Meadowbrook 137 members · 112 stories
Comments ( 10 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 10
A Man Undercover
Group Admin

Does anyone around here happen to know what Meadowbrook’s dress style was particularly based on?

I know the character was clearly modeled after African Americans from Louisiana, but I don’t know what time period her ensemble was based on or what the clothes look like with the women wearing them.

Any of you guys know the answer?

My best guess is fashions of the early Reconstruction period (about 1865-1868). Meadowbrook also incorporates elements of Cajun fashion, a section of American society known for favouring function over form. This makes sense, given much of Meadowbrook's day job consists of trawling through swamps.

This seems like a close match, though a bit more elaborate than Meadowbrook's dress;

A Man Undercover
Group Admin

Funny thing. At one point, I couldn't help but consider doing a Human X Meadowbrook story, where a male human in Equestria is paired with an anthropomorphic Meadowbrook. However, it's been hard to picture what she would look like fashion-wise.

It also depends on the time period the story occurs in. I get the impression bits of Equestria get stuck in time warps and don't really advance (notice how Ponyville has the feel and operations of an American small town possibly of the Mid-Atlantic given the Pennsylvania Dutch Country styling of the buildings).

Though something fun you could try in a story like that is Meadowbrook abruptly running into changed fashions and trying to update her wardrobe-with potential humerous results.

A Man Undercover
Group Admin

One thing I couldn’t help but envision, with Meadowbrook as an anthro, was her keeping her signature green pleated skirt, only it’d be long enough to where the bottom would stop just above her bottom hooves. Not sure what color the top part of the dress would be, though.

Maybe something like this?

A Man Undercover
Group Admin

What color is the bodice and headband?

Cream. It's a popular colour amongst Cajuns as it reflects heat and is relatively easy to clean.

A Man Undercover
Group Admin

I see.

In that case, the bodice will be cream colored. Unlike in the picture, though, it’ll be sleeveless. Either that or shoulderless.

That makes sense. Swamps are extremely humid, after all.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 10