistakes. The criticism does not have to be harsh or hurtful, but it still has to be there.

Look at all writers, all artists, all musicians. They ALL get critiqued. None of them started out perfect, they still had to practice and they still had to be determined enough to push through obstacles that stood in their way. You could say that they had some innate talent, but without the drive to succeed and the critiques from others, they'd still be doing their art the way they'd first started. People develop interests that tie in closely to their parents, too. Writers will (usually) have writers for children. Actors have actors, artists and musicians the same. The strive to live up to parent's expectations gives them drive, too. Not everyone is the same, and there are some outliers, but regardless they ALL had to be pushed to succeed.

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at with this. Yes, we've seen how they treated Sweetie Belle, but she is not her sister and it is proven that parents treat second children vastly different from how they treated their first born child. Parenthood is a learning thing. We don't know how they treated Rarity when she was younger because they've never appeared in flashbacks with her filly self. They COULD have nurtured her love of fashion, but in the same breath we could also say that they could NOT have just as easily. Until they're shown reacting to her as a filly we can't say for certain. But if they DID treat her the same way as they treated Sweetie in that episode, then it doesn't make sense that she's developed the skills that she has since those two would not be able to tell her what she is doing wrong and she would then make the same mistakes repeatedly.

The way they treat Sweetie Belle is the same way Rainbow's canon parents would have treated her as a filly. Whereas Sweetie's parents were hindering her cooking in this specific example, Rainbow's parents would hinder anything Rainbow tried to do because (like Sweetie's parents) they would not give useful feedback. Just saying something is "bad" or "good" or "great" or "perfect" does nothing to show WHY that thing is that way. What makes it bad, good, great, or perfect? In cooking, it would be the flavor, the texture, the ingredients, the presentation. In flying it would be the exercises, wing positions, breathing techniques, and flying techniques. Consequently, martial arts are similar. If you don't have good techniques for breathing, or techniques for your movements, or proper positioning, you will NOT be good at martial arts. Regardless how much raw talent you have, if you do not have the basics, you do not have anything. If you do not get the feedback, you cannot get better. Talent or no.

6123625 You're actually trying to argue nurture over nature. Let's explore that .Rainbow might be satisfied at first with meaningless praise,it might even stunt her early development. But eventually she's to see that first place exists. Her parents cheer her on regardless, may as well give them a reason.

Personalities aren't nature, though. They are nurture. You might get your skills from your DNA, but you personality is entirely childhood development (aside from possible mental issues). Yes, first place will exist, but why would she care? Her parents celebrate her position anyway. She would have no need to be the best. She would have no desire to be the best. It literally has zero effect on her.

Regardless how much raw talent you have, if you do not have the basics, you do not have anything. If you do not get the feedback, you cannot get better. Talent or no.

I guess Fluttershy just doesn't exist to you. I already gave you the example of how she got her talent. When she first discovered animals, she was all alone. No friends, no parents, nopony to tell her anything. She learned everything about these animals, and got her Cutie Mark in them, all alone. Everything she knows about them is completely self-taught. The same goes for Pinkie Pie, Rarity, and even Rainbow Dash.

If you want more clear-cut examples, here they are. In Rarity's flashback, the pony she presents her dresses to was a teacher. Her comment to Rarity's dresses is simply that they are very nice. No criticisms. Rarity's the one who's disappointed because she wants them to look better than nice. Her own resolve is what's driving her to do better. Not her parents, nor her teacher.

That is the same way with Rainbow Dash. Everything that she has learned about flying has been through personal experience, along with encouragement from her parents. What you are describing is basically that no one, and absolutely no one, can get good at anything, without their parent's advice. What about those who don't have parents? There was a comment that Scootaloo made that suggested she doesn't have parents. Where'd she learn how to be so good with her Scooter?

Personal experience. How could Pinkie Pie's parents give any sort of criticism to her about her parties? Especially when her first thrown party was literally thrown as a surprise to them, and without their knowledge? She already became so good at parties, and her parents couldn't have possibly said a word about how to throw one.

