Mare x Monster 95 members · 75 stories
Comments ( 102 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 102
Robipony
Group Admin

Thought I would try to make a contest for our little group to help encourage creating stories for this category.

Now here are the rules:

1. The story must follow the group rules.
  2. Make sure to put your story in the correct folder. If you have a problem adding stories, try consulting this thread.
  3. The story must have at least 3,000 words. There is no upper limit, however the story does need to be completed by the deadline.
  4. The mare (female pony) and the monster in the story, need to be romantically involved (this doesn't mean however that you have to include clop, in fact you'll probably do better without it).
  5. You will be given a random mare to use in the story, your story must have them as one of the main characters.
  6. Have fun writing.

Deadline: May June 27, 2018

For prizes I will provide the following:
1st Place Winner: I will illustrate your couple (or one of your OCs) and edit it in GIMP (give colors, shadows and all sorts of cool stuff; just check out my DeviantArt).
2nd and 3rd Place Winner(s): I will illustrate your couple, and that will be all.

To participate, please submit a comment saying you want to join, you will then be given a random mare to use in your story. However, I also plan on trying to prevent there from being duplicates, so if I roll the percentiles and I get a repeat, I will simply reroll until a different character is rolled (assuming that I don't have more contestants then I do mares listed). You can have a reroll if you so choose, just remember that you won't get a character another contestant has, unless they decide to reroll or drop out.

After the reroll, the unchosen character returns to the roll list.

When submitting your story to the contest, I would like for you to leave a comment and either provide a link or an embedded link to your story. Once I see it I will add it to a special folder in my library for judging.

Well, that is it. I hope you all enjoy this contest and I hope you all write some awesome stories. :twilightsmile:

I guess I'll join.

Robipony
Group Admin

6391646 I'm glad to hear it. The random roll was a 41, resulting in the mare being Derpy.

I will look forward to seeing your story and the monster you pair her with. You still have 1 Reroll, if you choose to use it. :twilightsmile:

So question, the random garnered mare doesn't have to be the one falling in love right? If so hit me. I'm already have a good concept in mind. XD

Robipony
Group Admin

6391661 I suppose she doesn't have to be. I had originally intended it to be that way, but that was because a lot of the time I do these contest, people sign up only to say they have no ideas. So I thought I would take a page from your book and see if it helped people with gain some ideas.

The roll is 58, which means you have Sassy Saddles.

She doesn't necessarily have to be the mare in love with the monster, but she does need to have a major part in the story (like being a friend or maybe even an antagonist, you decide :raritywink:). As always you have 1 reroll if need be.

Robipony
Group Admin

6391679 Welcome aboard. :pinkiehappy:

The roll is a 15, which means you have Rainbow Dash.

(I'm sure you probably already knows what she looks like, but I figured I would include an image anyway).

I guess I'll give it a shot, though I have a very specific idea already.

Robipony
Group Admin

6392783 And there is nothing wrong with that. :pinkiesmile: The additional mare was merely to help encourage ideas (as participants in my previous contests had some difficulties) so as long as the random mare is a major character in the story is fine (she doesn't have to be the mar falling in love with the monster). :raritywink:

And the random roll is... 83, so here is Tree Hugger.

You have 1 reroll if you so choose to use it. :twilightsmile:

I'm pretty sure I can get some ideas with her. Though, if I decide to reroll, would I have to use the mare that was rerolled or would I have the option to keep my original roll?

Robipony
Group Admin

6392869 You will have the option to keep the original, cuz I'm cool like that.:rainbowlaugh:

Hm. I might have the beginnings of a good idea. I guess I might as well put a horse in the race. Here’s hoping I get a mare that works well with my idea!

Robipony
Group Admin

6392932 We always enjoy it when people put horses in races. Yeah, I couldn't think of anything too clever.

With a roll of 31, you have the mare, Moon Dancer.

Remember if need be you can have a reroll.

That. . . actually could hardly have worked out better.

Robipony
Group Admin

6392939 That's good... right?

Robipony
Group Admin

6392943 Awesome. I'm glad to hear it. :pinkiehappy:

Eh, let's see what rolls!

I don't do so well with random character prompts, but I'm interested in the idea, so let's see who I get. Best Pony has been taken, but there are still plenty of eligible mares...

Robipony
Group Admin

6392991 With a roll of 04, we have Rarity

You have 1 reroll if necessary.

Robipony
Group Admin

6392996 With a roll of 81, we have Sunshine Smiles

You have one reroll if necessary.

