Equinox 84 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1
Recon777
Group Admin

Okay, so there's a bit of an unavoidable conundrum when it comes to Flurry in Time because of where it sits in the Equinox saga.

See, FIT is not the start of the story. It's closer to 75% through it in terms of planned stories to write. It's really the beginning of the end-game phase of the saga. For perspective, FiT takes place only six years before the entire saga's climax, compared to a 145,000 year timeline.

As a result of this, a lot of stuff shows up, particularly in the final chapter, which the reader ought to be exposed to already, but because FIT is the first story we've managed to actually publish, we've inadvertently put the readers in a pickle of sorts.

Apologies for that.

The main reason for all of this awkwardness is because we already made the draft of FIT before we decided to go independent of MLP. The draft was made in 2018 if I recall, and it was 2019 that we did the Exodus project, where we worked for six months solid trying to come up with our own content which replaces the gap left by MLP.

Once we were ready to roll with Exodus, we talked about the FIT draft that was sitting on the shelf. We made the decision to publish it as is, meaning in the MLP format and presented it as an introduction rather than a later chapter of the saga. We began publishing for real and then realized we had our hands on a story that really deserved to be prettied up. So we spent all that time rewriting the chapters and adding content to flesh things out and make them fit our current vision for the universe.

Problem is, the story ended up with too much content, especially in the final chapter. Part of that is my fault for wanting to leave the MLP fan base (you guys) with answers to a lot of things, rather than leaving you hanging.

Now granted all that stuff you see in the final chapter really does happen and really is an important kick-off for the rest of the saga. And if FIT was not the first story, it would not have felt so overwhelming like "why am I just now hearing about the Alcora/Windigo war in the final chapter??". The foreshadowing to all these things actually belongs before FIT takes place. Then when FIT happens, the reader will be getting some very satisfying tie-ins to a lot of ongoing threads.

So I hope you can forgive us for what ended up being an unavoidable and inelegant presentation in the context of an opening story. The MLP version of Flurry in Time was put into a squeeze because we're not staying with MLP. But we want to stay with you guys, the fans. When we develop and write the saga proper, eventually FIT will be converted. It shouldn't be too hard by then, mostly just a few name changes and also bumping some of the things into side stories.

Speaking of side stories, one of the things we're planning on changing going forward is no more long stories. We want to present the saga as a long series of short interconnected stories that each have their own plot that gets resolved at the end, but also leaves ties to adjacent stories. Kind of like a television series.

Anyway, I felt I should mention this because it's clear we messed up just a bit due to the constraints.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1