Sparity 1,910 members · 1,022 stories
Comments ( 25 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 25
TheAmazingPeanuts
Group Contributor

I come across this post here by kianamai, you know the artist use to draw those Sparity foals, Crystal Clarity and Turquoise Blitz in the past. She says that if Spike grows up to be with Rarity in the future it would be creepy, which is the reason why she stop doing Sparity for awhile.

What do you guys think of this, is Sparity is creepy or not? Let's be honest in the comments.

I don't really find it creepy at all. Love works in mysterious ways.

Not exactly, considering the fact that he's already gone through Dragon puberty (Molt Down)....

Also, let's not forget that Spike may not be as young as the show lets on considering that dragons age much differently than ponies. Spike has had his fair share of moments that showcase him a greatly mature light and even sometimes more mature that some of the Mane Six.

Plus there's the glaring fact that he was allowed (or in Torch's case, outright expected) to be part of the Gauntlet of Fire despite the majority of contenders being teenagers, and yet no one complained about him being "a child" when he got the scepter.

So if anything, I'd put Spike's age somewhere in his late teens...

We don’t really know the exact age of the Mane Six either, so Spike may actually be a bit older then we think.

Just seems like another artist on the more pretentious side. Wouldn't give it much attention.
But for the record, no. Spike seems old enough to make his own decisions. That's what matters most.

The Dragon Warlock
Group Contributor

I saw that post too and was disappointed how this artist changed their perspective on Sparity. She drew them wonderfully and I loved her children for Sparity. She sounds a bit pretentious here, and it's sad that she seems to have, for whatever reason, turned her back on it.

If it's about age, we've never been made clear about what age the Mane 7 are. We know Spike is older than the CMC, but nothing else beyond that. I believe the Mane 6 are still very young adults while Spike himself is in his late teens.

Yeah, Spike isn't a Baby. Twilight hatched him when she was about 5 or so, and I figure the Mane 6 are around 21-23 at the start of the series. This is due to Rarity owning her own business and Twilight essentially being a College Undergrad. It's not creepy.

I don't think it's creepy. I always pictured Spike to be in his late teens and Rarity to be in her mid 20's or so. the age gap isn't that big. Though I find it funny how she went from shipping Sparity to shipping RariMaud. Going from characters who have some kind of connection to a pair that really doesn't have much besides a friendship.

Guys, playing devil's advocate, you are asking this in a topic on a SPARITY forum....what do you think??

But honestly speaking, I still enjoy Sparity, even though there are more options for our scaled male compatriot...Sure I would love to see something concrete indicating that their friendship is more than that, but considering it's a little kid's show for the target audience, maybe that is the closest to it as we get. I don't think it's creepy at all--we have known time and again that Spike is probably stunted size-wise because he was raised by ponies and did not grow up as a dragon...We have see that Twilight is probably a Kindergartner when she accidentally hatched him (she's a prodigy for starters not to mention how she was raised) so the age isn't that prohibitely large. Spike's growth as a character and what he goes through shows me that he is more developed for his age, and there is so much that screams "ADULT" to me that the runt size is inconsequencial. Not to mention there is still the fact that if there are eight elements, it's interesting that Spike and Rarity are the two that seem to be the most opposite of their nature/elements, and that 'rebellion' against their natural status quo really makes them work together so much.

TheAmazingPeanuts
Group Contributor

Jim Miller has said that Spike and Rarity don't have official ages and it's okay to ship them. Here's a screenshot of him responding to a fan. In my opinion, these characters are not real and people should not take this ship seriously.

While I never been a big fan of her art, it's disappointing that she don't like Sparity anymore. I guess her opinion change over the years, which is why we haven't see her doing much art on the ship lately.

But oddly enough, SpEmber art is on the rise and like you said, people's opinions change.

It's creepy in the sense of age differences in the show. Spike is also a bit of an obsessor, but ots more of that childlike crush and not a stalker style boyfriend, Ratity tends to enjoy having him around anyway.

I mean, grateful for the art she made but who cares. Show’s almost over and since no one in the main cast is likely to get shipped before the finale, fans can have whatever headcanons about the main characters they want. She can do a 180 and flip her opinion of sparity but there are still plenty who are gonna keep shipping it to and beyond the ending.

The age gap isnt that big. I think they are just really cute together and work really well..

Ironically if the age difference is the issue, Spember might actually be creepier.

thats just sad that my favorite artist stopped shipping our favorite ship at least we have Pia sama

me too they are very cute

Look at Season 9 Episode 19

I don't think so. I'm Sparity all the way.

I find it insulting to hear people refer to it as creepy. I feel there's nothing wrong with it and I don't find it creepy or anything of the sort. I think its a sweet, heartwarming and adorable love that yes, is different, but why does that make it creepy? I feel if the show's writers felt it was "wrong" or "creepy" they would have stopped including it in the characters a long time ago.

I find it endearing to see Spike love Rarity, seeing someone follow their passion and care for someone even though it's a long shot by most people's standards. Seeing them together makes me happy, people in love always brings a smile to my face and I think it's kinda saddening to hear something as wonderful as love being labeled with such degrading words. But that's my feelings on it.

I find it rather charming and sweet. Perhaps there will be some people who think differently, but such is the norm.

:rainbowlaugh: That was the first thing that came to mind when I first saw people defending Spember and bashing Sparity. It's all the more likely that Ember is far older then Rarity.

Two words, Ferb and Vanessa. I seem people said that Fluttercord is creepy because of the age different. And people think that Gabby is the same age as the CMC. They forget that Gabby have a job( 16 years old minimum) and she work as a mailgriffon(18 years minimum)

People mislabel Spike's age because Twilight and other have call him a baby dragon ignoring that Twilight said that ponies doesn't know anything about dragon's biology. They tried to equated his age to the CM because of his size which ignored the fact that the smallest male human is 21.51 in( below 2 ft which is 24 in). Both Ember and Garble called Spike a runt which is a person smaller than the normal size for their age group.

Spike was in Canterlot on royal business which mean he was working for Princess Celestia or Luna(16 years old minimum). Spike also became Equestrians ambassador to the dragons and changelings( 21 years old minimum with college degree). All the dragons that participate in the Gauntlet of Fire were at least teenager or above including Spike(16 years old minimum).

The CMC would ask ponies older than them about what activity to do to get their cutie marks. One of their activity, zip-lining, was suggested by Spike. In The Break-Up, Break-Down, the CMC ask all the colts in their school if they were Sweetie Bell's secret admirer. They didn't ask Spike. The famous fashion mogul, Hoity Toity, came to Ponyville because of Spike.

Simply put. We KNOW that Spike is around five years the junior of the cast. Which to meme is within reason.

Sparity isn’t anywhere close to creepy, and here’s what I think of anti Sparity bots. (yes, my DA name is SuperMarioFan) https://www.deviantart.com/supermariofan/journal/The-problem-with-anti-Sparity-bots-812758587

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 25