The Disney Chronicles 134 members · 5 stories
Comments ( 345 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 345
Phantom-Dragon
Group Admin

What the title says.

A list of fun facts about Disney featured films (Modern and Classic) that we’d be interested in knowing, or have a laugh, whichever comes first.
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

• Dopey was originally slated to be a chatterbox, but producers couldn’t find a voice that was quite suitable for the bald dwarf. Rather than outfit him with vocals they thought were wrong, Dopey went silent instead.

Bambi

• Bambi, the cute little deer whose mother got shot and killed, is also the namesake of this other not-officially-recognized complex. People affected by the Bambi Complex are very sentimental and sympathetic towards wildlife and wild animals. They usually have very strong feelings against hunting, controlled fires, and any other inhumane treatment of animals, especially the cute ones like deer.

Cinderella

• Cinderella is Walt Disney’s favorite princess.
  • The transformation of Cinderella’s ruined dress into a beautiful gown befitting for a princess is Walt Disney’s favorite piece of animation.

Sleeping Beauty

• Aurora is on-screen for a total of only 18 minutes with 18 lines throughout Sleeping Beauty. And she’s the titular protagonist.
  • The only lead character in a Disney movie who speaks less than Aurora is Dumbo.
  • Aurora is Latin for “dawn.”
  • Walt Disney’s mother was named Flora.
  • The sound used for dragon Maleficent’s fire breathing was provided by a flamethrower.

Robin Hood

• The Sheriff of Nottingham was originally planned to be drawn as a dim-witted goat (one of the three animals Chernabog created to represent evil). But the idea was scrapped in favor of the traditional evil wolf.
  • Robin Hood is ambidextrous since he can shoot an arrow with both of his hands.
  • Disney's Robin Hood's fox design was modeled after Walt Disney's scrapped concept for Reynard the Fox.
  • I don't know why this is even in Disney's Who's Who book, or why anyone would even be interested in knowing, but Maid Marian's the only female character to wear shoes in the movie. (Okay, so let me get this straight. At the time, if I'm not mistaken, Maid Marian's design was inspired by Snow White animation, Aurora's pink dress – with a touch of lavender, and Cinderella's footwear.....Uh huh.)
  • Due to low budgets and how the development was behind schedule, the Disney animators at the time desperately recycled previous animations to finish the film in time for its deadline.
  • The song "Love sung by Nancy Adams" was also performed in 2009's 20th Century Fox's movie Fantastic Mr. Fox.

Winnie-The-Pooh

• John Fiedler served the longest role as Piglet, voicing him to the mid-2000s where he retired.
  • Piglet was nothing compared to his well-known look in the first Pooh featurette.
  • The featurettes were originally supposed to be a single film, but Walt decided to split them up. Years after his death, the shorts were compiled into one. It wasn't until the 2010s that a true feature length Winnie-The-Pooh film was realized.

The Great Mouse Detective

• Professor Ratigan is a rat in the movie. But in the book the film was based on, He was indeed a mouse!

The Little Mermaid

• Although she is part octopus, Ursula has only six tentacles, like Squidward! (Or as Wildcard25 pointed it out, her actual arms might count as the last two.
  • Ariel's proportions for the movie was based on real-life model Sherri Stoner (Who was also the inspiration for 'Belle' in 'Beauty and the Beast').
  • Sebastian was an original character: he was not in H. C. Andersen's original book.

Beauty and the Beast

• Belle’s name means “beautiful” in French.
  • Originally, the Beast was to bring a slain animal to dine on the table. Finding it too unbecoming, it was scrapped.
  • Gaston's eyes bore a skull and crossbones moments before plunging into his watery grave. The crew wanted to omit this little feature on digital releases, but for some reason it stayed.
  • Gaston eats five dozen eggs each day. That’s around 4,680 calories, just in eggs!
  • It was the first Disney animated film to incorporate the famous Wilhelm Scream, after it was revived in Star Wars.

Mulan

• Mulan’s name means “magnolia” in Mandarin.
  • Mulan’s story is based on the Chinese Legend Of Hua Mulan, in the folk song “The Ballad Of Mulan.”
  • In the Mandarin version of Mulan, Shang’s name is Xiang, which means “to soar.”

Hercules

• Hercules is a Roman name. The majority of the gods go by their Greek names.

Ratatouille

• Remy makes a cameo in WALL-E as a robot dubbed REM-E.

The Princess and the Frog

• Tiana is left-handed.
  • Tiana appears in her debut film as a human for a total of 19 minutes! The other time she appeared as a frog!

Don't you mean... The Little Mermaid for Ursula?

