Samurai Jack 30 members · 10 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1

Yo, what's up people? I'm back in the house with another review.

Today, as part two of my previous television review, I will be reviewing the fifth and final season of "Samurai Jack".

(Yes, I know. It's a pretty intense looking picture.)

Here's this season's summary:

50 years have passed since the events in Season 4, and
unfortunately, things have taken a toll on Jack (once again played by Phil LaMarr). All of the time portals have been destroyed by Aku (played by voice actor Greg Baldwin, replacing the late Mako Iwamatsu), Jack's sword has vanished from him, and he is unable to age because of Aku's time traveling spell. Now, he merely wanders the world, although he still looks out for the innocent.

Things have taken a toll on Aku as well. Unaware that Jack's sword is gone, he has given up trying to kill Jack because every attempt to kill him has failed, sinking him into depression. Countless rebellions have risen against thanks to the impacts Jack made on the world long before the events of the season, much to his chagrin.

Meanwhile, however, an all-female Aku-worshipping cult trains its leader's 7 daughters, among them being the curious-at-heart Ashi (played by Tara Strong). They're mother trains her daughters for one purpose: kill Samurai Jack.

Some of you are most likely asking "Is it any good? Has this sequel-season managed to be equally excellent like its 4-season predecessor?"

The answer to your questions is...YES! YES! IT HAS! All 10 episodes in this season were amazing from start to finish!

They've certainly kicked things up a notch, that's for sure. Because unlike the original seasons, the fifth season & overall story is darker, much more mature, and much more intense. But, it's all in a good way.

I should definitely note that, unlike the previous seasons, which were mostly robots and aliens that Jack fought...this time, Jack will be fighting humans, and blood will be incorporated. The good news, though, is that they didn't get too overly graphic with the violence used on the humans (in this case, chopping people's heads off or something like that), they've stuck to the same tone used in the original, and like I said, it's all in a good way.

Anyway...

Directed by series creator Genndy Tartakovsky, the animation used in this season was able to beautifully succeed the original seasons. It particularly looked like that thanks to the new technology, Tartakovsky and his team of animators were able to do things that they couldn't do before.

While I'm not one for anything involving blood, I will say that the usage of it, particularly in episode 3, was something that I thought was really well-done.

The significant use of sounds and backgrounds, as well as the overall visualization, continues to live on in this season, each quite likely being even better than the last.

The season's music was composed by newcomer Tyler Bates. Bates definitely isn't James L. Venable, but, his music score for the season is equally ground-breaking and awesome. Just like Venable's work in the previous seasons, Bates' composing was able to tell the story through music, even being able to fit in every moment & every character.

The season's overall story was equally ground-breaking. It has a perfect balance and tone, with its faithfulness to the original combined with newfound maturity. Plus, there is a side of humor and light-heartedness to help ease the darker storyline.

I especially loved its themes about choice, lack of choice, destiny, identity, and hope. The latter especially. Jack gave earth's civilians hope that Aku will be defeated, and it was something that I believed related so well to my hope as a Christian. My hope is that thanks to Jesus, the evil in our world will eventually be vanquished.

To quote Genndy Tartakovsky's comment from an interview, on the distinction and parallel between humans and robots:

"I wanted to show the human side that's been treated like a machine. Aku builds robots and all these robots are singularly programmed to kill Jack. What if it's humans? What if the one purpose in your whole life is to kill this one person and you're raised from birth that way?"

To Genndy Tartakovsky: I believe you and your team were able to approach that concept amazingly, especially when you're able to compare the training of Ashi and her sisters to that of Aku's robots, such as Scaramouche (played by Tom Kenny).

The characters, voice acting, and character development, the latter particularly of Jack and Ashi, were at a definite 100%!

I'm not wanting to completely spoil what Ashi's development throughout the season is like, but, it was really awesome and complex. She shows that people can make their own choices and destinies, and not be what someone so despicable wants you to become. Tara Strong gave her character such awesome life, and I believe her role as Ashi is one of the best in her career.

Jack's development of character, particularly coming from his time in the original seasons, was something that I believed him him all-the-more human. He has struggled a lot with his inner demons, and has been faced with times of choice and lack of choice, which is something that I believe a lot of people go though and can relate to. Phil LaMarr has additionally shown that he owns the role of Samurai Jack, continuing to exhibit how he portrayed Jack before, while also projecting Jack's struggles and self-conflicts in this season.

John DiMaggion was able to continually hit the nail on the head with his performance of the Scotsman, and his character was still the most awesome guest character and ally of Jack.

Finally, it all comes down to newcomer Greg Baldwin and his portrayal of Aku.

Baldwin is definitely no Mako Iwamatsu, but...

He really killed it with his portrayal of Aku, and made an awesome fill-in for the late Mako. He gave an excellent impression of Mako and portrayed the character the way he did, but at the same time, he made the character and his portrayal his own. It takes a brilliant voice actor to be able to do all of those things at once.

I definitely can't wait to see the work Mako and Baldwin did in Avatar: The Last Airbender at some point, and I think the latter's career as a voice actor should soar to new heights soon.

Now, if I have to list some problems I had, it would be in episode 6 with the character of Da' Samurai (played by Keegan-Michael Key, replacing David Alan Grier from the 4th season). I think the character is great, and that key performed him well in this season, greatly succeeding Grier (who also did an awesome job), but...I wasn't much of a fan of the three-time cussing the character did. Cussing, of course, is not my schtick, and the use of it did bother me. But, at least it wasn't enough to ruin everything.

In the end, the fifth season of "Samurai Jack" was worth the watch and wait, and it provided an awesome conclusion. It also gives the series an identity, which is a show that's particularly made for teens and adults.

So, I rate "Samurai Jack (Season 5)" a complete five out of five stars.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1