Sure, criticism can help, but what matters most is how much someone wants to learn an area. No amount of teaching will ever get them better if they don't want to learn it. Pinkie Pie learned instantly about partying from a rainbow. Fluttershy instantly understood animals when meeting them for the first time. Rarity always loved knitting dresses herself, and wanted to improve herself, despite what her teacher said.

And Rainbow Dash? She loved flying, and constantly got praised by her parents for it. And they had a right to praise her. Remember, in the school that she was flying in, most ponies her age was still at the Junior's flight test. She was flying in the Senior's flight test. When she's already surpassed her parents' knowledge in flying, what sort of criticisms could they even give?

One last thing:

Why does she hate losing? It holds literally no consequence, and it NEVER has. She has literally no reason to hate it.

Hoops and Dumbell, aka, bullies. That's why she hates losing. Influences don't purely come from just parents. You could even say that all the criticism and hate she's received have purely been from those bullies, and possibly the teachers too. After all, since Fluttershy mentions they went to a Summer Flight Camp, she and Rainbow had probably had dorms IN the school for them to live in temporarily, being away from their parents.

6123694 6123702 Skylight has the right of it. Your childhood is about so much more than just your parents. It's your friends, your enemies, your heroes. Dash's heroes were the Wonderbolts. She admired them since she was a little filly, and the Wonderbolts don't take in fillies who settle for anything but first, no matter how loud her parents might cheer no matter how she does. Children actually rebel against their parents example. If her parents didn't care, it would only make her care all the more. She was clearly embarrassed by their behavior, and the only way to make them look normal in a crowd is if she actually did something worth cheering on. So no, Rainbow's parents would not have made her into a complacent layabout, because she had so many other examples to follow.

First, they never really go in depth into Fluttershy's talent. She says she can understand animals "on a different level" (which is not something that people do in real life) so we don't know exactly how she's doing that. Yes, she was born with it, but it only developed through her speech. Now, we don't know if she speaks all those different languages, or if for some reason they can understand her when she's speaking normally. With the episode Bats! she says that she doesn't know how to talk to the vampire fruit bats because she's never done it before (which means she needs to develop the ability to speak to them). We don't know why she's instantly able to talk to all of the other animals, because it's never discussed. Had she never been taught to speak at all, she'd be unable to speak to the animals. Her speech is the basics that she needed to learn first, before she could utilize them to get her Cutie Mark and understand her talent. She's my favorite character in the show. There's no way I'd ever forget about her.

Secondly, Pinkie Pie says that the rainbow had brought her joy like she'd never felt before. Every person is capable of joy (disbarring certain mental deficiencies) so that in itself isn't surprising. I'm wondering where she got all the party supplies in one single night for her party (or where she'd ever learned what a "party" was) so there's a lot of information left out. But what we can say for certain is that everything that she put into her party increased the joy she felt, so she tossed that stuff in to increase the joy for others. It doesn't take a leap of logic to figure this out. You don't get taught basic emotions because you're already born with the capacity to feel them. People share things that make them happy because often those things can make others happy, too. This is why Lauren Faust created the show to share with the world in the first place. Also, if it wasn't for the immense drudgery that she'd felt prior to the rainbow, we can't know for certain that it would have had the same effect on her. What if she'd already been pretty happy before hand? Would she have felt that same profound joy and thrown a party? If that rainbow hadn't "taught her to smile" (her words) then she wouldn't have gotten her talent, either.

Third, as I've already stated, without knowing how Rarity's parents treated her when she was a baby (before she went to school) we can't know how they influenced (or didn't) her growth as a fashionista. For all we know, maybe her mother was a fashion designer, or a model or something. Maybe they gave her good criticism about her early works and fostered her love of fashion design. We literally can't know because we've never seen them interact that way. But with how they treat Sweetie's cooking skills, I doubt they would have done much to foster Rarity's love of design, and that only begs the question: how did she get into design in the first place? You can talk about how she is NOW all you like, but how she was raised is what causes her to be how she is now.

