The Conversion Bureau 1,318 members · 389 stories
Comments ( 35 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 35

In my setting, Humanity fled Earth which had been taken over by one of the more stronger Equestria's, the kind that win in the end and it's all tragic and stuff. Three thousand years later, humanity rebuilt civilization on another planet when a different version of Equestria shows up, albiet the kind that can be beaten with at most nuclear weapons. Peaceful intention or no, how would I prevent them from engaging in a retalitory genocide based purely out of fear?

After three thousand years it would literally be ancient history. No one would still be mad.

Maybe, but the purification of Earth has become the mythology here, with Equestria becoming synonymous with heck. So by modern day it would be like a portal to heck opening up in Mesopotamia

I think humanity wouldn't know much about that era sense almost all record of humanity before that era would have been long lost, due to all the chaos of the time; we don't even know what exactly happened in the bronze age colas 3k years ago, in three thousand years the history of what happened back then had longed sense turned into legends and legends into myths and with out the Earth existing anymore on clue of what happened. If the ponies show themselves to be non-hostile they might just tolerate them for talks, sense humans by this point wouldn't really need anything they could offer, except maybe for their magic and precious metals are nearly worthless to ponies they could they just could make trade from that and Celestia's wrath would just keep ponies as a curiosity at best to them unless humanity is once again near collapse through fault completely their own they could see ponies as help again, and is humanity isn't bound to one planet I don't think Celestia would offer them TCB just a few technical solution to hold out from the crisis, Celestia only cam 'help' humanity when it was on it's very last legs and couldn't hold out much longer.

Well it's just one planet, and while I do agree a peaceful Equestria would at worst be kept at arm's length, what if it was say Not Alone! Equestria and conflict breaks out as soon as their intentions were known

Due to advances in record keeping, the events leading up to the Exodus from Earth would more than likely be well documented. I can see this going a couple different ways, but I'll only go into detail on what I feel is the most likely situation.

As per the the criteria set forth, humanity keeps a high level of technology and even advances beyond what we currently know. They know the events of the past, and are prepared to destroy Equestria. In this scenario, it may be best to have the ponies either fleeing something or on the brink of national/societal collapse. This should at least give pause to most humans, and may even cause an outcry to aid them.

Either way, human troops should end up in a nation that resembles something from the Great Depression or post World War II. That's about the only way I can see an almost biblical threat being granted any semblance of mercy.

First thing that comes to mind are those grim dark AUs like Equrstria divided. If it was say fall of Equestria they'd assume the caribou were the demons from myth. (Technolgy backslid heavily after planetfall so things would fade btw)

you forget that a lot if not nearly all records are digital and the programs that can run them eventually become obsolete and and fade into disuse, in recent years we have discovered that a lot of archived data can't be easily retrieved or recovered because the equipment that could run them aren't in wide use anymore and were only maintained by a few enthusiasts, even NASA started to have those problems with drones and satellites because because they didn't have the computers or software to interface with them, and that is just 10-20-30 years gape, now imagine 3 thousand years later...

as for any kind of invasions of Equestria, the only reason that humanity's leaders would do any strikes against Equestria is if they want something that they can profit from by laying claim on it and that it is worth the experiences of sending troops there assuming they can Even reach equestrian in the first place in any meaningful numbers. We can just think of Iraq as an example the USA invaded it only on the flimzeist of proof of weapons of mass destruction, and stay their all to let big corporations to get control of the oil.

As for what views humanity scholars might think of the ponies, it would probably be negatives for the sake of covering their ancestors ass for ruining their world in the first place by their greed, but might have a counter current that would be that ponies 'saved' humanity on their terms. What ever facts or theories they might have had back then that the barrier was internationally created by ponies was extremely top secrete and was probably lost so Equestria's propaganda could make them sound like saviors of humanity back then could still remain of a sort at least maintaining small parts of their heritage through the ponies.

Why does everyone obsess over Equestria being OOC when Earth and Equus' universes crash into each other and magic begins to spread that the humans of this Earth are allergic to?

In that case, and accounting for a technologic backslide, perhaps a slightly better than current tech approach is what you have in mind? No hover cars and laser guns, but perhaps railguns and experimental vehicle mounted energy weaponry.

Societally the Exodus would have been filled with extremely pragmatic and cynical people. I could see them almost being like the Romulans in Star Trek. They would probably have been afraid the ponies were going to follow them,and adopt a more militarized form of society. I believe these survivors would likely end up with a military junta.

Assuming they are able to not devolve into bickering and warring nations (the initial junta would ensure a certain level on unity), and can technologically just barely surpass the current tech level, they would be better off than their ancestors.

If they are able to keep relatively reliable records they should know what happened the last time they encountered Equestria. In keeping with the pragmatic ways of their initial colonists, a pre emptive invasion wouldn't be inconceivable. What they do after would be up to the actions of Equestria, and as long as they don't want to convert humanity, I could see them becoming friends and allies.

