The Disney Chronicles 134 members · 5 stories
Comments ( 345 )
  • Viewing 201 - 250 of 345

Perhaps, but can we say that the Huns were more brutal than other armies at the time? The Romans, the Chinese, the Ottomans, even the Celtics, were all barbaric in one form or another, but none were more barbaric than the others. If anything, the Huns' brutality simply comes from whoever is threatened by their presence. Even the Mongols, one of the largest empires in recorded history, were considered brutal by China, even though they preferred tribute and willing submission over bloodshed, using it only when those who surrendered later rebelled. And they even had a reverence for culture, to the point that the Razing of Baghdad was later reprimanded by the Khan of the time. Same with the Huns who practiced freedom of religion. Plus... the Huns preferred to use their armies to push the idea of treaties, exchanging land and timely tribute from foreign leaders in exchange for protection.

That said... I doubt Shan Yu was a good Hun since he killed and razed without regard to any pre-existing treaties or truces at the time, giving the Hunnic tribes a bad name and spreading fear for the sake of wanting more. Even though Atilla and his armies were brutal, they only fought as a last resort, any brutality being more or less a strict justice being done for any treaty or agreement being broken. So if anything... it's likely that Shan Yu is a rogue leader, seeking to prove himself the stronger leader than the one of his home at the time.

Jerry Goldsmith also composed the beautiful theme song for Soarin' Over California.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Shan Yu seemed more determined to really prove that he's the most powerful warrior in the country, and having the Emperor down on his knees would solidify himself as the greatest of all time. He didn't care about anything else. He only wanted to prove he 'can' get away with it and nobody could stop him, probably not even his own men (Who are more like loyal dogs).

Celebrities who appeared in Disney films
- Christopher Walken and Meryl Streep made their breakout roles in the 1978 Universal epic war drama film The Deer Hunter, with Robert De Niro and John Cazale in his final role before his death. He plays a troubled Russian American Vietnam vet who becomes lost in Russian roulette. Streep plays the love of Nick and his friend Mike.
- Streep was Cazale's lover at the time and insisted him to play in the film before succumbing to cancer. They filmed his scenes first.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

The Deer Hunter... a Disney movie? That's not how I recall it. But I heard it was a pretty decent flick all the same.

The comment says it is "Universal" as in Universal Pictures.

The Deer Hunter made me cry the first time I saw it. It portrays realistically how war can make your mind into mush. How you'll feel after going back from a war. It also involves lots of Russian roulette as an allegory to a fate by chance; you die or you live, you can't tell. It won Best Picture and earned Walken an Oscar.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

The problem is we're so optimistic about doing our part in war, for honor and country as they say. But when we come home after our part, if we are even that 'lucky' to go home to the friends and loved ones we left behind, we do not come back as the same eager young boy scout trained for service. War is a nightmare. You wake up one day and your comrades aren't sharing the same bunk because they were slain by either enemy or friendly fire. You can barely sleep at night without hearing bombs exploding off the horizon nor able to ignore that fear that a sniper is watching, waiting to determine whether they decide to pull the trigger and end your life right there and now. Not to mention the decision of doing what you are instructed, no matter how difficult a task (Such as being made to take the life of someone who's not even a soldier to begin with). You come home, and you are nothing but a shell of your former self. On some occasions, you never return 'whole' both metaphorically... and 'literally'.

MarioBrony
Group Contributor

huh. how about that.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Oh yes, he's composed a ton of music over the years. Many of which are deemed memorable to those who appreciate their songs.

- Miscellaneous Trivia -
* Peter O'Toole, who voiced Ego in Ratatouille, made his breakout role in the Columbia 1962 David Lean epic war film as Lawrence of Arabia, alongside Sir Alec Guinness, who portrayed Obi-Wan Kenobi. The film won Best Picture.
* Andy Devine, the voice of Friar Tuck, appeared in the two western films by John Ford, Paramount's The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance and MGM's How The West Was Won, both starring John Wayne and James Stewart.
* In one version of Steven Spielberg's Close Encounters of the Third Kind, "When You Wish Upon A Star" is heard at the end of the credits, scored by John Williams. It is also heard in the soundtrack.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Only goes to prove just how popular 'When You Wish Upon A Star' truly is. Even branches out away from Disney for this one occasion. Sure some fans were able to catch on mighty quick.

MarioBrony
Group Contributor

How about that.:ajsmug:

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Now I 'have' heard of Lawrence of Arabia. From what I understand, it's one of the most famous motion pictures in cinematic history. I've never actually seen it for myself, but I have heard it's won several awards.