Fourth, when you are a baby, you are taught how to walk, how to talk, and how to eat. You learn by your parents and by watching how they do things. Parents hold a baby's hands in the air and hold them up so the baby can learn how to put one foot in front of the other. Babies don't just do it by themselves. They can crawl by themselves if they reach a certain age, but that's one of the basics. The more you do something, the better you can get at it. But just like with walking, if you're not shown how to do it you don't "just know" how to do it. Rainbow's parents would have had to teach her how to fly (before she got into school) so they would have had to show her all of the intricate things required for flight. Birds push babies out of trees because the falling is what forces baby birds to learn how to fly. It's an inherent skill they are born with, but even then, unless their parent pushes them out of the tree, they won't just suddenly know how to fly. As for Scoots, maybe she's fixated on Rainbow Dash because she DOESN'T have a good role model at home. She does things with her scooter because she can't fly, and she likes to emulate her hero Rainbow Dash. But still, when we see Scoots she's already in school so we don't know how she was raised either.

For some reason you are missing the time between birth and when school starts. This time is where your personality is developed. And your parents (or whomever is raising you) are the ones that you interact with to develop your personality. Bullies don't radically change your established personality in a day. Hell, if you have a strong personality going in (like Rainbow Dash did) they won't change your personality AT ALL. Fluttershy's weak personality would be more susceptible to their bullying, but with Rainbow Dash to protect her, they would have little effect on her, either.

And where do you think bullies learn to be bullies? They learn from bad situations at home: parents fighting all the time, a single parent with stressful conditions, living with relatives outside of parents, etc. But even with those situations, they don't just immediately become bullies "just because".

So, to reiterate everything I'd previously stated, your personality is not something you're born with. It is created through interactions with others (most notably parents/guardians) and occurs right after birth and before school starts (which is why some kids don't go to kindergarten immediately, because they have bad personalities). Your skills, while being something you're born with, STILL require basics before you can master them. All the artistic talent in the world will not help you if you never pick up a crayon/marker/colored pencil. Hand-eye coordination is something that takes time to master. Nobody is a professional at anything immediately. I'm not sure why this is so hard to understand.

Nobody is a professional at anything immediately. I'm not sure why this is so hard to understand.

Maybe it's because you are contradicting yourself. According to your words:

For some reason you are missing the time between birth and when school starts. This time is where your personality is developed. And your parents (or whomever is raising you) are the ones that you interact with to develop your personality.

You are saying that someone's personality is entirely dependent on the way a parent raises them and the influence they have. You're saying that nothing you experience as a child will change that because everything is developed at birth. What about Pinkie Pie then?

Secondly, Pinkie Pie says that the rainbow had brought her joy like she'd never felt before.

That event happened while she was a filly, not a foal. That moment, completely changed her personality 180 and her parents had no influence on that. What was her entire influence as a baby? Quote from Pinkie Pie. "There was no talking. There was no smiling. Only rocks." By your logic, that would mean Pinkie Pie would've grown up to be a rock farmer just like her other sisters.

But just like with walking, if you're not shown how to do it you don't "just know" how to do it. Rainbow's parents would have had to teach her how to fly (before she got into school) so they would have had to show her all of the intricate things required for flight.

Pinkie Pie taught this when? And how? Both Cake parents were Earth Ponies, so there's no way THEY could've shown them how to do it prior. Not to mention, these two Cake twin foals were only 1 month old when they learned how to fly and use their magic.

For all we know, maybe her mother was a fashion designer, or a model or something.

And for all we know, maybe Rainbow taught the basics by a wonderbolt member when her parents were taking her outside. Shopping? Enjoying the park? Who knows? It's just assumptions, just like you're making with Rarity. I think Rainbow just learned how to fly in the same way Pound Cake did in that image I showed.