First, in certain areas things are more advanced, such as orbital solar collectors and babage engines giving computers a head start.

Second, the colonial administration did collapse, so by 2020 New Earth Calender the world is divided into hundreds of countries. In that sense I interpret pragmatism and cynicism to mean that most places are socially liberal towards fellow humans and tad xenophobic towards the greater universe.

Sounds about right. Hope this is helping.

Hi.

If a small pocket of humanity had to leave Earth behind in order to escape genocide, it is very easy to guess what would have been their main objective moving forward: "never again."

So, if 3000 years later, a new pocket of ponies landed on their new planet, these ponies would receive the warmth of a bunch of vegan activists landing in a cattle town in the middle of a BBQ festival. And any further buggery would be met with weaponry that had 3000 years to adapt to magic while the self assured ponies stagnated.

If you read my earlier responses, humanity in my setting regressed technologically. So the issue is that if they break the barrier of this alternate Equrstria, they might glass the continent because they'll believe the entire race to be irredeemable monsters that must be destroyed

Is your setting based on the idea that the human colony ship exploded in space, and the only humans who survived the accident were a collection of kids and crackheads who landed in an emergency capsule rather than a proper lander?
Because, do you know how much it would take to preserve human civilization? One doctor, or one engineer, or one scientist. Any of them could teach, preserving the general education level up to high school, preserving the scientific method and scientific mindset, and allowing science and technology to regrow sideways and upward from their own specialties. Plenty would be lost, but by preserving the GE level, we would regain the lost knowledge and be back where we were in no longer than a couple centuries. Three millennia? We would be back in the stars and stronger than ever!

A thousand of those years were spent in massive rocket powered freezer but I digress. It's not just about having the knowledge, it's also about having the experience and the infrastructure to maintain high technology. The colonists won't know where the fossil fuels or rare Earth minerals to run their technolgy for a long time, there aren't any factories to make spare parts and no mines to supply them. Not helping is that the people of a cyberpunk 22nd century wouldn't know how to live off of a lower tech level either. The subsequent tech frying solar flare and the revolt against WorldGov didn't help. If it means anything, tech would still evolve faster because they know It's possible.

Kid; do yourself a favour and go read "The Mysterious Island" by Jules Verne. It's a very detailed tale of how an engineer and a handful of John Does recreated civilization up to their time in a remote island, starting with almost nothing but the clothing on their backs.

1) I'm almost twenty two years old, 2) if it's so easy then why don't people do it in real life when they're stuck with nothing but a shipwreck or plane parts, and 3) the doylist reason is that I want to make my own constructed modern setting like Ace Combat. So I don't need to be patronized

Comment posted by terranallias18 deleted May 27th, 2020

1. I developed a taste for science fiction twelve or thirteen years before you were born, kid. Come and kiss my receding hairline.
  2. Your setting is supposed to be happening millennia after the crash of a colony ship. IRL, shipwreck survivors don't tend to think long term, while your setting implies that they were settlers.
  3. Then make your setting make sense. Say that they crashed barely a couple centuries ago, so while they may have 22 Century knowledge, they simply haven't had the time, manpower or need to truly advance their technical arts beyond a hodgepodge of 19th-to-21st Centuries technologies. In such a setting it would make sense for both computing and air travel to be minimal, while all large ground or sea vehicles run on thorium reactors.

3) I thought it would be more interesting to play around with a longer time frames, and describe old dynasties, the rise and fall of empires, wars, politics and development of cultures. You don't get that chance if it's only several centuries and Humanity is still unified under the colonial administration. That, and several centuries would leave much of the planet barren and sparsely inhabited, and that's not interesting to me. A world with only a few centuries worth of history just sounds boring to me.

Then, as I already said, you would need to burn the initial stage down to ashes if you wanted 2000 years of development to have them at our level.

If I wanted to compromise, the earliest I'll go is one thousand years. That's closer to what you said and gives time for history to happen and culture to flourish. What is even your expectations of me anyway because this is more of a world building project than some diamond hard social sci fi story

In the good old days, soft settings were largely reserved to short stories.
"If the author's demanding me to suspend my disbelief for an entire novel, I might as well read fantasy."

"In the good old days" Okay boomer.

Science fiction is nothing but required suspension of disbelief, FTL, human looking aliens, the Force, artifical gravity? All impossible according to modern science. But we accept it as a conceit in order to advance the story. Nothing has to make sense, it just has to be consistent

Suspension of disbelief?
Go pick up a book by Asimov, by Bradbury, by Clarke, by Heinlein. If your speed is more "Technothriller", try Tom Clancy, Michael Crichton, Dale Brown or the Holt brothers. Go read "Brave New World", "Hyperion", "Neuromancer", or "Ender's Game". Go watch "Fantastic Voyage", "ET," "Metropolis".
In good science fiction, suspension of disbelief must be minimal, and largely limited to "we hope this works by the time this story happens".