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Here's another 'Little Mermaid' fact to add:

Ariel's proportions for the movie was based on real-life model Sherri Stoner (Who was also the inspiration for 'Belle' in 'Beauty and the Beast').

:rainbowlaugh:
Yeah, right?
Maybe Disney has to change it the name.

Phantom-Dragon
Group Admin

Sorry about that. I was laughing out loud.

Phantom-Dragon
Group Admin

That and both voice actresses Jodi Bensons (Ariel) and Paige O’Hara (Belle) are best friends in real life.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Speaking of 'name changes', Walter Disney's original moniker was d'lsigny, an attempt to show his French roots but it didn't quite have that ring to it (But one can see where it lent Paris-set animations like 'The Aristocats' and 'Ratatouille').

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Which begs the question if 'Ariel' and 'Belle' would make for best friends if they should meet during 'The Disney Chronicles'. Now granted this has been done in several Disney fanfic material long before 'The Disney Chronicles' and a big example came from talking2myself fanfiction 'The Great Disney Adventure' series. REALLY great read by the way; among my favorite fanfics of all time.

Wildcard25
Group Contributor

For Sleeping beauty yet that was kinda awkward that for the movie's Princess she had so little time and so little lines. And yet the Disney Franchise still cashes in on her design and such for merchandise.

And yeah about Dumbo being the only one with lesser lines. Though he's still a baby so he gets a pass.

For Ursula. She may have six tentacles, but perhaps her actual arms qualify as the last two in place of tentacles

Some of my fun facts:

Winnie-The-Pooh
*John Fiedler served the longest role as Piglet, voicing him to the mid-2000s where he retired.
*Piglet was nothing compared to his well-known look in the first Pooh featurette.
*The featurettes were originally supposed to be a single film, but Walt decided to split them up. Years after his death, the shorts were compiled into one. It wasn't until the 2010s that a true feature length Winnie-The-Pooh film was realized.

Beauty and the Beast
*Originally, the Beast was to bring a slain animal to dine on the table. Finding it too unbecoming, it was scrapped.
*Gaston's eyes bore a skull and crossbones moments before plunging into his watery grave. The crew wanted to omit this little feature on digital releases, but for some reason it stayed.
*It was the first Disney animated film to incorporate the famous Wilhelm Scream, after it was revived in Star Wars.

Another Little Mermaid
*Sebastian was an original character: he was not in H. C. Andersen's original book.

Really?!
That's very interesting. :pinkiegasp:

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

The funny thing about 'He's Got It All Worked Out' was that while the song didn't make it into the movie, it would instead be used as a song in the 'junior' version of 'The Lion King' musical. My sister did that song with another actress when she played Timon while I was Scar that year. The show also kept the 'Hakuna Matata' song as well, but in order to use 'He's Got It All Worked Out' it had to happen 'before' the part where they discover the unconscious Simba. Does it make sense? Maybe not. But it was in the official script, we work with what we get.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Going on with 'The Little Mermaid' there is 'one' notable fact to consider when the story goes into production: As tricky as ever, the Disney animators snuck in Goofy, Mickey and Donald Duck amongst the audience at King Triton's concert during the opening scenes. Now this wouldn't be the first time they've done so, but it's become rather common as more films were made in the 'Walt Disney Animation Studios' department (Mostly). Now this might not mean much of anything going into the story when we get there, but it's definitely one of those 'blink and you'll miss it' moments. Provided you don't hurt your eyes trying to find this while the movie is playing.

Dinodisneylover1
Group Admin

• The sound used for dragon Maleficent’s fire breathing was provided by a flamethrower.

Well, I'll be. That's very impressive.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

I never would've thought of that. But then, I only heard a flamethrower once when some YouTube guy was doing a demonstration with how a flamethrower actually works (Not like in the movies or video games).

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Oh and going back on those two again, Benson, O'Hara and even Judy Kuhn (Whom many will remember as the singing voice for 'Pocahontas') would have cameos in that 'Enchanted' movie.

Dinodisneylover1
Group Admin

Cool. Ariel and Belle as besties. Imagine that.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Pretty neat right? A friend of mine once tried to start a little story combining elements of both 'Beauty and the Beast' and 'The Little Mermaid' in an attempt to create an original romantic story. Unfortunately... She never made it passed the first chapter but boy it REALLY needed some grammar adjustment. I had already sent a revised set of paragraphs but I think I accidentally made the length look as though it should take more than one chapter.

Then again, it's kind of a habit of hers. She always starts something, but never goes any farther than a chapter or two. Which is a shame because they are very unique ideas and I'd like to see them move forward.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

You tell her that and I'm going to enjoy watching you bash you so hard you'll have to type with your eyes. Hmm...

