The Society of Mildly Annoyed Liberals 57 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 5 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 5

Unfortunately, I have observed much similar rhetoric in our Left-leaning sphere on FimFiction. The rhetoric itself is not necessarily wrong, but we have now seen an example of someone taking the rhetoric too far. I'll ask all of you to acknowledge the clear moral bankrupcy that comes from Hodgkinson's actions.

Thankfully, no one was killed, aside from the shooter himself, but it is exceedingly important that we recognize the potential of the beliefs we share to incite violent impulses in folks I would characterize as "easily influenced".

We must now expect further scrutiny and distaste from Right-leaning individuals and orgaizations, both online and IRL. This distaste is not necessarily unwarranted, as Leftist attitudes after Trump's Inaguration have been less than stellar. The Left has become very easily enraged, and generally more aggressive in its opposition of the Right. As such, after attitudes like this have produced a politically-motivated action of violence on Federal elements, it becomes more and more important to recognize the negative effects of such attitudes. We cannot allow such partisan, "us vs them" mentalities to become the norm in our modern, civilized society. It's 2017 in America, not 1917 in Russia or 1933 in Germany.

We must make it clear that the actions of Hodgkinson are not reflective of truly Liberal values.
It is not tolerant, or brave, or moral, or heartfelt, or considerate, or intellectual to attempt to kill someone for their political beliefs. That is the most Nazi-esque action this side of the Holocaust.

SuperPinkBrony12
Group Admin

I don't approve of what that guy did for a second. Regardless of how I feel about the GOP and their behavior as of late, I would NEVER have wished such a tragedy upon them, even if THEY wished nothing but ill will on Obama for being a Democrat. We are not a country ruled by savages, we don't solve our problems with guns like we did in the old west, we are a civilized country of law. We believe in the power of the ballot, not the power of the bullet, to enact change.

And I hope that your attitude is the majority opinion.

Comment posted by The Narwhal Assassin deleted Jan 20th, 2018
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 5