Reviewers' Mansion 284 members · 653 stories
Comments ( 3 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 3
Nailah
Group Admin
ETake my Strength
Octavia visits her childhood home for the last time.
mushroompone · 2.7k words  ·  39  1 · 578 views

Summary: Octavia visits her childhood home for the last time.

Initial thoughts: This is a story about change, and the emotions, and empathy we feel from it. Things in life are always changing, change is constant. And yet, this story reminds us that it is important to remember where you came from, so that you are able to move forward in your own life. The message is very well written, and shown through Octavia as she has a discussion with a friend she thought was long gone from her mind. I enjoyed the fact of how the message was demostrated, showing both strength and admittedly a bit of sadness but the message was very clear and thought out, and overall I find it very difficult to find issues with this story.

Score: 10/10

Heart of the story: The heart of this story is in it's message/moral. Every story usually has one, but I really appriciated the value of the message here. Change is constant. Often, we are ponies can get swept up in not wanting things to change, we fear for the future, and we don't want to move forward. This shows Octavia's progression in the format of memories, as she talks with her imaginary friend Rockhoof and is able to process all the emotions that she had been trying to hide, or ignore. And talking through them, is often the best step in order to move on. However, at first Octavia is stubborn and withdrawn to wanting to talk to an imagination of her past, but she ends up getting swept up in the emotions of her past when digging through them, and finally opens up about her feelings. It is quite the emotional aspect, and shows a level of maturity, as well as being a well written story with plenty of characterization.

Score: 10/10

Characterization: Technically, there is only 1 character if you know that Rockhoof is a figment of Octavia's imagination but I feel it's important to discuss both. So let's dive in

Octvavia: Octavia also came across to me as the elequant mare who has her life in order, knows what she wants from it, and is able to succeed through hard work. This story shows all of her strengths. Her stubborness, her pride as a musician and it even shows us, that she does have a weak side, in that she was teased and bullied when she was a filly. Now, I won't get into the aspect of the bullying, but I do admire she made something strong like Rockhoof in order to help console her younger self and be able to fight past the criticisms of her fellow filly and colt's.

Rockhoof: Strong as a rock. Solid as a mountain. Unnerving in his dedication to Octavia. He's wise through the wisdom of his words, but he never denies what he is. He's Octavia's creation. So therefore everything about him, is also indirectly a part of her. His strength, his wisdom, his unnerving dedication to his cause that truly shows how strongly bonded the two are.

Score:10/10

Writing/Grammar: There really isn't much to say here, I couldn't find a single writing/grammar error throughout the entirety of this piece.

Score:10/10

Originality/Execution: I haven't seen a concept like this before, but that doesn't mean it's never been done. However, the creativity to use one of the Pillars of Equestria as Octavia's imaginary friend was a very interesting look at Rockhoof, and also showed the resolve of Octavia's strength and determination. Now, the execution is flawless, every moment, each phrase feels like it's there for a purpose and that emphasis's the message even more.

Score: 10/10/b]

Overall thoughts and feedback: This story amazed me in a multiple ways, and truly it's message is quite empathic, powerful, and full of genuine feelings and encourages the reader to look within themselves.

Final score:10/10

Head pat worthy: Yes

Boop worthy:

Needs work:

To the author:

To the reader:

Notes-
No notes this time, but um
*headpats*

Wow!! I'm honored, Nailah - I was hoping for a high score, but certainly didn't expect one this high!

I'm so glad you enjoyed the story and its message. It's something that I try to write about frequently (change, that is), and I think this piece is really the best I've done to capture that feeling of transition. I'm so happy that it's so effective!!

Thanks again, Nai - this means a lot to me :twilightsmile:

Jarvy Jared
Group Contributor

This is a case where I've actually heard of the story before and meant to give it a read, though I could never quite find the time. I'm glad that it serves itself well! I'll definitely be checking it out for myself.

Kudos for another great review! :raritywink:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 3