Anyways, as far as Disney Facts go...

Many of the early Disney films are in the mother-free zone including The Jungle Book, Pinocchio, and, for obvious reasons, Bambi. As a matter of fact, it's been said it all started following the success of 'Snow White' when Walt Disney bought a house for his parents but then when Flora Disney, his mother, died from carbon monoxide poisoning due to a faulty heating system he felt guilty over that death ever since.

Phantom-Dragon
Group Admin

Oh that’s sad.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

So in a way, you can see why in most movies the mother is either absent or she dies midway through the movie (Sometimes at the start). They'd change it up after a while, sometimes the parents live (Both of them), other times it's just the father who dies, and other times... Both parents meet a tragic end. It's rather sad really but what really got it's start is the loss of Walt's mother.

Phantom-Dragon
Group Admin

Dumbo

• Mrs. Jumbo’s eyes are blue. But in real life, all elephants have brown eyes!
  • Dumbo’s real name is Jumbo Jr.
Phantom-Dragon
Group Admin

Peter Pan

• Captain Hook was used to model for Dr. Facilier!

The Jungle Book

• The animation of Mowgli was used for inspiration when animating Aladdin.
Phantom-Dragon
Group Admin

The Little Mermaid

• Ariel’s original companion was a dolphin.
Phantom-Dragon
Group Admin

Donald Duck’s middle name is Fauntleroy.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Oh yeah, I remember that being barely mentioned in the movie. But the one time Mrs. J spoke, she wanted to name her son 'Jumbo' and the 'Dumbo' name only came up because apparently it's an insult. If someone called my kid that way, I'd slam the door in their face too... I would never invite them to my dinner parties even if they were my colleagues at work.

I guess you can say in some crazy way that 'maybe' there is some ancestry of some form? I know that's a bit of a stretch but if we think of it from a metaphorical perspective it almost sounds likely.

A Dolphin for a companion huh? Well, too bad that never made it passed the drawing board. Though you have to wonder what kind of character traits this being could've had. Either it could've been male or female. I don't maybe a Dolphin character would have better luck in a very distant future Disney movie. It certainly wasn't going to be in 'Moana' that's for sure.

Funny enough, up until that movie, I haven't heard 'Moana' since 'Moolah Beach' aired eighteen years ago.

Phantom-Dragon
Group Admin

The Aristocats

• Marie starred in her own Japanese music video called “Disney Marie—Walk in Paris.”
Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Now that I did not know about. What I did know, however, was that Disneytoon Studios would've had Marie in a more heavily centered role in an 'Aristocats 2' movie where it takes place on a boat. But sadly that movie never came into fruition once that got scrapped from the planning stage.

Phantom-Dragon
Group Admin

Robin Hood

• The Sheriff of Nottingham was originally planned to be drawn as a dim-witted goat (one of the three animals Chernabog created to represent evil). But the idea was scrapped in favor of the traditional evil wolf.
  • Robin Hood is ambidextrous since he can shoot an arrow with both of his hands.
  • Disney's Robin Hood's fox design was modeled after Walt Disney's scrapped concept for Reynard the Fox.
  • I don't know why this is even in Disney's Who's Who book, or why anyone would even be interested in knowing, but Maid Marian's the only female character to wear shoes in the movie. (Okay, so let me get this straight. At the time, if I'm not mistaken, Maid Marian's design was inspired by Snow White animation, Aurora's pink dress – with a touch of lavender, and Cinderella's footwear.....Uh huh.)
  • Due to low budgets and how the development was behind schedule, the Disney animators at the time desperately recycled previous animations to finish the film in time for its deadline.

The Black Cauldron

• The Horned King wasn't originally intended to be the main villain. Like in the book, he was meant to be the champion of the true villain, Arawan, the Black Cauldron's spirit. However, Arawan was scrapped because the animators fancied the Horned King better because he has horns like Maleficent and Chernabog. Of course, you can see how that worked out for the movie.
Dramamaster829
Group Admin

It's not like I have any problems involving the Horned King, in some ways he is a terrifying villain. Besides his overall design, the fact that he's portrayed by the late talented John Hurt makes him in a sense memorable and he is a villain who holds ambitions for world conquest. But the one fact you said as to 'why' they chose him to be the villain is kind of troubling. Just as I would say that it's not a 'crown' or a pair of wings that makes Twilight Sparkle a princess, horns do not define what makes a villain. Not even close.