I did. It clocks 4 hours long and I had to sit through the beautiful Arabian landscape and battle sequences. Sir David Lean loved making these kinds of movies, using the natural landscape and elaborate sets and costumes to tell the story, which he loved to stretch for 3 hours. Of course, there's controversy about some characters being cast by white and Latino actors despite portraying them as humanely as possible and less stereotypical. For example, Alec Guiness portrayed Prince Faisal.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Yes, I have heard how long it is. Nowadays, it is very rare for a feature film to even go that long. As far as the choice of casting is concerned, we have to bear in mind it's not as easy as we think it is. We'd want to be authentic and actually try to cast folk in relation to the people the movie portrays. But most of them don't go for it because they believe the scripting has them all wrong and the studios won't hear them out otherwise. At least nowadays, there are at least some people with one representative who works with them as a consultant just so they know they have the culture just right.

Andy Devine also played a small part in It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.

I remember in Aladdin where the Genie was like: Aladdin you just won the heart of the princess, what are you gonna do next? & it plays a very small part of When You Wish Upon A Star in it.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Didn't even think that line was even referenced from that one feature. Then again, Robin Williams has been known to ad-lib in nearly every project he's ever been part of. It's just who he was.

A lot of people have compared Robin Williams to Jonathan Winters, Buddy Hackett, among many others.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

That’s an interesting way of putting it. I’m sure they were all solid talents.

The Walt Disney company

- The Walt Disney Studios is the only one of the Hollywood major studios existing today that is not founded by Jews or anyone of descent. The rest are all founded and run by Jewish men. In fact, because of antisemitism at the time, Jews turned to Hollywood to get stable jobs, and in turn, their presence shaped American culture. Walt is of German and Irish descent.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

That does explain the 'Jewish' joke in 'Family Guy'. And it is true, the company wasn't founded by anyone of that group. Then again, we wouldn't have most of the famous motion pictures we know without them. They even referenced that in 'Ragtime' when a Jewish immigrant made 'Movie Books' and in the show was assumed to be the guy who inspired the 'Little Rascals' stories.

It's true, Walt is that of specific descent, and I do share some German and Irish in me myself. But I know he's a good business. And he's been the helm of the oldest living animation company in history. There's a fact for you. Even says so right here:

Founded on October 16, 1923, by brothers Walt Disney and Roy O. Disney,[1] it is the oldest-running animation studio in the world.

It's no wonder I've heard so many Jewish stereotypes involving Hollywood.
Still, that's very interesting to learn about Walt.

Not to mention. Remember Superman? Batman? Spider-Man? Yep, they were all created by the hand of Jews. Joe Siegel, Joe Shuschter, Bill Finger, Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, they're all Jewish men.

MarioBrony
Group Contributor

how about that.

Hercules
* There is a real Temple of Zeus located at the ancient city of Olympia, where there used to house the grand statue of Zeus, one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World. This temple is now in ruins, the Statue is lost.
* The temple dedicated to the smith God, Hephaestus, in Athens, older than the Parthenon, is the only Greek temple within Greece to stand mostly whole. It was converted to a chruch in the medieval times and stayed that way until it was restored.
* Contrary to popular belief, Hades is not evil in the original myths, being a more passive deity taking his job as the underworld keeper seriously, however flawed he may be.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

The problem with Hades is that he's often associated with evil just because he's position happens to involve keeping track of all the lost souls. The issue is that it's so easy to associate those kinds of characters as evil, just as we are to believe that unicorns are majestic creatures or that the Titanic never really sank despite all the evidence that suggests otherwise. Sometimes we have to wonder if Disney purposely made Hades that kind of evil just for the sake of it being easier for target audiences, or maybe even his story has a bit of tragedy beneath the salesman persona.

MarioBrony
Group Contributor

Well, I think it's the latter. Not only would Hades feel cheated out of ruling the Heavens, even though his Kingdom is much larger and holds more subjects to command (since the dead heavily outnumber of the living) and is technically closest to all the mineral riches of the Earth (making him a very wealthy deity), he would also feel very left out of much reverence to the gods. I mean, people didn't avoid Hades because he was evil. They avoided him because he was the ruler of the dead, and giving reverence to a god associated with death was like a heavy risk on their soul. He never even had an established temple of worship designed and built by Greek architects.

