The Nexus 38 members · 120 stories
Comments ( 7 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 7

So we've all had that moment where we've had that magnificent idea... that wonderful, stunning, hilarious, terrifying, or out-of-the-blue idea... that would probably make a fantastic piece of work but we just don't have the time/skill/ideas/wherewithal to actually make them happen.

Feel free to share them here! This is a thread for those ideas you'd really like to see written - or even write yourself! - but it's just not happening right now for whatever reason. The other members can adopt your ideas for their own, or give advice, or just discuss them... or take them and twist them into a dark parody that barely resembles the original and grows into a monstrous entity all its own. (Would we do that? :scootangel:)

Make it clear when you post whether the idea you're posting is up for adoption or just discussion. If one of the latter develops sufficient momentum and interest, it's probably worth making a separate thread about it, but until then...

Discuss!

So, since I posted, I'll start... This is one I've had rolling around my head since someone gave me the idea in the comments on something I posted.

So given that we all have been on this site for a while, we're probably all familiar with the concept of the Displaced. Cosplay, get shiny, trip to Equestria with appropriate powers, be a villain.

Let's parody the hell out of it.

A young man came to a convention... dressed up as a Brony. He's not, actually, he's just doing it to troll his friends. The Merchant gives him a plush Luna doll.

Upon arriving in Equestria, he finds himself empowered with the abilities of Bronies!

This is actually slightly more concerning than it sounds. After all, there are Bronies who know -everything- about the show... and every pony. So he can recite all sorts of interesting (and embarrassing) facts about just about any pony he chooses. He can produce artwork of incredible quality at a whim of the ponies. And he can brushie brushie ponies into a state of bliss and stupor, possibly addictive. (Perhaps they ended up banishing/petrifying him when he was distracted with brushieing Luna, which may have led to NMM...)

Going for the same sort of dark humour you'd see in DannyJ's "Human", taking ridiculousness far too seriously in character.

Just imagine being Celestia trying to explain why he's dangerous to the mane six.

:trollestia: "Under no circumstances let him get close enough to touch you... and don't listen to anything he says."

:twilightoops:"What is he going to do, Princess?"

:trollestia:*entirely serious* "He's going to love and tolerate the shit out of us."

Main problem I have is actually figuring out a personality and motivation for the actual displaced himself, beyond just trolling everyone. Anyone's welcome to have at it some if they're bored, or just come up with some entertaining scenes that might happen.

4518860 If he was immortal you could handwave it as him just being epically bored.

This idea is just for discussion as I want to start writing it within a week or so.

It starts as a Slice of Life type story in the depths of Hive Chrysalis, following her rather spoiled daughter Princess Tiara and her sukkal (a Changeling word for body-servant) Ninshubar. Ninshubar is secretly in love with the Princess she serves although she's scared of admitting it in case Tiara does not feel the same way. The two go to school within the Hive. In this fic, Changelings think of themselves as a chosen people, and consider themselves superior to other races, much as in real life not so long ago the majority of whites considered themselves superior to non whites. Only changelings can change shape or survive on water and love alone after all. A racist poem is read out at the start of assembly (Take up the Changeling's burden) and the headmaster tells them to think of themselves as the superior race of Equestria. Schooling is partly *normal* lessons like maths and that sort of thing, and partly changing and the creation of cover stories. Discipline is strict but not oppressive.

Many fics have changelings either as misunderstood and good, or utterly evil beings. Neither is the case here; the changelings only rarely cocoon ponies, getting most love through infiltrators . Cocooning is done for protection of the Hive, to replace certain important ponies, or in emergency self defence. 90% of the love is brought back through infiltration or just gathering up the love ponies give off. However, in most cases in this fic the changelings are racist and full of themselves, like pre 1960s southern whites. Other races in the widely held changeling world view are there to make love to feed changelings.

Part 2 has Tiara being sent out to live amongst ponies in disguise for a while as a test, with her taking the name Diamond Tiara and Ninshubar the name of Silver Spoon.

So what do you think? How can I make the story fun and interesting and avoid changeling clichés?

Jade Ring
Group Admin

Alright, here's some story ideas and plots up for grabs.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Twilight Sparkle: Re-Animator
-Horror
Deep in the pile of books Princess Twilight has received in her new castle is the journal of Hoofer West, a brilliant be supposedly deranged scientist who believed he had created a formula that could raise the dead. Intrigued, Twilight enlists Fluttershy to bring her all of her animals that expire.

The early experiments with the serum are a success, but the re-animated animals are all mad and vicious when they rise again. Twilight seeks to try an experiment on a pony but Fluttershy refuses. Twilight summons Moon Dancer from Canterlot who is all too willing to help.

Together, they dig up the recently deceased Granny Smith and re-animate her. Granny is a wild animal and escapes the castle lab. She murders Bon Bon before Lyra can put her down. Reasoning that Granny’s body was not fresh enough, Twilight and Moon Dancer convince Lyra to assist them and bring them Bon Bon’s corpse.

Bon Bon is re-animated but begins to show signs of aggression. Against Moon Dancer’s wishes, Twilight lobotomizes her. As Lyra goes to the authorities, Twilight and Moon Dancer argue. When Moon Dancer threatens to steal the serum, Twilight attacks her and severs her head.
Not wasting a moment, Twilight re-animates her. Moon Dancer is in full control and magically puppets her body into knocking Twilight out. Lyra returns with the authorities to find that Twilight is alone, the lab is destroyed, and Moon Dancer is gone. Moon Dancer remembers that Twilight told her that Fluttershy was her first assistant and goes to murder her.

