Accusation Fic Discussion 149 members · 1,561 stories
Comments ( 11 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 11

As we all know, in this episode, Starlight Glimmer is called to Canterlot to solve a friendship problem and easily deciphers that it's between Celestia and Luna. Neither sister appreciates what the other contributes to Equestria or takes notice of the strain playing their part puts on the other. The episode, as always, draws to a conclusion where both sisters have learned their lesson...but that doesn't mean there aren't plenty of accusations to go around.

To start off with, let's speak on Celestia and Luna's conduct that started this entire feud. These two are rulers of a vast country; been alive thousands of years, faced countless enemies and have wisdom that their subjects can hardly ever hope to comprehend. So I can't be the only one that feels like they should be above letting petty squabbles like this fester! Granted; just because they are royalty doesn't absolve them of having emotions and it's in their right to feel whatever they wish to feel. However, that doesn't excuse the fact that they handled this situation in a manner you would expect from children! It shouldn't have taken a mission from the Cutie Map for them to resolve this problem they were having; taking a couple of minutes out of the day and night to see how the other side lives would've solved the predicament in record time! But no. Celestia and Luna chose to harbor grudges against the other, let it fester and hide inside of them instead of actually speaking on how they were feeling!

And the real clincher here? They know what could be a possible outcome to allowing these emotions to run unchecked; Nightmare Moon became reality and it means Daybreaker can too. Equestria could be out one, if not two princesses should both of them ever lose control! Knowing this, however, they still did nothing! It would be all too therapeutic to have somepony, anypony call them out on their behavior.

Now...let's talk about Starlight Glimmer. Once again, Starlight compulsively used her magic against her fellow pony. Only this time, she used it on the rulers of her entire nation! I know I probably sound like a broken record by bringing this up again, but come on! We've seen growth from Starlight, we've seen that there is more to her than just being Twilight's student and begrudgingly doing her lessons. So it is even more inexcusable when she resorts back into her old ways, especially seeing how far she's come! And once again, she just gets away with it! There was no reprimanding, no punishment, no anything that told her what she did was wrong. Yes, Celestia and Luna were less than pleased when she first cast the spell, but this initial bout of annoyance is negated when they tell her it was the right call, after all.

And to those of you that will try to defend her actions by saying it all worked out in the end, I offer this; "the end doesn't justify the means". Yes, her first approach at getting the sisters to talk to one another wasn't working and was even spiraling into dangerous territory, but she still should've continued to try and defuse the situation. Not jump to the immediate response to switching their cutie marks! Like it or not, Starlight gets away with using her magic irresponsibly far more than anybody else on screen; Twilight gets flak for when she uses her magic when it isn't needed, Winter Wrap-Up and Lesson Zero are prime examples of this. Yet, where is Starlight's lecture? Where is her explanation as to why what she did was wrong or why it won't be tolerated? Another factor into this irresponsible use of magic is that other ponies are enabling it! Nothing bad ever happens to her when she decides to use her powers with such reckless abandon, so she must obviously feel like it's okay to continue doing things like this since she hasn't gotten into any real trouble because of it. She needs to be called out and punished to get the point across of "STOP USING YOUR MAGIC RECKLESSLY!"

Last, but not least, let's discuss Twilight's role in this whole dilemma. Starlight's actions are her own, I won't remove myself from that; it was her own conscious choice to use her magic the way she did and she should still suffer ramifications for it. Yet, that doesn't mean Twilight didn't play a role in pushing her into making that choice. We've all seen evidence of this; the main trigger that pushes Starlight back into her old ways is stress and anxiety. But, when she first sees that she is getting called on her own mission, she's more ecstatic than anything! However, Twilight's own neurotic ramblings about how wrong everything can go are what drive Starlight into a near nervous breakdown! So much so that she plays a massive role in the nightmare that Starlight had in the episode! It is unacceptable that she allowed herself to cause her own student so much grief because she couldn't control her own emotions on the situation and didn't stop to think about how she was making Starlight feel. If all she were going to do was criticize Starlight on her actions, push how dire the situation is and put terrible scenarios in her head, she should've never used that spell to "check up on her". And, as is the running theme in the series, she doesn't. even. apologize. Twilight decides to just drag Starlight away to have her give a formal report on everything that happened without so much as an apology to how she herself acted!

That's all I have to say, but please, share your own thoughts and let's have a nice discussion.

Also, there was the fact that Twilight was so blinded by her admiration (idol-worship) of the princesses that she refused to believe that they had flaws and could have a friendship problem

This admiration of her idols also bites her big time at Shadow Play and nearly dooms Equestria as a result.

And Horse Play

I've honestly never seen a pissed off Celestia until that episode

Celestia to Starlight: Forget the moon. I'm about to banish you to f*^king Pluto.

I feel the need to bring up Sisterhooves Social. Remember when Rarity and Sweetie Belle weren't getting along all the way back in season two? That was a much better episode. It's amazing how dependent the writers have gotten on using magic as a plot device instead of developing the story organically. The crystal table, Starlight's swap spell, the dream sequence, and even Twilight's ballerina thing where all completely unnecessary, added nothing, and took time away from character development.

You know when you look at it if you want to, If this is how the ROYAL SISTERS resolve their issues in PUBLIC instead of in PRIVATE, they could always be replaced by these ladies:
:

Then their's Twilight & Starlight, how you look at it either way, here's how one way you could reprimand BOTH of them. I also would utilize this tactic to reprimand her friends, family members & some of the TOWNSFOLK of ponyville for their actions we didn't approve of form previous seasons:

It also spits on the series opener, as it makes the Princesses having learned nothing from over a thousand years apart:flutterrage: The writers really have the audacity to think they deserve slack or deference from the fans? Really?:unsuresweetie:

Despite knowing damn well that that was not the case.

What actually tipped me off about Twilight's unhealthy level of idol worship was when she said, "You just said 'princesses' and 'not the best' in the same sentence."

It's almost as if Twilight (and possibly the whole of Equestria) believes that the Princesses are OP just because they are princesses

Humanity
Group Admin

This scares me.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 11