Do you count Star Wars as science fiction? I call it "space fantasy". And I haven't watched a movie of those since I walked out of Episode 7. I hear they only go downhill since. Your speed might be more along going to the desert and snorting worm poop with Frank Herbert, or giggling at the utterly impossible landships that can somehow launch themselves to space at will in the late Bolo novels, or do all the drugs and go agree with Lucas that Jar Jar was a suitable replacement for Chewbacca.

There's plenty of xenobiological research done showing that we'll be far more likely to see aliens that look like extras from Star Wars, than intelligent blobs or fishes. If they made it to the stars and came from a planet similar to ours, chances are they will breathe air, will have internal skeletons, will have grasping appendages that they don't use for locomotion, and will be able to both perceive and communicate at a distance.

Go pick up a book by Asimov, by Bradbury, by Clarke, by Heinlein.

I actually read a bit of Bradbury and Asimov. The former had human colonists turn into Martians (I think? It wasn't clear to my elementary school brain) and the latter was had psychics, atomic energy be the end all energy source, and some giant organic space hive mind

Go read "Brave New World", "Hyperion", "Neuromancer", or "Ender's Game". Go watch "Fantastic Voyage", "ET," "Metropolis".

Do you count Star Wars as science fiction? I call it "space fantasy". And I haven't watched a movie of those since I walked out of Episode 7.

Why the fuck is ET, a kids movie about a psychic alien with magic healing powers in the same category as any of those things but not star wars? It's about as science fiction as that one talking animal movie where an alien can somehow talk to animals but we can't. Why the fuck are you citing a book from a time when people thought there was life underneath Earth and there was air on the moon as a source that 3 fuck faces can rebuild civilization on a random island.

In good science fiction, suspension of disbelief must be minimal, and largely limited to "we hope this works by the time this story happens".

You know what also makes good science fiction? Good fiction

There's plenty of xenobiological research done showing that we'll be far more likely to see aliens that look like extras from Star Wars, than intelligent blobs or fishes. If they made it to the stars and came from a planet similar to ours, chances are they will breathe air, will have internal skeletons, will have grasping appendages that they don't use for locomotion, and will be able to both perceive and communicate at a distance.

Wow that is amazingly vague and could describe any particularly clever animal on Earth. Crows, Octopi, Elephants and Monkeys. The latter of which only vaguely resemble humans because they're related.

Your speed might be more along going to the desert and snorting worm poop with Frank Herbert, or giggling at the utterly impossible landships that can somehow launch themselves to space at will in the late Bolo novels,

Hey, at least those are also good stories (not phantom menace), but you what I realized after reading through this? You're pretentious pompous prick who's full of shit and likes to gate keep younger audiences by calling new things "not sci fi". Also why the fuck is Bolo and Dune less implausible with fucking ET?

"The Martian Chronicles" had Mars with a civilization, then "Earthlings" came and treated them like the English treated the Amerindians. Not a happy ending for the Martians.

Why the fuck is ET, a kids movie about a psychic alien with magic healing powers in the same category as any of those things but not star wars? It's about as science fiction as that one talking animal movie where an alien can somehow talk to animals but we can't.

Do you want me to start listing Golden Age science fiction by well known authors that dealt with psychic powers, one way or another?
Fine.
From the top of my head:

• "Stranger in a strange land". Robert Heinlein.
  • "The cat who walks through walls". Robert Heinlein.
  • "Dune." Frank Herbert.
  • Childhood's End." Arthur C. Clarke.
  • "Liar!" (short story) Isaac Asimov.
  • "Robots of the Dawn". Isaac Asimov.
  • "Robots and Empire". Isaac Asimov.
  • All of the Foundation series. Isaac Asimov.
  • The Hyperion saga. Dan Simmons.

Believe it or not, kiddo, but psychic powers have always been an accepted part of hard science fiction. Either we meet aliens that happen to have them, or selective human breeding thousands of years into the future happen to make them emerge (weak or strong), or we augment ourselves and achieve machine telepathy, or a human baby gets raised by telepathic aliens and then goes to teach humanity, or perhaps we become playthings to immensely powerful psychokinetic creatures, or humanity simply reaches a tipping point and suddenly all children below a certain age begin to behave like a psychically connected superorganism, or some robots have spent the last ten thousand years creating a little isolated colony world were humans behave like a superorganism...
And yet, there are levels; hard or soft treatments of mental powers. Any of those I just mentioned are great, but I wouldn't recommend you to go read "Treason" by Orson Scott Card, where he just keeps pulling wilder and wilder trump cards out of his arse.