Twilight and Lyra bust in just in time to save her. Moon Dancer laughs and reveals that she is able to control the dead minds of the re-animated. Before she came to Fluttershy’s cottage, she went to the cemetery first. The floor of the cottage collapses and Twilight sacrifices herself to the attacking hordes of the undead while Lyra and Fluttershy escape. Twilight is torn apart.

No trace of Moon Dancer or the undead are ever found, though rumors persist that someone has set up a lab in the ruins of the Castle of the Two Sisters. The story ends with Moon Dancer and a stitched together, re-animated, and fully evil Twilight continuing their research into re-animation.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

As you can see, I really went far in the development of this one. ‘Herbert West: Re-Animator’ is one of my favorite Lovecraft stories and a damn fine movie to boot. The last missing piece was Moon Dancer, but even now I doubt my ability to tell this tale to its fullest.

Where No Mare Has Gone Before
-Sci Fi

Garden Mist is a simple earth pony mare who lives on the outskirts of Ponyville with her elderly father. One day, a meteorite falls into their front yard. Mist touches it and falls into a week-long coma. When she awakens, she begins to display abilities beyond her and knowledge she shouldn’t know.

Celestia tasks the Mane 6 to determine if she’s a threat. As the days go by, Mist’s powers grow. She realizes that soon she will achieve what can only be described as god-hood.

After Twilight discloses that she thinks she is a threat, Mist attacks and easily defeats the Mane 6. She goes to attack the Princesses but is stopped by her father suffering a heart attack. She realizes that she can’t save him sheds her mortal body to unite with his. Father and daughter ascend into a new plane of existence.

Back in Canterlot, Celestia and Luna examine the meteorite and worry if more are coming. The story ends with a meteor shower over Equestria.

An obvious homage to the classic episode of Star Trek, I even went as far as giving the main character the same initials as Gary Mitchell. I also love the Twilight Zone-esque ending. This would be a major character piece, so I wish someone more used to deep character convos could have at it.

It’s Not Exactly Cheating
-Clop

Cadance and Shining Armor’s marriage has lost its spark. When pressed, Shining confesses that he misses Cadance as she appeared in high school. Cadance uses the time travel spell to bring her younger self to the future for an unforgettable night of debauchery.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Inspired by the card of the same name from that Twilight Sparkle’s Shipping card game thing. Someone better at clop than I am please take this idea from me!

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Time After Time
-Romance

Shining Armor invites Discord for a friendly drink. While trying to get the Draconequus drunk, Shining confesses that he often wonders if he could have attracted Cadance earlier than he did. The next morning, Shining awakens as a teenage colt. Discord informs him that they’ve travelled back in time so Shining can test his theory. Instead, Shining completely screws everything up and makes Cadance hate him. Discord explains that the timeline has been altered; if they go back to the future, then everything will be changed. Shining must retell his own love story in a wholly different way. Twists, turns, and the possibility that Shining might have a future with somepony he never expected.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Part tribute to Back to the Future, part Hot Tub Time Machine. This one I would love to HELP write, since the major conflict of the story (Shining having to choose between pursuing Cadance or trying life with another mare) is something that almost makes me literally drool.

Plus I love the image of Shining Armor and Discord as drinking buddies.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Carol of the Belles
-Slice of Life

It’s Hearth’s Warming Eve and Rarity is once again fighting with Sweetie Belle. After one comment cuts to the bone, Sweetie Belle runs into the snowy night in tears. Rarity chases after her and soon the pair and completely lost in a building blizzard. Freezing, the sisters apologize. Sweetie Belle, suddenly struck with inspiration, starts to sing. Rarity joins in and their singing calms the winds and allows them to get home. Sweetie Belle shakes off the snow… and finds her cutie mark.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

This was going to be in the ‘Hearth’s Warming Eve Carols,’ but that story got scrapped. This could be written with Rarity and Sweetie Belle as sisters or even as a part of my Continuity where they’re mother and daughter.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

The Mysterious Mare-Do-Well Rises
-Adventure

A nameless mare arrives in Ponyville and assumes the mantle of the Mysterious Mare-Do-Well. She struggles to gain the trust of the Mane 6 to various degrees of success. Word of the new superhero spreads and villains begin to rise in Ponyville. When her new enemies unite, the Mysterious Mare-Do-Well will need to seek help in the least likely of places.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

My love letter to Batman: the Animated Series, this would feature a number of ponified Bat-Villains, the return of the Power Ponies, and a running mystery as to who the new Mare-Do-Well is. I would be willing to help develop this.

Time After Time
-Romance

Fucking hell.

Let me add some comedy and I'm all over this one, mate. All for co-writing it, too, 'cause I suck at romance.

Seriously, if only for the chance of showing Canterlot a couple years ago. Taking the comics as canon, or completely different 'verse?

Jade Ring
Group Admin

4668025 YES. I am a hundred and ten percent onboard with this. All of this.

It actually takes place about a year before the comics, but it is canon with them. Shining remembers how he won Cadance's heart before and lets those events influence his actions after he pisses her off, but slowly realizes that they might not work.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 7