Students of Friendship 368 members · 1,526 stories
Comments ( 8 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 8

Joining just long enough to post this. (Original thread.)

It never quite happened exactly (for some reason), but they came very close, and certainly formed a close bond with the Tree. And looking at the point where they really should have got them (the Season 8 finale) we can make a reasonable deduction as to their Elements.

Is there really not a closer-up shot?

Anyway, if you assume that the auras matching the Mane 6's coat colours isn't a coincidence, then:

Gallus = Magic. A combination that seems odd at first, since griffons don't seem to have any. But if you use my alternate interpretation of it as an Element based in opening one's heart to others, then he would certainly qualify, having recently made the first friends in his life. (And he's had longer to bond with them then Twilight did!)
Yona = Honesty. Like AJ, she almost seems like a shoe-in - does she ever lie? But she does, in the following season, face a test in being herself as opposed to conforming to societal expectations, which fits.
Silverstream = Laughter. Another "obvious" one - she's the lightest hearted (and most airheaded) of the group, and almost impossible to hate. But like Pinkie, she grew up in a loving but stifled environment, where fear was more prevalent then joy - and unlike Pinkie, she only very recently got out.
Smoulder = Loyalty. Well, she certainly has it, even though dragons tend to a more selfish lifestyle - Garble has his band, but older ones seem to live solitarily. And Dash did say she wanted to try being a dragon at some point - and they've both been mistaken for guys. So why not?
Ocellus = Generosity. Well, that she went from all take to all give is part of her species backstory... but I do wonder if she was one of the holdouts who Thorax mentioned in Season 7.
Sandbar = Kindness. Well, he certainly seems like a nice guy - but now I kind of wonder if he always was.* And like Fluttershy, he seems almost more comfortable with non-ponies than with his own kind.

*In case you haven't figured out yet, my personal belief is that Element Bearers are not "naturals", but rather choose to follow a certain principle, even if it isn't always easy.

So what do you think? Would you have sorted them differently?

I alway believe that the Young Six are the third gen elements

It kind of makes sense for gallus to be represent the Elemental Magic even though he does not have any magic at all but I think it's that kind of magic it's kind of like how Star Swirl and Twilight did not have friends or doesn't believe in them at first but then after meeting with the other ponies and creatures they start to realize how friendship is a very important to them

Yeah, that's it precisely! And even Sunset, Starlight and SciTwil have similar realisations.

I've seen several discussions on this subject before and participated in a few myself, but nobody's ever seemed to quite come to a consensus on the matter--there's a lot of good arguments for a whole slew of different interpretations.

In light of how the show's finale addressed it, I've sort've come to the conclusion that what the specific elements the bearers (Young Six or otherwise) represent ultimately doesn't matter, as there are much more than a mere six different elements ever in existence at a time. What matters is that they are used together in harmony and friendship regardless. And frankly that's a message I rather approve of. :twilightsmile:

But if we want to be specific about it anyway, I think your interpretation is as good as any.

7389291 I've seen Smolder as a better fit for generosity. She was the most opposed to attending the school and befriending the other creatures, she didn't think it was worth her time. But she came to realize she was wrong.

I feel like many of Sandbar's biggest tests come from loyalty, not kindness (loyalty to his idols or his new friends, loyalty to the school or loyalty to Yona). And Yona always struck me as the heart of the team, a better fit for kindness (plus I think it kind of works with her being able to talk to spiders like Fluttershy can talk to animals, it could be something every kindness bearer has).

And Ocellus for honesty would be symbolic since deception is what changelings used to be all about.

Hmm... those shuffle round in a set without touching the griffs, don't they? And they do all seem to fit decently...

7389406 Well, Silverstream is the one everyone had pegged from day one, her ending up as anything besides laughter would've been a stretch. And Gallus... well initially everyone thought he'd be more likely to be loyalty and Sandbar friendship, but as Seasons 8 and 9 progressed and we got to know more about Gallus (and less about Sandbar) things changed for Gallus.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 8