Tales of Shadows and Stars 24 members · 7 stories
Comments ( 14 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 14
Angel Midnight
Group Admin

The moment the sun begins to set, the nocturnal bat ponies of Equestria and beyond will begin to stir. Although, like each of us, their daily (or rather, nightly) tasks and activities change, the majority share one thing in common other than the fact that they are nocturnal: they love astronomy in all of its forms. The stars and the moon are the only natural sources of light (and in some communities the only source of light, period), and so hold special importance to bat ponies. But that isn’t the only reason why they show such respect for the moon and stars - far from it.

Just after the Second Rebellion of Grogar, in the years 0586-0590, bat ponies had to work out how to fit into society. Few of them had willingly joined Grogar, but were treated as though they had done so, cast out of society, or worse, facing verbal and physical abuse from other ponies. This escalated to a point where lynchings of bat ponies were taking place, and so it was decided that it was unsafe to stay in the already established towns of Equestria, leading to the migration of bat ponies to locations such as the ancient White Tail Woods in what is now north-west Equestria, the Hollow Shades to the north-east, and the Southern Caverns in the Badlands.

However, before they left, there was one pony who saw them for who they were, the scared ponies fleeing the persecution of a society that was still recovering from centuries of fear and distrust: Princess Luna. In her youth, the princess was much more vocal about the issues that mattered to her, and although she too was disliked by some due to her relentless nature on the battlefield, she was respected and shared her views with the public. One of those issues was that of bat ponies and their rights as fellow citizens of Equestria.

She was largely outspoken and ignored, but as she visited the new bat pony communities and helped them get back on their hooves with government funding, they recognised and appreciated her efforts. When their communities began to not only survive but thrive, they vowed to never forget everything they did for her. And that vow stands to this day.

Luna, despite not being a bat pony herself, became known as the Mother Bat as she cared for them so much. Various celebrations have now been dedicated to honouring her and thanking her for her kindness and generosity during hard times. They of all ponies appreciate the hard work she puts into creating such a beautiful sky each night; the show is mainly for them as they are the only ones awake to see it. As well as this, most bat ponies have sworn their loyalty to her, promising to help her should times ever get tough. (A promise that they kept when she was captured by King Sombra, and when she transformed into Nightmare Moon. On both occasions, they fought on her side.)

So, that is a little about the reasons for the close connections between Princess Luna and the bat pony communities of Equestria. I hope you enjoyed it!

~ Angel

Angel Midnight
Group Admin

BAT-tober Day 2. More lore, more batpones. :) Now I just have to work out what to put in a character profile for Moonlight.

looking forward to it

Angel Midnight
Group Admin

I want to do it like a Wiki Fandom page without the spoilers. But when it gets to describing her personality... How do I describe her?

well, i would say that depends on how you had it in mind, like detailed, or just a general description?

Angel Midnight
Group Admin

Probably just a general description.

okay then i would suggest to write what he traits are like the merciful nature she showed towards Fletcher not wanting to hurt him

Angel Midnight
Group Admin

There's that. And then there's her... negative traits.

of course. If you like, i could give you an example how I would write it

Angel Midnight
Group Admin

If you could PM it to me, that'd be great.

done, its only a short example but should do it

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 14