Speaking of park, it isn't just school where you meet bullies from. Unless you're claiming that every parent always leaves their foals at home alone while they go out to do the shopping they need to do, or work.

Before the rainbow, how did Pinkie act? She had been raised her whole life on that rock farm by her parents and so her personality was similar to theirs (rather dull). After the rainbow she felt joy, an emotion she had never felt before. Joy is something that everyone has the capacity for, regardless whether or not they feel it all the time (joy is a series of chemicals created and released by the brain). And despite that joy, Pinkamena is not gone. She still comes out when Pinkie is exceptionally depressed so she's not 100% different than she was. She does not like feeling that sadness, so she covers it up with laughter but that does not mean the sadness is not still inside her. Had she not seen that rainbow, she sure would have been a rock farmer.

Oh, yes, let's bring up the shitty Baby Cakes episode to explain how babies work in real life. Because everyone knows that babies are walking by their first month out of the womb. /sarcasm Twilight did not learn to use her magic until she was several years old, a little bit before she joined Celestia's School (and got her Cutie Mark). Sweetie Belle did not learn how to use her magic until she was several years old as well. In fact, Sweetie didn't even master levitation for the first several seasons. Baby Cakes ignores all logic (even show logic) for the sake of the story (which is why Pinkie Pie was so surprised that it happened at all). And before you go there, Flurry Heart was the same way. They were as powerful as they were for the sake of the episode's story, and nothing more. Just because they exist in the show doesn't mean they make sense. Shit, almost nothing that Pinkie does makes sense. She does things that literally defies all laws of physics. Should we use THAT as the basis to claim that ALL ponies can do the shit she does? No? Yeah, I didn't think so. Also, if Pegasi all flew as well and as quickly as Pound Cake, then why would there need to be a "summer flight camp" at all? It's there to teach Pegasi the basics of flying. Which means there's a certain age when they're supposed to learn it. So Pound Cake breaks the shows rules again.

And for all we know, maybe Rainbow taught the basics by a wonderbolt member when her parents were taking her outside. Shopping? Enjoying the park? Who knows? It's just assumptions, just like you're making with Rarity. I think Rainbow just learned how to fly in the same way Pound Cake did in that image I showed.

"for all we know" isn't in the show. It could mean literally anything. I'm trying to use parts of the show itself coupled with logic and psychology to bring sense to the senseless. Some parts of the show ignore logic because the writers would rather force a plot than follow their own rules, and I think that's sad. I never made assumptions with Rarity, I literally said that we don't know how she was raised. Until we see it in the show, we can't know for sure.

Speaking of park, it isn't just school where you meet bullies from. Unless you're claiming that every parent always leaves their foals at home alone while they go out to do the shopping they need to do, or work.

Unless you're saying that 5-year-olds will bully other 5-year-olds while their parents are shopping at a store, I'm not sure what you mean here. School is where kids meet bullies for the first time. It's the only place that young kids get to be consistently close to other kids. If a parent is with their child at a park and are so inattentive that they'll allow their child to get bullied, then there are far more issues here than just bullying. But then yes, in this case, the bully will also effect the child's personality. Notice that before I said "most notably" from parents/guardians. There are a few other factors sometimes but in the vast majority of cases the parents/guardians. But in any case, that is still interaction in the early development of a child's life. It still supports what I've said.

So, to reiterate, "in the real world" children will only ever learn from their parents and will never learn anything from anyone else ever and are doomed to be clones. Got it. Good thing Equestria is nothing like that, or this might be a problem.

Because it really isn't. Psychology cannot be applied to cartoons. This is a land where Pinkie falls to pieces and doesn't die. Where Rainbow can create an explosion by dive-bombing into an old barn. Where a magical mishap can turn you into a vampony.

