FiMTheory 164 members · 32 stories
Comments ( 7 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 7
Julia
Group Admin

Do you think Chaos Magic can be copied by a pony as powerful as Twilight?

What do you think the extents of Chaos Magic are?

Kirito-Persona
Group Admin

We've seen what Discord is capable of, if anything I think it's the strongest magic in Equestria.:twilightsmile:

Julia
Group Admin

It either originates from Discord's Chaos dimension, or it created Discord's Chaos dimension. We've seen Tirek take the magic, but we never saw him use it. The closest to Chaos Magic we've seen anypony use is Twilight. She's caused some sort of Chaos with her love spell, she's turned herself into paper, she can teleport, flip gravity, etc.

I don't think Twilight's studying regular magic. I think she's been studying Chaos magic this whole time!

I think she's been studying Chaos magic this whole time!

I want to believe

Again, you forget Pinkie Pie. Her Pinkie Sense is similar to how Discord wobbles when he feels disturbances in the magical field. She can sometimes teleport and shape-shift instinktively. The list goes on.

My headcanon is that Twilight usually uses a kind of Order Magic, which needs rules and concentration. Since she is pretty much the archmage of Equestria, she probably could use Chaos Magic, but that requires the user to un-concentrate on what they want to do, and this is pretty hard for her, while Pinkie and Discord can do it easily.

Depends on what you mean by Chaos Magic.
Do you call it Chaos Magic just because Discord uses it, and he likes to cause trouble, hence "chaos"?
Or do you actually mean CHAOS MAGICK? Either as a representation of Chaos Magick IRL, or takes heavy inspiration from its principles? It is a real discipline in our world (though results may vary).

If we consider Discord's magic to be Chaos Magick, then no it would be impossible for Twilight to master it. Her entire personality is antithetical to the principles of CM, which emphasizes nonconformity, fluidity of self-identity, altered state of consciousness/ emptiness of mind, and discarding of all paradigms and absolutes.

Julia
Group Admin

I just thought it seemed fascinating that if Twilight were learning how to manipulate nature and beings in such a way, and sometimes with such ease, then maybe there's more to her magic than we actually know.

Chaos is a force that, in many mythologies, exists before all other forces and in fact is usually what creates those forces to begin with. Therefore, Chaos can manipulate everything. Chaos Magic isn't the ability to simply cause trouble, it's just the ability to cause, which is why I think Twilight's magic is so close to Discord's. We've seen that Celestia can control the celestial bodies of the heavens. We've seen Luna infiltrate dreams and do all sorts of things within them. We've seen Cadance use her love magic. But with Twilight's, we've seen so much more than just that. She can warp reality with her magic, which is the ability to simply cause.

Maybe Twilight doesn't have Chaos Magic, but perhaps she's just closer to being on Discord's level than we thought.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 7