A villain, especially the main ones, are meant to represent the mirror image of a hero. They tread a near similar path and they have near identical ambitions, but the paths they take contrast ever so. Whereas Taran wanted to be a hero to serve as an escape from his status as a pig-keeper to go off on great adventures like all the knights who went to war, The Horned King wanted absolute power so he can take over an entire country and prove that his power is not one to be challenged. But the thing with The Horned King is that he usually doesn't confront the issues himself like Taran does, usually The Horned King has his lackeys doing most of the work and kind of looms around in the shadows until he decides to make an appearance. And when he finally has his undead army marching out of the castle gates, we don't even get to see what effects they have on any nearby villages in Prydain (There was a scene that shows when mortals get in contact with them, but it was deleted for being too gruesome).

In some ways, it's why it would've been better had Arawn (Or Arawan depending on how the name is spelt) would've served as the better villain. But we'd be lucky if he even gets created solely for a new arc in 'The Disney Chronicles' since we don't exactly have an arc in the series apart from the ponies learning about how important the book is (At least as it's acknowledged in 'Fantasia').

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

I think I covered "most" of that information on one of my previous threads, not all of it but most. Least as much crap as we get towards the 'MOJO' videos, most of the facts they list are based off a fan vote before they actually upload their videos.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Frozen
1. Anna (Frozen) is the first Disney princess to have a duet with a villain (Course we wouldn't have known at the beginning).

2. Elsa was supposed to be the villain in 'Frozen', but the producers loved 'Let It Go' so much as an empowering anthem they completely changed her storyline.

The Lion King
1. In 'The Lion King', "Can You Feel The Love Tonight" was originally supposed to be performed by Timon and Pumbaa.

2. Disney was actually sued by a hyena biologist for portraying the hyenas as villains in 'The Lion King'.

The Jungle Book

1. The Beatles almost had roles in a Disney movie. In 'The Jungle Book', they were meant to be the voices of the vultures but they turned it down.

Pocahontas

1. Pocahontas is the only Disney princess with a tattoo.

The Little Mermaid or Hercules
Ariel is the daughter of Triton, who is the son of Poseidon. Poseidon is the brother of Zeus, who is the father to Hercules. That would mean under a crazy turn of events... Ariel and Hercules would've been related. (I don't know which movie would this fact be put in).

Oliver and Company

Marlon Brando, recognized as Stanley Kowalski in A Streetcar Named Desire and Vito Corleone of The Godfather, was originally approached to voice Bill Sykes. Robert Loggia was approached only after Brando turned it down, believing that the movie would never find a wide audience.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

A shame Marlon Brando decided he didn't want to do the part. Nothing against Robert Loggia, he did a decent job making Sykes sadistic and heartless. True 'Oliver & Company' didn't exactly achieve the same level of success as the features in the Renaissance but for what it was worth the film did get somewhat of a 'following' from fans. Probably would've done a better job had Marlon agreed to take the part. Now he's just lucky Disney makes a mention of one of his characters in a later movie.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Aladdin
Aladdin originally had a mother who was going to appear in the film, but her character was deleted to streamline the story. There was even a song called "Proud of Your Boy" sung by Aladdin about his mother. The song would then be added to the 'Broadway' run along with two reprises, one during the end of the first act and one during the second act.

Patrick Stewart was originally offered the role of Jafar in Aladdin, but had to turn it down because he was filming Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Whenever Aladdin lies, you'll notice the feather on his turban falls in his face.

The Little Mermaid
A deleted scene from The Little Mermaid revealed that in earlier concepts of the film, Ursula was meant to be Triton's sister and Ariel's aunt. This would later be installed during the 'Broadway' version of the show and in some versions was involved in the death of Ariel's mother (I'd know because this was used in our community theater production).

Sebastian from The Little Mermaid almost had a British accent.

Pocahontas
Before Meeko, Pocahontas was supposed to have a talking turkey named Redfeather as a sidekick. He was to be voiced by John Candy, but the character was dropped when the writers decided they wanted the animals in the film to be mute.

The Lion King

• The Lion King was originally going to be titled "King of the Jungle" with the plot centering around the battle between the lions and the baboons with Scar being the baboon's leader and Rafiki as a cheetah.
  • Originally, Nala was going to have a little brother named Mheetu (pronounced ME TOO) but the concept is scrapped in the final film.
  • It took the animators around 3 years to complete the 2 and a half minute stampede sequence most of it consisting of converting computer generated wildebeest into two-dimensional characters.

The Jungle Book

• The original version of the Jungle Book was originally going to be darker but Disney ditched the idea but kept "The Bare Necessities."
  • The animation that was used to create Shere Khan was later used as a reference for the characters in The Lion King including Scar, Mufasa and Simba.