So... yeah, Rainbow is just fine, she grew up fine, and her parents didn't hurt her, because we know how she is now. If, by some chance, they did stunt her, I guess that means somewhere in another timeline orphan Rainbow can fly faster than light and had burned the atmosphere away—

Huh. That explains a lot.

Something you need to realize. MLP is not real life. Everything you have been explaining has all been based on real-life explanations. You're explaining the way the human brain works to prove why these ponies can or cannot grow up the way they do.

They are not humans, they're ponies. And they're not even real-life ponies. They don't get raised in the same way that we do. And they certainly don't get raised in the same way real-life ponies get raised. They all have magic they eventually learn how to use. Some learn them very late, some learn them very early.

Let's take a look at Scootaloo. ignoring the possibility that the reason she can't fly yet is because she's crippled, she is still exceptional with her wing skills, able use them to perform all sorts of maneuvers with her scooter thanks to them. Where does she learn that? Certainly not from her school in Ponyville, otherwise everypony would be able to use their wings like that.

Cloudsdale has a flight school that teaches ponies how to fly. Some are a little late at learning than others. Example, Fluttershy. She looked a bit older than Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash in their filly days, and it really shows how much she struggles to fly during those flashbacks in Flight School. Meanwhile, Rainbow Dash, Hoops, and Dumbelle are flying circles around her. Some ponies learn faster than others, and some ponies just learn it naturally.

Heck, in the Hurricane Fluttershy episode, we see that there are even fillies and colts such as Rumble participating in the Hurricane event. Fluttershy comments that everypony else was flying at around 10.0 wing power while she was flying at 2.5 (her mistake, it was 2.3). That means that she was flying worse than the fillies and colts were. Fluttershy is an adult who attended Flight School. By your logic, she should be better than those who didn't attend Flight School, because, that's where they learn. But these ponies live in Ponyville, where there is no Flight School.

No. schools aren't everything. Your learning capabilities, depend on you. Some learn later than others, while others learn it as they're born. Just because Sweetie Belle didn't learn how to use magic until recently, doesn't mean everypony will have to wait that age before they can use magic.

Is it real-life? No, because MLP isn't real life. Princess Celestia is over 1,000 years old, and she still smiles.

almost nothing that Pinkie does makes sense. She does things that literally defies all laws of physics. Should we use THAT as the basis to claim that ALL ponies can do the shit she does?

If that were the case, then everypony would be capable of breaking physics. But her existence proves that it's possible that some special cases of ponies can. Just like with Rainbow Dash, where she is the special case that managed to perform a legendary Sonic Rainboom as a filly. To quote you again,

Should we use THAT as the basis to claim that ALL ponies can do the shit she does?

No, but we can use that as a basis that it's possible for some ponies to be that good at flying so shortly. It's rare, but not impossible.

I never made assumptions with Rarity, I literally said that we don't know how she was raised.

By this mare and her husband that she's embarrassed by. Everything else is your assumption. Let me also remind you that they were actually eating that burnt food as if they liked it. What does that tell us? They like Sweetie Belle's cooking.

Sweetie Belle is living with them, but during that Play they were doing in Show Stopper, she mentions that she wants to be a fashion designer like Rarity, making no mention of her parents. Matter of fact, the best we see from her parents is that Hondo Flankes (The father) enjoys fishing.

And if Rarity wasn't raised by them, then why is Sweetie Belle being raised by them?

You're saying that since they're not explicitly human, they cannot possibly relate to our world in any way? What about Zootopia? MLP was literally designed to relate to the real world. Why do you think you can see parts of your personality in the Mane 6? Why do you think they have weddings and family structures similar to ours? No, we don't have EVERYTHING that the show has, but THAT is why it is a TV show. In the show, its characters and situations (remember all those friendship lessons that people fell in love with?) are things that are designed for people to be able to relate to. Having school bullies is relatable for many kids. Living with people other than parents? Relatable. Friendship troubles? Relatable. The reason I'm using actual logic and psychology from the real world on these characters is that they're representative of real life personality types, and despite being ponies, they have the same growth and development that we humans do (aside from the three foals I mentioned, which even break the SHOW'S rules). Seeing as how you have literally no idea how TV shows work, I'm not sure what there is to say anymore.

