Author Support 2,072 members · 4,384 stories
Comments ( 14 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 14

Since I'm new to creating stories, I wanted to see if anyone would mind helping me with an EaW fanfic.

Equestria at war, it's a mod for hearts of iron 4. It actually got me into the fandom in the first place

Not familiar with either

there are videos of it on youtube if anyone wants to see what's it all about

I think you’ll have far more luck in this group, then.

I did ask for help over there, but I'm just looking for any co-author. you don't have to know the material, just make sure I can avoid dumb mistakes.

Well, you might then consider looking for an editor rather than a co-author. They can make sure that your grammar, spelling and such is fine, plus they’ll keep an eye out for plot holes, scenes that don’t work, et cetera.

thank you for the suggestion, to be honest, I'm willing to take anything.
I'm an idiot sometimes, so it'd be nice for someone to point me in the right direction.

Heh, it's a dangerous world out there, so it's good to not write alone. Some editors always lurk there, so if you are lucky, you'll find someone good. Ideally ask them about their past editing experiences and make sure that they know how to handle all your writing issues.

Also, you might want to look into Grammarly and other spell-checking programs. They cannot beat a human editor, and most are made for correspondence and essays rather than stories, but they are still able to catch a good deal of errors.

I would suggest writing a bunch of short stories to hone your skills.
Then if you feel up to it, write something longer.

I also suggest that you learn the craft, what they call the guidelines/rules in writing.
Why?

If you want your first person stories to sound like they come from a regular person or someone on the street and not an English professor, you will need to bend some of the rules. Grammarly and other apps are going to go nuts, and you will have to override them so you can keep your char's voice. Readers love when chars have their own voice. But if you don't know the rules/guidelines, you won't know when to do it correctly.

The other reason is to CYA, some editors will complain about basic errors if they see them too often. Once in a while is alright, but every sentence, not so much. You don't want to burn out your editors with basic stuff when you might have more complicated issues to deal with.

A good editor can help you see if you haven't written something clearly, or just gloss over important details.
You can ask an editor about certain parts of your story, you're not sure about and hopefully get a good answer.

Long story short, you should go through your doc and find issues.
Fix them.
Use apps, but make sure you agree with what they say.

Then you can give it to an editor.

actually, I go for a more third-person narrative in my writing. Thinking of what each character does as logically as possible. I am using Grammarly so that I can help the editors out a bit, I know human editors are better but this will help them out nonetheless.

Use Grammarly if you wish.
But learn the rules too if you need to deviate from what it wants.

Also if you want some chars to sound authentic, you might have to bend some rules of grammar.

with characters, I do try to make them sound as real as I can.
I just think of what a normal person would say without using Grammarly that much

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 14