Peter Pan

• Nana was originally going to accompany the Darling children on their trip to Neverland and have a comedic subplot of chasing after Tinkerbell.
  • During development, the filmmakers knew that there would be people that like Captian Hook and decided to not let the character die.

Pinocchio

• The design of Monstro the whale is based on both the sperm whale and the blue whale with Monstro having the body shape and teeth of the former and the color, size, and underbelly of the latter.

I know about Mrs. Jumbo's eyes being blue but when she goes "rogue" after the kids abuse Dumbo, they're blood-red.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

It's ironic because it's kind of like the recent 'Child's Play' movie, just to name an example. When his eyes are just a regular shade of blue, he's on the more friendly, child-like if not slightly confused side. But when his eyes go red... That's when the artificially intelligent doll goes in for the 'kill' and no one is safe (Not even pets... That was a tough scene for me).

Now as for the subject in question, Mrs. Jumbo, it's not knowing if she'd have performed any bodily harm to the children even though they almost got hit with a stack of hay. One of the boys will definitely be scarred for life after that little incident, course it's his own fault that he was teasing the baby elephant and harassing him over his big ears. Mrs. Jumbo was merely doing what any parent would do for their children, to protect them when they feel their threatened in some way.

Hence why it is unwise to mess with creatures who've been around longer than the likes of mankind.

The Black Cauldron

While it is unmentioned, the narrator was voiced by John Huston, who also voiced Gandalf in Rankin-Bass's The Hobbit and The Return of the King, who also worked alongside memorable Disney star Hans Conried, who originally voiced Disney's Captain Hook and Thorin Oakenshield from The Hobbit.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Is that a fact? I actually was not aware of that. Although now that I think about it, I 'did' remember watching that version of 'The Hobbit' when my ex-writing partner and I were putting together a crossover of that movie. And now it's all coming back to me.

That is amazing since I also know Hans Conried provided to voice for Horton the Elephant in the Chuck Jones adaptation of Horton Hears a Who, The Grinch in Halloween is Grinch Night, but he is best known as the voice actor of the dastardly n’er do well, Snidely Whiplash from the Dudley Do Right cartoons.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Now that's a rather old television show, 'Dudley Do Right'. Course I've never seen it nor the movie for that matter. The closest I saw of the Canadian Mountie guy was a water wide at 'Islands of Adventure'.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Anyways Big Mike, it sounds to me like this chap has contributed to much during the animation series during his lifetime. Least we can give him credit for bringing some memorable stars to life.

Phantom-Dragon
Group Admin

You would not believe how picky some people can be. Found this off of TV Tropes.

Robin Hood 1973
The whole film takes place in the 12th century. But:

• The rabbits sing "Happy Birthday to You" – Which isn't written until the 19th century in Louisville, Kentucky.
  • In their first appearance together, Maid Marian and Lady Kluck were playing badminton, which wasn't invited until the 18th century.

Oh well. Maybe some of the ponies can introduce these concepts to the characters. That will patch things up, I guess.

Wildcard25
Group Contributor

The Little Mermaid 3: Ariel's Beginning

• The song Sebastian sings Jump in the Line by Harry Belafonte which wasn't made until 1961.
Phantom-Dragon
Group Admin

Lady and the Tramp

• In the original script, Walt Disney had actually intended on having Trusty killed from being crushed by the dogcatcher's coach. However, Peggy Lee (The VA actress for Darling and Peg) found it too dark and cried about it, demanding that Trusty is saved instead. And so Disney complied, and spared the bloodhound.
Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Well... I'd hate to imagine if they kept the original idea for the remake when that becomes a reality. But honestly, I can't blame Mrs. Lee for not wanting Trusty to be killed. He may be an old soul, but he's always been a good friend to Lady even though he was mighty suspicious of the Tramp. And even though his sense of smell wasn't as strong as it used to be, the fact he gave it his best to try to help when he realized The Tramp 'never' attacked the baby (Instead, tried to save the boy from a rat) this was the one way he and his little buddy could make up for it. Course, we all know a 'broken' leg isn't the only result that comes when being hit by one of those carriages... But I suppose we can let this pass because if I can be honest... I wouldn't want him to die either.

Lady and the Tramp

The laugh from the hyena provided by Dallas McKennon was not only used in the It’s a Small World attraction, but also used as the laugh of Ripper Roo in the first Crash Bandicoot game for the PlayStation 1.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Some people would like to think that despite several movies taking place at a certain era, they take liberties by adding elements into the features under the argument they are 'timeless'. You should see all the modernization they did with 'The Emperor's New Groove' or even how some of the characters acted in 'Dinosaur', especially the Lemurs.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 345