The Insane Creators Guild 640 members · 2,281 stories
Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6
MellowSoul
Group Contributor

I've been with the fandom for about half my life at this point. Got involved when I was 14. I'm 26 now, and the internet's all but moved on. For those wondering what the deal is and why I'm writing this, I've been working on a fic crossing Gen 4 over with my own original story, Dragon of Grace. It's a dark fantasy novel with strong action horror and RPG influences. The characters and story possess something of an underground aesthetic combining all sorts of cultural and philosophical ideologies into a grand narrative. The core themes as it progresses transform into concepts surrounding forgiveness, redemption, and appreciation for the good in life. Back in the day during the 2000s and early 2010s era, I feel like it would've lined up perfectly with what the internet was at the time with all the rock music and pop culture references. Even with all the dark themes tackled throughout, there was a light at the end where people felt like things would be okay somehow. I believe It could've been its own online phenomenon with fanmade works like other popular fics during the fandom's history. I'm kind of sad I didn't think of it until it was too late. It's not about the recognition or wanting attention personally. I just wanted to revitalize a spirit that seems to have been lost in recent years. Unfortunately, I was an idiot and focused on the wrong things. Even though I've changed course, it's not relevant to what society is anymore. I'm a product of a dated era that will likely never return - not in the same way like it was before. I missed out on a huge opportunity to leave a lasting impact in the digital sphere. It sucks to admit, but I'll see the story through regardless. There's always a chance I could be proven wrong, but I won't know unless I try, right? Maybe the MLP community will make a final resurgence before it fades away entirely. I knew it wouldn't last forever, but if and when it goes out, I want it to go out swingin'. Maybe I'm overthinking it, but only time'll tell. Fingers crossed it works out somehow.

I think they are still around. I just don’t think they are as crazy as making content back in the hey day. Currently I am trying to write and MLP GEN 5 and Rise TMNT crossover fic. We can still make content ourselves. Just need to know where to look.

MellowSoul
Group Contributor

Back in the day there was a good chance if your fic was on here, people would make art, music, animations, or something else entertaining based off of it. Nowadays, the site's lost a lot of traction. Even if I manage to complete the story, there's a good chance no one will notice at all. The only thing helping me stick with it now is believing in what I write. I believe there can be hope, but we have to make that choice collectively. With the state of the world these days, there's a strong possibility what I envision is nothing more than a pipe dream, but if I don't try, who else will, ya know?

I know the feeling man. While the site may not be busy there are still cons. I hear they are still going strong as far as I am aware.

MellowSoul
Group Contributor

That's cool at least. It's somethin'.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6