The Musical Theatre Group 26 members · 4 stories
Comments ( 25 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 25
Dramamaster829
Group Admin

To think I saw this musical on the Disney+ streaming service. They even had an instrumental from one of the songs during that one scene of 'In the Heights'.

Next thing you know, 'Hamilton' suddenly gets a film adaptation too.

sunsetshimmer_13
Group Admin

Is actually thinking of making a Hamilton parody with this

Also I think Hamilton might be tough to stick the landing mostly cuz it’s a sung thru musical

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

'Les Miserables' was mostly a sing-thru musical and somehow they managed to pull off the recent adaptation.

When you say a parody of the musical featuring MLP, we're talking 'slightly' altered lyrics?

sunsetshimmer_13
Group Admin

True but some sung thru musicals like RENT or maybe Cats 2019 ditches that libretto format for a film adaptation. And to admit they did good but the film adaptation for RENT has flaws trying to put things in the right place. (Yet I’m a RENT head lol) I heard that some considers Les Mis 2012 to be a hit n miss somehow despite being critically acclaimed

And yes I’m writing parody lyrics so I’ll try to alter as much as I can

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Yeah... I know what you mean. I saw 'Rent' too. Heck I was in the high school version of 'Rent' (Don't ask me how we pulled it off). I hoped to play either Mark or Roger... but I got casted as Joanne's father (Then again, my Drama teacher was 'notorious' for playing favorites). Least they got most of the original cast involved for 'Rent' whereas Cats mainly focused on bringing in big name actors (Which sometimes works given they 'are' talented, but other casting choices you're like... what the hell were they thinking?).

sunsetshimmer_13
Group Admin

Damn you lucky. I was hoping to be Mark or Roger too. But alas my high school only does short plays or scenes. I’m getting to college soon so hopefully I can hit on theatre school.

I’m glad they had most of the original cast in RENT too btw. Tho I have suggestions on how it could enhance scenes maybe. They killed it in La Vie Boheme A & B.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Oh absolutely! I will admit this part was still funny:

"So that's five misso soups, four seaweed salad, three soyburger dinner, two tofu dog platter, and one pasta with meatless balls..."

"Ew..."

I can imagine Twilight and the girls would be okay with this given they are vegetarian.

sunsetshimmer_13
Group Admin

Lol plz this is the most iconic line I’ve ever heard.

“...To faggots, lezzies, dykes... cross dressers too!

Reappropriating slurs for their celebration of different people in cultures just to stick it to the haters.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

I will admit some of the words would make me very uncomfortable (Especially the 'F' word). But for the sake of that portion of the show... yeah I get what they were trying to say.

sunsetshimmer_13
Group Admin

I love how the gay community reappropriate it and take those words for themselves even when it insults them. I can respect that.

(PS I censored in the edit I was just saying them in demonstration)

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Thank you.

In a way that's kind of like at times when I insult myself in some of my comments. If I'm the one saying that stuff before anyone else, then when someone else says it... it doesn't really hurt because I already heard it.

sunsetshimmer_13
Group Admin

Cool.

Usually I like it when songs like La Vie Boheme or Rent were polish to a perfection but when I heard the obc recording it was so raw and it fascinates me to another level because of how much it evolves.

Some is said for the Miranda musicals like In The Heights.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Sometimes, you can't really beat the songs done by the OBC. With a few exceptions depending on when it's done right. I did not like Russell Crowe's singing in 'Les Miserables', but I appreciate the fact he could act the part.

Now that I hear rumors that 'Wicked' is getting a film adaptation, I'm not going to lie I'm a little nervous.

sunsetshimmer_13
Group Admin

True that

Russell was rough around the edges in Les Mis. Tho I think he did great in The Confrontation number

Honestly I’m more nervous on the tick, tick... BOOM film adaptation

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

I've never really heard of that musical so if I see it, I'm not going to know if it's on par with the original musical because I never saw it. Never even did it in community theater (And I haven't done a play or musical since my community theater group decided to bring more 'professional' actors and actually 'pay' those guys). Makes me think:

'What the hell have I been doing all this time?'

I show up for rehearsal, I read my lines, I get my costumes ready, I do the directions... how is that not professional?

sunsetshimmer_13
Group Admin

Well if you remember RENT then there’s another musical Jonathan Larson created. After his passing someone recreated his solo piece into a musical that is a three actor performance. It premiered Off Broadway in 2001

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

According to the research, Lin-Manuel Mirandez is having another swing at the director's chair with this project (Unless he leaves due to creative differences). Maybe this movie will surprise us.

sunsetshimmer_13
Group Admin

I believe in Miranda

Maybe this will be better than the RENT film adaptation

There’s also Dear Evan Hansen adaptation and a remake of the 1961 adaptation of West Side Story

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

I actually saw the trailers for both those movie. And while I have seen the shows before and going in I'm already going to know what to expect, it'll be interesting with the directions they decide to do with the shows most of us already know. For me, I think 'Dear Evan Hansen' really got to me the most because I feel it's more relatable given our own modern issues. And while I do think there is some strain amongst society as 'West Side Story' has told us for year, it's a musical that's been done so many times in different ways despite the fact they got Spielberg doing this.

I feel based on a flip of a coin, it's likely to land where 'Dear Evan Hansen' is. I practically wrote a 'fan trailer' on this using the MLP cast in the event I could convince Mr. ExtremeEnigma02 to use this for the 'Cinematic Adventures' series.

sunsetshimmer_13
Group Admin

I like how Ben Platt is reprising his originated role too

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Folks complain that he's probably too old to portray the role he originated and I'm like,

"Guys... he's in his late twenties. It's not 'that' old!'

Besides, while there have been 'other' actors who portrayed Evan Hansen. But I do believe Platt is best suited for the role given he plays the social anxiety aspect very well.

sunsetshimmer_13
Group Admin

I mean late twenties almost thirty and that’s “old”

Not to mention he still looks the exact same to when he was on Broadway

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

*Paused* Ouch... you're talking to a guy who'll be turning thirty in amount a couple months.

sunsetshimmer_13
Group Admin

I mean still:twilightsheepish:

Just shave off the beard and he still looks the part

Speaking of which I still remember that Hamilton x Dear Evan Hansen mash up

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 25