Browser Ponies 13 members · 9 stories
Comments ( 13 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 13
Solarfollow
Group Admin

We have four members now. Seems appropriate that our first topic of conversation should be: What browser do you use?

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

I usually use Chrome. At work, I also use Internet Explorer.

I used to use Firefox, and I may go back at some point (The browser favorite syncing tends to keep me on Chrome). I also used Firefox when it was named Firebird, and even Phoenix. I've used the Tor Browser variant of Firefox before, too.

I've used both the original Opera and the version based on Chrome, as well as Safari.

A long time ago, I used iCab for a while. I also used to use Netscape.

I've used Edge, Links2, Dillo, Midori and K-Meleon before briefly, and probably others I'm not thinking of...

--Sweetie Belle

Solarfollow
Group Admin

No offence, but I didn't expect you to have even heard of Opera. I invited you here because I wanted a second admin for the group, I didn't know you were a browser connoisseur.

Edit: Even I haven't heard of some of those browsers!

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

I've had a lot of computers through the years, and I've tried out a lot of things on 'em, including browsers.

I tried out Opera as sort of the main other browser. Think I ultimately liked Firefox better at the time on my computer, though for a while I had Opera and Opera Mini on my phone. I did also figure I'd try out Safari on Windows when I saw it'd been ported, and I did have two or three Macs in the past, though none work any more. iCab was Mac only, in fact, and real lightweight, so I used to run it on an old Mac that couldn't really handle modern browsers.

Links2 is text based. I've set up various different versions of Linux in the past, and on some of the installs, you can end up spending some time in a console, and having a console based browser can be really useful.

Dillo and Midori are both really lightweight browsers, and if you are setting up a very minimal Linux install without much memory, but actually want graphics, they can come in handy. Don't really remember K-Meleon that well, but I think I tried it out over in the Phoenix days.

A lot of this is that I've had a lot of computers, and like setting up Linux on them or in virtual machines as kinda a challenge, though, and sometimes want to see how much I can get working on, say, the old eeePC 701 in the closet...

--Sweetie Belle

Solarfollow
Group Admin

To answer my own question: I use Vivaldi. I like the features and customizability. Before Vivaldi, I used Opera for the same reason.

Vivaldi was the result of a schism in Opera: The Opera company removed most of the features and customizability (they've since somewhat backtracked on that), so the founder left the company and created Vivaldi.

I've tried quite a few other browsers. But Opera/Vivaldi has been my main browser since I was a child. I've never seen a browser that can compare, in terms of features and customizability.

Solarfollow
Group Admin

I used to use Firefox, and I may go back at some point (The browser favorite syncing tends to keep me on Chrome).

Firefox has synchronization now. I think all the major browsers do.

I use google chrome all the time. Internet explorer is way too slow.

Solarfollow
Group Admin

Huh. I never noticed Internet Explorer being slow. But I can’t say I use it much, it’s been a very long time since IE was my main browser.

Oh. Well, I used it on a slow computer. Might be that.

Solarfollow
Group Admin

You shouldn't be using Internet Explorer anyway, according to Microsoft:

"Internet Explorer is a compatibility solution. We’re not supporting new web standards for it and, while many sites work fine, developers by and large just aren’t testing for Internet Explorer these days. They’re testing on modern browsers."

In other words: IE isn't designed to work on the modern Internet, some sites won't work right on IE. If your workplace has some site that needs IE, use IE for that site. Otherwise: Use another browser.

Thank you for suggesting this. I espessially like the fact that you waited months to reply.

Solarfollow
Group Admin

I know that you don't use IE, I'm just pointing out that even Microsoft says you shouldn't use it. I don't know what your point is here. Or am I just reading too much into your post?

Well, I don't use internet explorer, as of a few years agol But I still didn't know that.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 13