The Conversion Bureau 1,319 members · 389 stories
Comments ( 21 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 21

Something I've seen only thrice, albiet never getting very far, is the premise of Humanity saying "fuck this" and fleeing somewhere into deep space. And since chatoyance's setting has hyper nukes that's more than enough to propel a huge hunk of metal towards another star system, I've based my setting around this idea. What's left of Humanity flees Earth for more vibrant pastures, and the purification of Earth eventually fades to myth and becomes the bases of multiple religions, and ponies are akin to demons in pop culture. Where this story would go? Maybe another version of Equestria appears on New Earth, maybe they reinvent space flight and rediscover old Earth covered in a pink bubble, maybe the space Catholic church deorbits some asteroids as a result. What are your thoughts on such a premise?

There was a book with a premise like this. With one nation controlling Earth and the other the Moon, the Asteroid Belt and a small colony on Mars. The orbitals were held but needed some support from Earth while Earth could withhold it for long enough for everyone in space to starve. So they debited several planet killers and defended them all the way to atmosphere. In the end it was all to buy time for a colony ship to escape the Asteroid Belt with the intention of returning someday.

Wait who are we to sympathize with here?

I do remember another fic that did go far enough, but Equestria appeared after they left the planet. And they used high tech vanu space bug bullshit to slip through the portal. Time frames were fucky as the United States survived after several thousand years with no appearant technological advancement.

Since my stories aren't set in whatever other continuities exist, my TCB stories use modern tech. And humanity right now? We've turned completely inward. With no Russia to compete against, the space race died out. The REALISTIC question is, 1) how many years would it take for thaumic radiation that ponies need to live but is deadly to humans to spread over Earth? 2) How long it would take to evacuate 8 billion humans? 3) Where would all those humans travel TO using modern day space travel? 4) People REALLY underestimate how much gravity plays a role in us living. Zero-G requires almost constant exercise to keep your heart from withering away.

Cynically speaking, I think by the time the colony ships are ready to go most of the Human population would have either died or been ponfied. So you don't have to worry about all 8 billion people. Other than that yeah modern OTL Earth would be fucked

Of course if this is actual Equestria, then all we have to worry about is deciding: do you want to be a zebra, a griffin, a drago (only 1% of the population allowed), a Yak, a Yeti , minotaur Abyssinian, Hippogriff, Merpony, Breezie, Symbiot Changeling, Parasite Changeling, or pony? And then get back to work since you've still gotta pay rent at the end of the month whether you've got hooves or not!

If it was actual Equestria we'd come out of it with pony ears and long pony tails on our heads at worst because they actually give a shit and aren't evil. But these stories are never rational, not even in the shitty hp fic sense

I am going to dare toot my own horn. https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Fanfic/TheConversionBureauNotJustPonies

The whole point of this story is that they ARE themselves here.
(And Earth-2 humans find Equestria Girls Earth humans Uncanny Valley and creepy... after Sunset and Twilight bargained with Agent Sweetie Drops of EG-Earth with information on Equestria magic to allow in a number of refugees.)

Neat. I'd prefer not to imagine what they'd look like to our eyes. Probably pastel colored grays with hair

I once actually had a DM with Chat, and I don't think she knows how orion drives or orbital mechanics works, since she assumes the power of nuclear bombs would only take us to the moon. And remember Chat!humanity has much more potent stuff in her stories, so at least they should be fine

For a longer trip orion drives are kind of meh. They're good for lifting lots of stuff into orbit, then you'd use your fissile material more effectively with an ion drive or something.

As for the OP... I think Project... Gamma? The one with griffons? Had one of the parallel projects (in addition to ongoing efforts to slow the barrier, and conversion bureaus of course) being 'escape into space', but no one thought it was really practical.

Fair point, that version of Humanity's space flight capacity has been left... Vague.

Well, Chatty's premise (the ever expanding barrier purifying the Earth) is largely dependent on considering us humans as utterly disorganized, greedy and selfish, so no colony ships would have ever lifted up simply because we would have climbed over each others for a seat, resulting in the destruction and/or collapse of any real massive ships and the liftoff of an insignificant amount of billionaires in self sufficient space yatchs.

IRL, the very practical technology of the Orion drive would be quite capable of lifting vessels as large as our largest cruise ships, but the launching site would end up a radioactive wasteland. That would be complete Moon colonies, space colonies and/or Mars colonies. Humanity would bottleneck down to tens of thousands, and would lose Earth, but would be better off by having achieved becoming a spacefaring civilization. And I very much imagine we would begin bombarding Earth with asteroids within decades, so the ponies couldn't follow them into space and finish humanity's extinction.

I left it vague deliberately. The Protaginists in the book are the bad guys though. It was all about them conquering the Earth through slavery, genetic tampering, mind control, conquest, etc. They won it through releasing a madness plague on the other side. And that final war left Earth a radioactive and biological mess. Enough that the Mediterranean froze over.

As I recall, one of the premises in Chatoyance's universe was lack of energy resources, otherwise I'm sure all the Elite would have been living in space (colonies or the Moon) and the rest of us would be eaking out a living on much more polluted Earth.

Funnily enough I took that into account, however that shit wouldn't happen until they actually reached the planet causing WorldGov to collapse.

That second part is pretty important, because of what I heard TCB!Celestia would quote un-quote "shit bricks" pure nightmare fuel.
Pardon? Madness disease? Is it biological or memetic
I honestly wouldn't want to be so close to her that she might somehow fly to it and leave behind a horrific video log

It was a deliberately designed very catchy plague designed to literally drive the recipients to outright insanity then into suicidal tendacys. If I remember correctly one character was talking to the Prime Minister in London when he started screaming and ripped his own eyes out. Twenty minutes later London was destroyed in a nuclear fireball that was self inflicted.

Uhh... Reading back on your posts, what kind of story is this even?

So if Humanity does manage to successfully get away, would Celestia be able to go after them and hunt them down?

As originally envisioned (and I do hope to return to it someday), The View Over Atlantis was supposed to have a couple of sub-plots with this theme. The Chinese were supposed to be building Orion type nuclear rockets with the goal of establishing a colony on Mars, and the AIs are supposed to already have a base on the Moon. However, in Book One (which is as far as I've written) these were barely-if-at-all mentioned. Both of them were meant to have some influence on events in Book Two, if I ever get around to it and if I stick with the outline.

Update, certain person assumes that people would into space without consideration of things like radiation, supplying oxygen or maintaining resources.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 21