Hazardous Writing Materials and Challenges 236 members · 336 stories
Comments ( 7 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 7
HapHazred
Group Admin

Well, we had a surprisingly good turnout for the first prompt (which you can find here, if you're interested in reading some cool short stories), and I'm hoping this next one will bring a few more interesting little reads.

Unfortunately, there's less meta in this prompt than last time.

New prompt:

Moon

So many things to be done with moon. Luna, for example. A romantic moonlit dinner (AppleDash for extra points). Maybe the CMC are partaking in the age-old schoolbus tradition of mooning at passers by (look it up).

These threads are primarily for short stories that aren't too big, but the previous thread got some proper stories that were published on FimFiction too, which is really cool. Prompts are typically less than 1.5K words in length.

I actually forgot to mention it last thread, but keep things SFW, since I, well, marked the group as SFW. Other than that, anything goes so long as it pertains to the prompt word somehow!

HapHazred
Group Admin

Well, as per usual, here's my own little something.

Celestia's eyes danced across the dozens of papers on her desk. Some were written in crisp, clean writing... and thankfully these were the majority of her mail. Others looked like they had been written with a shaky hoof and to her dismay, the odd inkstain scattered the page.

She was running out of daylight, too, and the chamber was getting darker, and darker. At the very least, she didn't have to interrupt her work to transition the day into night fully as she used to... but on the flip-side of things, that meant she wasn't as in charge of her own schedule as before.

She was drawn from the letters and forms on her desk by a sudden, sharp knock on her door. The Princess of the Sun blinked, readying herself for whatever new task awaited her. Despite her best efforts, she still let out a small sigh.

"Enter."

The door swung open, brushing aside what little dust and dirt lay on Celestia's doorstep from her repeated visits. Powerful yet dainty hooves first, Luna, Celestia's sister strode into the room. Unlike her usual visits, not even the slightest hint of a smile could be seen playing her lips.

"Sister," she greeted, as if that was enough for a polite greeting. Celestia nodded.

"Luna. What brings you up here?"

Hovering in the air, wrapped in mystical floating ribbons of magic, were a small handful of letters. Celestia's heart sunk into her stomach. More mail.

"I have recieved..." Luna began, her face twisting into a subtle smile, "some of your fanmail."

Celestia leaned back in her chair, relieved. "Oh, thank heavens. Just put them in the corner with the others, will you?"

Luna darkened, if that was even possible. "Of course, sister."

Celestia hesitated. "Is there a matter of some concern?"

Luna shrugged. "I was simply unaware that you received mail from fans at all," she said. "Is this a regular occurrence?"

Celestia nodded. "Well, I do lift the sun for them," she explained. "Don't you get similar mail?"

Luna nodded. "Yes. Once. I kept it for my scrapbook."

Celestia frowned. "That's unusual," she muttered, and levitated the letters Luna brought her to her own desk. "Anyway, they're hardly anything special after the nine-thousandth letter, really. I've been getting them since I installed the postal service of Equestria." She cleared her throat. "I'll read them to you, you'll see."

Luna snorted. "We should like to think so trivially of them after our own nine-thousandth... although at this rate I suspect the moon might turn to dust."

Celestia ignored her sister and opened the letter. Although her eyes were tired, she scanned the entire length of the message in an instant. "Luna, what made you think this was mine?"

"It is from the beach," Luna explained. "Beaches have a certain reliance on the sun for tourism and the like. Also tanning of coats." She glanced at her own coat. "I do not seem to benefit from it much, however."

Celestia smirked. "Very well. Dear Princess... thank you very much for your hard work this month. We loved the thing you did with the wiggly water recently..."

"What is this peasant referring to?"

"I'm sure it's a technical term. The tides have been better than ever before, and a dozen or so fisherponies are real grateful this side of Baltimare. Please keep up the good work. Signed, Blubber Lubber."

Luna's frown seemed frozen. "What is this nonsense? Why is he discussing the tides?"

"Because, Luna, this letter was addressed to you," Celestia explained, holding the letter out to her sister. "The moon affects the tides significantly, does it not?"

"Well... yes. I altered the cycle somewhat to make them a bit smoother based on my spies... my focus group's reports."

"It seems it has not gone unnoticed," Celestia said. "The moon affects ponies in strange ways, sometimes. Everything does."

Luna took the letter back. "I... simply assumed." She picked her letters back up from where she left them, smiling at last. "I suspect I have a few more entries for my scrapbook. Thank you very much for... putting up with my mood, 'Tia."

Celestia nodded. "Anytime."

HapHazred
Group Admin

4581638 I dunno.

My own theory is that I'm made of incredibly dense awesomeness, and the awesomeness of everyone around me gets sucked in due to the power of awesome gravity (like normal gravity, but better) leaving everyone but me less awesome until I collapse in on myself.

And probably die. It's a grim fate, but such is the cost of being awesome. It's also why Rainbow Dash is the real main villain of the show.

Hah!

I've had two Luna stories I've wanted to write for a long time now! Guess I'll try and work on one of them...

EDIT Yeah, this ain't happening. I'm working on one of the stories right now... but it's hit about a thousand words and I'm only getting ti started now. So... it's going to be it's own "thing", rather than for this.
(Of course, no doubt most of this is padding, and I should be trying to write shorter, but...)

HapHazred
Group Admin

Oops, forgot to lock.

Looks like I was the only one man enough to write for this one. Ah well, onto the next one: Changeling

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 7