Picked by the fands 28 members · 63 stories
Comments ( 17 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 17

I'm trying to start a comment driven story that covers Cheerilee's first school year after graduating. She just filled a position in Ponyville.

The first chapter starts with Cheerilee getting ready for the school year, either tomorrow or the next week. Filthy Rich is there, and they are talking about DT starting school. I'm sitting at about 100-200 words, and I'm out of short-term ideas.

Edit: I'm up to about 250 words. I'm doing a little better on ideas now, but small suggestions are still welcome. I've added a scene where Cheerilee needs to pick something up from a store, but I haven't decided yet.

Umm...dude. Fimfiction doesn't let you publish anything without 1000 words.

I know. That's why I'm after additional ideas.

Oh. Well, to be honest, 100-200 hundred words isn't a lot. I doubt you could make a very interesting chapter with such few words. You could probably have the first chapter be one thousand words easily.

I know. That's why I made this thread looking for suggestions to include to get it to that 1K mark.

Oh. That wasn't made clear. I'll try and think of something.

I'm confused at how you got to so few words going over what you already have.

What's the class itself like. What are the characters doing? What are their expressions? what are they talking about? How do they say it? Do things happen as they talk or are they speaking in dull monotones while standing perfectly still?

The two are alone in the classroom, talking about memories from when Play Write taught them. It's 3rd limited, so Cheerilee shouldn't be seeing her own expressions. Word count is sitting at 191 words.

I think the real problem is that Filthy is there for no reason other than to be there. The focus is inside the schoolhouse, so activity doesn't make sense outside. I suppose I could make Cheerilee lay out more stuff or include their more serious conversation about enrolling DT they've otherwise just finished.

Thanks. Writer's block was striking super hard.

It's third person. The camera is not in Cheerilee's eyes, so of course we'd see what her expression is. We may not know her thoughts, but why would we NOT see her expression. Is she 'facing away from the camera'? Being a book, there's no reason to do that unless you want to.

NicLove
Group Admin

Maybe you can add some FLUFF !

tack about the number of tables, where the books are in the room, how many pents she had, what she needs to get, what they should add, what the kids have to bring for the school, what the school already have for the kids ...

Edit: p.s. Do you want use to give some of our O.C.s ?

The scene takes place when Cheerilee is still getting ready for school: the foals aren't there yet. I took a look at screenshots of the classroom, and the things that aren't either desks or stuff on desks are pretty sparse.

The style I've been developing have been variations on limited 3rd where the narrator remembers everything the character does, but doesn't necessarily know their thoughts. I've done it both ways. Either way, the camera actually is in Cheerilee's eyes as written so far. If her thoughts aren't accessible, the narrator's perception can still be colored by what she focuses on.

I'm also trying to force myself to write in past tense, since my present tense stories often face near-universal condemnation from anyone who says anything about the tense, but more importantly, I don't have a draw to write in present tense this time.

NicLove
Group Admin

That should stop you from adding things into the room.

I can still work with what is there. I'm thinking about bookending a three scene chapter with the three-legged stool she will eventually use.

I usually prefer to do my own art, but this one feels almost too good not to at least reference. The title, "First Day of Class" is almost too perfect.

https://pre00.deviantart.net/6834/th/pre/i/2017/089/d/3/_mlp__first_day_of_class_by_mechanized515-db41rki.png

Edit: Image will not embed. It's a picture of Cheerilee standing in front of her desk, with a little bit of chaos from the class behind the camera.

NicLove
Group Admin

three-legged stool she will eventually use.

three-legged stool ?

What stool ?

It's clearly visible in a few clips. It was there for the Season 1 lesson in Cutie Marks, but this one shows it without obstruction. Visible in the last segment.

OK, I'm after a name for the Golden Oaks librarian before Twilight. So far, I've considered Dr. Whooves or an OC who moves away before Twilight arrives.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 17