Feelings Forum 30 members · 39 stories
Comments ( 3 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 3

After seeing some of the more popular, well-written works on this site, I'm feeling VERY disheartened. And it only pours salt in the wound that I am having terrible writer's block. What should I do?

SudokuBrony
Group Admin

Let the feeling pass. If something comes along you take it! Make that your story.

Accept that you are going to suck. Badly. For a long time.

Everypony does. All the great stories come from authors who spent years, sometimes even decades, sucking. What made their work great is that they studied very hard, and they practiced the craft of writing very hard, for a long time, sucking a little less with each story and character study and vignette. And eventually they failed to suck entirely.

There is no shortcut to good writing. Read a lot (of actual good literature, not fanfic, not pop-culture crap), study a lot (of the rules and techniques of the craft of writing), and write a lot (especially short stories and studies). Do that and you will eventually be a competent writer, possibly a good, or even great one (if you have the brain damage necessary for it).

And don't compare yourself to others, especially others who have been writing longer than you have. You'll psych yourself out for no good reason.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 3