You're just ignoring everything I say. There's really no point in talking to you if you ignore it. Rainbow was not ONE FUCKING MONTH OLD when she created the sonic rainboom the first time. Rumble was not ONE FUCKING MONTH OLD when he was in the hurricane. It's like you and thinking are mortal enemies. This is just ridiculous.

So, to reiterate, "in the real world" children will only ever learn from their parents and will never learn anything from anyone else ever and are doomed to be clones.

Where did I ever say this? If you can't understand simple English, please let me know.

Psychology cannot be applied to cartoons. This is a land where Pinkie falls to pieces and doesn't die. Where Rainbow can create an explosion by dive-bombing into an old barn. Where a magical mishap can turn you into a vampony.

Psychology and physics are completely different things. In case you can't understand that, either. Considering the fact that all of the ponies have personalities, yes, psychology can be applied to them. The reason people get so emotional over cartoons is specifically because of psychology. If you can relate psychologically with the characters, you can feel the same horror and sadness as the characters do when one dies, or when a doctor alchemically combines his dog and his daughter into a talking Chimera. The psychological aspect of shows like Elfen Leid, Fullmetal Alchemist and Modoka Magica is what gives them their immense strength.

The fact that YOU don't understand psychology or character creation (which is really the same thing) doesn't mean it can't be applied to cartoons. It just means that YOU don't understand it enough to see how it's connected.

But, you have both proven that you're not willing to put forth the effort it takes to think, so I'd rather not waste yet more of my time trying to explain basic concepts to people that don't want to understand.

You're just ignoring everything I say. There's really no point in talking to you if you ignore it. Rainbow was not ONE FUCKING MONTH OLD when she created the sonic rainboom the first time. Rumble was not ONE FUCKING MONTH OLD when he was in the hurricane. It's like you and thinking are mortal enemies. This is just ridiculous.

Or, you're just putting words into our mouths and believing we said such lies. I never said Rainbow Dash was 1 month old when she created the Rainboom. I never said Rumble was 1 month old when she participated in that Hurricane. The ones that I said were 1 month old were Pound and Pumpkin Cake, the cake twins who you refuse to believe even exist.

Essentially, you are stuck in the belief that every single character MUST be real life relations in your vocabulary or they don't exist to you. Even after I show evidence of other characters growing in a similar fashion as Rainbow Dash, you say it's stupid and claim it non-existent. Maybe it'll help if I explain how Rainbow Dash's life was formed into the character she is now.

Rainbow Dash as a foal grew up to love flying. Where did she learn it? Her parents are pegasi, so even with their constant praising, she can still get an example from them on how to fly just by watching them do it casually. She immitates those actions. Children will seek approval and praise from their parents whenever they do things. If they get that praise, they will grow up to like it. If they like something, they'll continue doing it.

Rainbow Dash loved flying. She got praised for it. She continued flying, getting better at it. She had no reason to hate it, so she had no reason to stop flying. School happened. She didn't like it. She was talked down on by her teachers, which is why she hates learning. She already knew how to fly, so relearning basics bored her. The only parts she would like are any activities that related to physically flying.

Would she want to leave? Yes. But then, most kids would want that. But they must still partake in school. And since the flight schools we hear are Summer Flight Camp and Junior Speedsters Flight Camp, it's safe to say she was at a Flight Camp where she's given her own dorm to live in, away from her parents.

Either she wanted to go home, or she skipped classes to do what she loved, and that was flying. Seeing this, bullies teased her. They probably made fun of her with saying she can't fly at all, since she refuses to learn the basics from her teachers. To prove them wrong, she challenged those bullies.

