Vile Villain, Saccharine Show 7 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1

Since this year means it's been three decades since Sonic debuted in the world of video games, I figured I'd post another twofer regarding two of the darkest incarnations of Sonic's archenemy, Dr. Eggman, or Robotnik as us Americans refer to him as.

We'll start with the Jim Cummings version from the Saturday morning cartoon that aired on, well, Saturday mornings, that led to it being nicknamed Sonic SatAM.

Because the show aired alongside a weekday cartoon also starring Sonic with a much more comical and inept Robotnik, many viewers were seriously taken aback by the more serious and scarier looking Robotnik, complete with Cummings providing the raspy voice.

One clip from the above video contains an exchange that Robotnik and his nephew Snively have that would normaly sound cheesey, but Cummings and Charlie Adler make it sound truly menacing:

Robotnik: Snively, what color is my heart?
(Robotnik opens his huge mouth, that somehow has 5 uvulas inside, brings it close to his nephew's tiny head.
Snively:Understandably terrified I don't see a heart, sir.
Robotnik Exactly.

Heck, I'm in my twenties, and one episode had Robotnik speaking with my knees shaking. Anyway, in the show's second season, Robotnik kinda became less of VV, with his voice losing its echo, his defeats becoming more comical, yet still leaving an impact; the aforementioned exchange came from that seaso.

Two final things of note: His goal of turning everyone into robots is similar to the villain from Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric, and the one thing that separates him from all but a select few incarnations? He actually wins.

In 2019, the first trailer for the Sonic movie came out, and one thing that many fans agreed on was that it was pretty bad, the God awful design of Sonic being of the standouts. The other standout? Jim Carrey as Dr. Robotnik.

His hammy performance was said to be the saving grace of the film, had it come out that way. But luckily, Paramount pulled the Uno reverse card of 2019, and the following year, released a second trailer that garnered complete 180 reactions. But enough about the film.

I consider this version of Robotnik to be a composite character of the Cummings and Long John Baldry versions, being threatening and hilarious at the same time. Here are a few examples.

This clip establishes what kind of guy Robotnik is, and he clearly lives up, if not exceeds, the expectations we get from comments from the Joint Chiefs of Staff, especially Navy Robotnik. I still think Bennington was subtly trying not to laugh, though.

One of the funniest scenes in the movie, Robotnik bounces back and forth, from being a comical dick to threatening Tom menacingly to screaming high pitch like at the sight of Dewey Duck Sonic.

The other funniest scene shows Carrey having the time of his life improvising, making competition for Chris Pratt and Joaquin Phoenix, (I like to think that one bit where Carrey smiles after restoring power is him thinking "I still got it,") and preparing the "prototype" in a dark tone.

Spoilers: [spoilers]Sonic and Tom send Robotnik to a planet of nothing but mushrooms and when we last see him, it's implied that he's been there awhile so naturally we expect some sort of silly isolation craze from Carrey. While we do get that, it's not in the way we expect. This clip ends on a sinister note, with Carrey sometimes doing an impersonation of Mike Pollock, and acting crazy in a way that's less comical and more intimidating.[/spoilers]

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1