Why the fuck are you citing a book from a time when people thought there was life underneath Earth and there was air on the moon as a source that 3 fuck faces can rebuild civilization on a random island.

Because its a good example for its time? Well, that book reeks of Victorian arrogance (the notion that humanity is to do with nature as we please), but it is otherwise very good.

You know what also makes good science fiction? Good fiction

You cannot build a house on mud, unless you want it to come crashing down on you. You need firm foundations.

Wow that is amazingly vague

Precisely.

Also why the fuck is Bolo and Dune less implausible with fucking ET?

• "The spice" described by Frank Herbert has a very earthly name: mescaline. It is subtle, but he slowly describes finding a shaman, going to the deserts in northern Mexico to hunt for little cacti that look like manure, then having the shaman get you high and guide you through your trip to make you feel like you were flying through the cosmos. I personally wonder if the word "muhadi" means "kangaroo rat" in Huichol language.
  • IRL, do you know why battletanks haven't kept growing past their maximum size and weight they achieved in World War Two? Because, if you try to make then any larger, they begin to sink into the earth. As is, the largest Nazi tanks were already limited to firm terrain. Now, even an early Bolo would have been stuck to dry, hard ground, while intermediate models would have been unable to climb a hill. Late models, the size of small cruise ships but weighting into the millions of tons? They would have literally sunk through the ground, wherever they went. And never mind them actually firing a hellbore...
  • Do you really want to molest a xeno with the mind of a twelve-year-old boy?

• "The spice" described by Frank Herbert has a very earthly name: mescaline. It is subtle, but he slowly describes finding a shaman, going to the deserts in northern Mexico to hunt for little cacti that look like manure, then having the shaman get you high and guide you through your trip to make you feel like you were flying through the cosmos. I personally wonder if the word "muhadi" means "kangaroo rat" in Huichol language.
  • IRL, do you know why battletanks haven't kept growing past their maximum size and weight they achieved in World War Two? Because, if you try to make then any larger, they begin to sink into the earth. As is, the largest Nazi tanks were already limited to firm terrain. Now, even an early Bolo would have been stuck to dry, hard ground, while intermediate models would have been unable to climb a hill. Late models, the size of small cruise ships but weighting into the millions of tons? They would have literally sunk through the ground, wherever they went. And never mind them actually firing a hellbore...

And how is that any worse than people having mind powers in golden age sci fi, in fact the force is just the psionics you consider hard sci fi. You're delusional

Believe it or not, kiddo, but psychic powers have always been an accepted part of hard science fiction.

Then it's not science fiction, it's science fantasy. It's literally fucking magic

Do you really want to molest a xeno with the mind of a twelve-year-old boy?

Bruh what

I hope you can surf the web and find a few essays on the difference between hard SF and soft SF, and why old dogs like me despise the modern softening. Never mind modern cinematography, severely abusing "shaky cam" to a point that literally makes me dizzy (and not in a good way). Ray Bradbury was sadly very accurate in Fahrenheit 451, were he described that future entertainment would be all about psychological trickery, leaving storytelling a very distant second. You puppies are all soft in the head!

"Waaah, I am a old person and I do not like new things. New things are different and scary. All things should be like old things and stay the same"

What are your thoughts on the Expanse Covid toes?

"Waaah, I am a old person and I do not like new things. New things are different and scary. All things should be like old things and stay the same"

I didn't like my music to be full of insults and innuendos back then, and I still don't. What I despise from modern music is that more explicit music is hitting the mainstream. And reggeaton is the worst, often sounding all romantic like a good old ballad, but with lyrics that skip romance altogether and glorify casual sex or even promote one type or another of rape.

What are your thoughts on the Expanse Covid toes?

Toes? I trim my own.
My hair has grown out a lot, though. My scalp gets itchy at times, as I'm not used to not getting my monthly shave.

I didn't like my music to be full of insults and innuendos back then, and I still don't. What I despise from modern music is that more explicit music is hitting the mainstream. And reggeaton is the worst, often sounding all romantic like a good old ballad, but with lyrics that skip romance altogether and glorify casual sex or even promote one type or another of rape.

Wow. I don't give a shit.

Toes? I trim my own.
My hair has grown out a lot, though. My scalp gets itchy at times, as I'm not used to not getting my monthly shave.

Answer the question, what do you think about the Expanse, a hard (by your flaccid standards) science fiction show

Answer the question, what do you think about the Expanse, a hard (by your flaccid standards) science fiction show

The original question, as far as your poor grammar let me understand, was about the expansion of my toes during the Covid crisis.

Now that you've clarified: The Expanse isn't on Netflix. At least not were I live. Iv'e heard that it has some of the best instances of space combat since the mutara nebula battle in The Wrath of Khan, though.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 35