---

I am running out of mares, I may need to replace some of the taken ones. :twilightsheepish:

Robipony
Group Admin

Managed to come up with 20 more mares to add to the list. Kind of surprised I missed some.

Basically if I roll a duplicate (a character someone already has), I will roll a D20 and consult the second list.

Good news two of our unmarried (as far as I know) are on the new list, and of course the Nat 20 goes to the best princess.:raritywink:

Robipony
Group Admin

6393236 When it comes to windigos the question isn't so much if they are monster, as it is are they sentient. Since this group isn't meant to be confused the a bestiality group (ewww) you would need to show in your story that the windigo is in fact sentient.

Well here is the roll, with a roll of 85 you have Night Glider.

You have 1 Reroll if you so choose to use it.

...That could work. But out of curiosity, and for clarity, how does the reroll work?

Robipony
Group Admin

6393601 Basically it is something to help in the case the person can't think of another character they have a second option.

Hmm... Let's see my reroll, just for funsies.

Robipony
Group Admin

6393872 With a roll of 58, we have Sassy Saddles, which has already been taken, leading to the new mechanic that allows us to use the second list (what fun!). :rainbowlaugh:

Now with a roll of the D20, we have an 18 giving us, Vapor Trail.

If you can't think of anything to do with her, then don't worry you can keep the original roll instead.

I'll stick with the original, I think. Had a bit of an idea, nothing better fits here.

How are we defining monsters?

Robipony
Group Admin

6393892 Well, in this group we define it as a sentient being that invokes fear and distrust in ponykind (normally anyway). This can include vamponies, wereponies (a pony that transforms into another creature either when "hungry" or when the full moon is out), changelings (though not so much after the whole Thorax King thing), a reanimated corpse (think Frankenstein's monster), an alien or anything you can imagine that fits the bill.

I hope that answers your question. :derpytongue2:

Accidentally sentient clothing is go!

I think I've got a basic concept I can use, but just in case let's see what fate gives me for a second option...

Robipony
Group Admin

6394334 So you want a reroll?

It strikes me that, if one wanted to get creative, any monster we’ve seen in the show could apply here if they were sentient, even if it isn’t the norm. A Timberwolf that’s really a pony that was cursed, a hydra with one exceptionally intelligent head that’s culled the more bestial ones into submission, or perhaps cragodiles are all fully sentient, but instinctually agressive and unfriendly, a thing which one in particular has overcome. The possibilities are endless.

Incidentally, anyone else willing to share what kind of monster they’re gonna be doing? I’m going for my take on an Equestrian lich.

Comment posted by Black Paint deleted Apr 12th, 2018

Just out of curiosity, can I see what my reroll is?

Since there seems to be no downsides, yes. It looks less like a reroll and more "roll two, choose one."

Robipony
Group Admin

6394467 Then that would be perfectly fine. Go for it.:pinkiesmile:

6394481 As long as it is clear that they are sentient and not merely an animal, it would be fine.

Robipony
Group Admin

6394600 With a roll of 73, I give thee... Inky Rose.

This is the only other goth chick of know of in the show, aside from the stuff Fluttershy did recently. :rainbowlaugh:

Robipony
Group Admin

6394757 With a 78, we have Sunshine Smiles... again, really dice. But fear not, since it is a duplicate we then roll a D20, giving us a 12 meaning the mare in question is none other then... Minuette.

Just let me know which one you use, so that I can mark it down on my list.

I think I'll stick with Treehugger.

Well, I've got a working idea with Sunshine Smiles, especially since she doesn't need to be the mare actually in love, I think. So I'll stick with her. ^^

p.s. Can we use the pony that was roled, but not used ?

Robipony
Group Admin

6395065 As I've already mentioned to the others, they just have to be a major character in the story. Whither they are actually the mare that falls in love, is a friend or an antagonist is up to you. :twilightsmile:

no, I mean...

Let's say that one of you gets Fluttershy
they ask to reRoll, and gets A.J.
and pick A.J.

Is FlutterShy back in the roll, or not ?

Robipony
Group Admin

6395098 Yes, Fluttershy would then be back in the roll. :twilightsmile:

K

you should let the others know
so that they can tell you who to put back in the roll

Robipony
Group Admin

I am happy to say we have 13 participants in the contest. Let us hope they all are able to finish their stories in time. :pinkiesmile:

Robipony
Group Admin

6398698 There is not. Just add them to the correct folder and post a link here. Obce I see the story, I will add it to a special bookshelf I made for this contest.

I likes derpy lucky roll imo.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 102