Plus... I imagine that Hades may have also developed some abandonment issues, if we considered how Cronus treated him and his siblings before Zeus saved them. So first his mom Rhea abandons her son to be consumed, then his brother Zeus leaves him in the Underworld without as much as a break or some sign of gratitude for his help in defeating the Titans, and then mankind leaves him out of the worship loop until they head down to join him. I imagine that he didn't start out as evil, but became evil over the millennia that had passed. After all, most villains are not born, they're made.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

In some ways that's true, most villains are 'made' and not 'born'. Though under some circumstances, there's something in one's brain that is broken to the point where some people don't feel empathy for an act society deems wrong. Think of all those serial killers who weren't emotionally or physically abused, yet they still found some enjoyment doing sinister acts. I'm just saying that evil 'can' still happen.

Right... but in Hades' case, he's in with the majority of "made villains", not "born villains".

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Yes, that much is painfully obvious. Which all the more begs the question how are we to address the king in that upcoming 'Wish' movie. Is he a villain who was 'made' to be evil? Or was he always born that way?

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

And yet, some of them ended up being very big names because of it. They came to pursue the American dream, and this is one of their shining moments.

Dinodisneylover1
Group Admin

Holy crud, I never knew. Only John Williams can create beautiful nostalgia. And this movie came long before E.T.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

This only goes to prove that Mr. Williams has quite a resume when it comes to film orchestration. Never doubted just how talented the man is. He's got an ear for atmosphere.

Oliver & Company
* Marlon Brando (yes, the man who brought method acting to cinema and the Godfather Marlon Brando) was offered the role of Sykes, but turned it down thinking it would flop. Robert Loggia took the role instead. Brando, a key player in the Hollywood golden age, is notorious for being difficult to work with and his weight gains, demanding huge sums to get into movies.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Okay, so 'Oliver and Company' did not perform as well as Disney fans were hoping for. And nothing against Robert Loggia, he made for a very intimidating Sykes. But imagine how many people would've flocked to the theater if they learned Marlon Brando had a role in the movie (Yes, it would be because he'd again be portraying a gangster of sorts, but he is a well-known actor). But you're right about one thing: He 'is' difficult to work with. And the weight gaining he had... yeah, hard to miss.

Dinodisneylover1
Group Admin

Wow, would've been cool to see Don Corleone act in a Disney movie. But Robert Loggia did pretty amazing, he even played such a role in some of the Pink Panther movies.

Yeah. Difficult, also quite controversial. At that one Oscars ceremony, he refused to attend it because of racism on American Indians (Brando is involved with the Civil Rights), sending one of them on his behalf. John Wayne, a famous Western star, who is conservative, allegedly tried to sabotage the thing, but security had to make sure he doesn't.

MarioBrony
Group Contributor

seems like today a little.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Is that a fact? I admit I haven't seen the old 'Pink Panther' movies myself. But that does make sense.

Dinodisneylover1
Group Admin

They're absolutely worth to watch. Peter Sellers is hilarious.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

I heard he was hilarious during his time. And I'm sure his movies were funny to watch. Just haven't made the time to check them out.

Oliver & Company

- There was an earlier adaptation to Dickens' novel that was produced at England and distributed by Columbia Pictures in 1968, called Oliver!. Like Disney's interpretation, Oliver! is a musical, however, it is a more direct adaptation of the Oliver Twist story, with changes such as Dodger remaining friends with Oliver or Fagin walking away unpunished with him (he was arrested and hanged in the original), otherwise the story is fundamentally the same. It won some six at the Oscars, including Best Picture.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

I think I know that version. I've seen clips of that movie before, and I even saw the Broadway adaptation when it came to the Broward Center many years ago. 'Food, Glorious Food' to me is considered famous due to that film adaptation (Or at least being a notable scene). I even remembered when they promoted the movie for some high-def DVD release or something.

MarioBrony
Group Contributor

why mess with a classic?

I remember the vultures from Ice Age: The Meltdown sing their own take on the song.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

That's right, and we would eventually recognize where that reference came from. Plus, I've seen how 'gruel' looked in the 1960s adaptation... yeah, definitely more like some hot wet soup than a meal. I felt so bad for those kids. Least the cast of 'Oliver & Company' had it slightly easier, trying to steal hot dogs from a dude who 'hates' animals.

2 coin a phrase from the '96 VHS release: "The classic story of Oliver with a Disney Twist".

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

HAH!!! Word play... totally got that one. Disney would say something that cheesy.

• Viewing 201 - 250 of 345