This is where her attitude of 'hates losing' comes into play because she knows she's a great flier, but losing would prove she isn't. And since bullies would get in trouble if a teacher saw them bullying other students, a teacher wouldn't be around. Perhaps she saw other fillies and colts picked on in the same way, claimed they were good and something, but lost.

This is where her Loyalty comes into play. From her own experience of being bullied, she doesn't like seeing others being bullied and defends them. The more she stood up to them, the more she flew, the better she got. She would initially hate the camp, but eventually, even without the camp, she found a reason to continue attending.

With her parents constantly giving her praise, she was given more reason to fly and continued to like it. By standing up to bullies, she probably got praised more and had more reasons to do it. If she ever failed, she would be looked down upon. She would hate it whenever she lost. So she drives herself to never lose, to never stoop to those bullies' levels.

Following that path, eventually, she met Fluttershy. Sticking up for her was the moment that caused history, and sealed her into the path of flying that she chose. Her love for flying would follow her her entire life. The only issue was even after growing up as a fine adult, her parents continued to praise her, continued to praise her when the things she accomplished were no longer a big deal to her. Now, she's embarrassed by them, but she still loves her parents a lot. And it took until Scootaloo to remind her what all they had done for her.

Now of course, most of those events are just assumptions, but according to your Rarity logic of Cookie Crumble possibly being a model, this could happen as well. That is why Rainbow Dash grew up to be the character she is now.

I understand just fine, thank you. My issue is that you're trying to apply real world logic to a land of flying talking ponies. Rainbow is as she is. Her parents are immaterial. They are more reflections of Rainbow than she is of them. Just think of it as Rainbow having twins who went back in time to raise her if it helps you grasp how this can all be.

I never put words in your mouth. You made a comparison by ignoring the fact that there are YEARS separating the ages of the ponies YOU compared in order to explain ONE MONTH OLD foals using magic and flight better than ponies YEARS older than them.

Heck, in the Hurricane Fluttershy episode, we see that there are even fillies and colts such as Rumble participating in the Hurricane event.

This is true, but you're ignoring the fact that Rumble is years older than than the Cake twins. Using his participation as an excuse for a one month old to be able to fly IS IGNORING THE AGE DIFFERENCE.

Just like with Rainbow Dash, where she is the special case that managed to perform a legendary Sonic Rainboom as a filly.

Yes, AS A FILLY. Using her rainboom AS A FILLY as a reason for Pound and Pumpkin Cake's abilities (ONE MONTH OLD FOALS) is IGNORING THE AGE DIFFERENCE.

All I did was point out that Rainbow and Rumble are NOT one month old, so using their achievements to compare to one month old foals is blatantly ignoring this fact. Yes, Rainbow and Rumble did things when they were several years old. Great. That means, when a pony is several years old, they can do things. It DOES NOT mean that ONE MONTH OLD foals can do the same things. Yet you're claiming that there's no difference between these situations. Which there is. Years of growth and development difference.

I guess you're still ignoring the fact that I said "WE CAN'T KNOW BECAUSE IT WAS NEVER SHOWN." We have NOT seen Filly Rarity's interactions with her parents. We have NOT seen Baby Rarity's interactions with her parents. Until WE SEE these interactions in the show, we CANNOT know how she was raised. This is what I said. This is ALL I was saying. You're ignoring this so you can continue spouting your stupidity.

My issue is that you're trying to apply real world logic to a land of flying talking ponies.

So your issue is that logic is hard.

You seem to have some issues yourself. Good luck with that.

So your issue is that logic is hard.

My issue is that you are using none. You're treating a fictional character with an unknown background as if her parentage is supposed to make sense. What if she'd been an orphan? Would she have been doomed without those all important parents to show her that the way to fly is to flap her wings? You're so fixated on your ideas that you cannot see past them, and so sure of your rightness that you cannot even continence the idea that another viewpoint could possibly be anything worth entertaining.

We weren't even saying you're wrong so much as that there were other paths Rainbow could have traveled that fit your psychology and still lead to her being the pony we know. Parents shape a good bit of who we are, but not the entirety. Her parents were obviously retconned, but the course of history does not change because it all fits together like a jigsaw. Rainbow had overly enthusiastic parents, she grew up, and it all sorted itself out. We didn't need this discussion to be what it turned into.

I'm sorry, I just don't have the patience to humor you anymore. I usually enjoy entertaining new points of view but you're just getting toxic now.

I guess you're still ignoring the fact that I said "WE CAN'T KNOW BECAUSE IT WAS NEVER SHOWN." We have NOT seen Filly Rarity's interactions with her parents. We have NOT seen Baby Rarity's interactions with her parents. Until WE SEE these interactions in the show, we CANNOT know how she was raised. This is what I said. This is ALL I was saying. You're ignoring this so you can continue spouting your stupidity.

And you're ignoring my main point. The reason this topic started was because you refuse to believe Rainbow Dash grew up the way she did. All I've done is make comparisons for how others were raised and their accomplishments to show how Rainbow Dash grew up to be the way she was.

Speaking of which, you've ignored my claim for how Rainbow grew up. Let me show you it again.

Rainbow Dash as a foal grew up to love flying. Where did she learn it? Her parents are pegasi, so even with their constant praising, she can still get an example from them on how to fly just by watching them do it casually. She immitates those actions. Children will seek approval and praise from their parents whenever they do things. If they get that praise, they will grow up to like it. If they like something, they'll continue doing it.

Rainbow Dash loved flying. She got praised for it. She continued flying, getting better at it. She had no reason to hate it, so she had no reason to stop flying. School happened. She didn't like it. She was talked down on by her teachers, which is why she hates learning. She already knew how to fly, so relearning basics bored her. The only parts she would like are any activities that related to physically flying.

Would she want to leave? Yes. But then, most kids would want that. But they must still partake in school. And since the flight schools we hear are Summer Flight Camp and Junior Speedsters Flight Camp, it's safe to say she was at a Flight Camp where she's given her own dorm to live in, away from her parents.

Either she wanted to go home, or she skipped classes to do what she loved, and that was flying. Seeing this, bullies teased her. They probably made fun of her with saying she can't fly at all, since she refuses to learn the basics from her teachers. To prove them wrong, she challenged those bullies.

This is where her attitude of 'hates losing' comes into play because she knows she's a great flier, but losing would prove she isn't. And since bullies would get in trouble if a teacher saw them bullying other students, a teacher wouldn't be around. Perhaps she saw other fillies and colts picked on in the same way, claimed they were good and something, but lost.

This is where her Loyalty comes into play. From her own experience of being bullied, she doesn't like seeing others being bullied and defends them. The more she stood up to them, the more she flew, the better she got. She would initially hate the camp, but eventually, even without the camp, she found a reason to continue attending.

With her parents constantly giving her praise, she was given more reason to fly and continued to like it. By standing up to bullies, she probably got praised more and had more reasons to do it. If she ever failed, she would be looked down upon. She would hate it whenever she lost. So she drives herself to never lose, to never stoop to those bullies' levels.

Following that path, eventually, she met Fluttershy. Sticking up for her was the moment that caused history, and sealed her into the path of flying that she chose. Her love for flying would follow her her entire life. The only issue was even after growing up as a fine adult, her parents continued to praise her, continued to praise her when the things she accomplished were no longer a big deal to her. Now, she's embarrassed by them, but she still loves her parents a lot. And it took until Scootaloo to remind her what all they had done for her.

There you go. Now, is there any reason she can't grow up like this?

Titanium Dragon
Group Admin

Please don't call other people stupid. It is fine to discuss stuff like this, but try to avoid personal attacks. Remember, we're supposed to be having fun with our fan speculation. It is alright for people to disagree and have different headcanons. :twilightsmile:

Sage of the Leaf
Group Admin

i really like hazurasinner's windy belle. She's their oldest daughter in that continuity.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 37